Full timers - How long did it take you?
    TO ALL THE PROS.......

How long did it take for you to go from your first posted blog to.....

1. your first sale?

2. quitting your day job

3. buying your own Carribbean island? (or such as this, like assured retirement or whatnot)

How much went into it? What was the most important thing you learned?

Was there a "EUREKA" moment when you changed something, everything clicked, and it was then all uphill from there?

Any info and/or responses are greatly appreciated, and any brief summaries/essays on your successful uphill climb will be treasured and heavily pored over.

Thanks

Everyone pretty much is chopping their own road up the hill. If you had a detailed list of every single thing that one or another person did you may or may not find any happiness following that path. Look at it this way - if there was a highway straight to success, wouldn't it be crowded? It isn't a secret key or a magic formula that no one will share, but what works for me might not help you one iota. You have to build your own empire, Grasshopper. Rather than poring over "How I Made My First Million", get busy with your own machete. Read, learn, observe, try, have patience to be able to see what you are doing right or wrong. Sure, ask, but be specific when you want a real answer.

3. Thanks From:

All of my posts on this site so far (since I have joined) have asked very specific questions. I suppose I am trying to change up the flavor and get some strategic inspiration from a healthy injection of general hard work=success stories from the gurus by starting a light-hearted thread on the subject.

You see, I see soooo much information in front of me, and I am having a hard time using this info to form an idea(s) unique to myself, which will draw all of my energy and focus. I don't need a specific strategy to mimic - I just need to get inspired for an approach to finding a specific strategy for myself.

I have gotten some wonderful specific advice on specific questions so far, but I am trying to find my focus, and I am afraid of burning out in the search.

It's as if I am a forward in a basketball game, being shown (by the coach) mutliple ways to get the ball to the net in arrows drawn on a chalkboard. I am lost because I don't even know how what a 'screen' is or how to dribble or shoot a foul shot yet, much less 'cut inside and post from the screen'. I want desperately to draw my own arrow, and I know that many of those who succeeded did so in part, at least, from ideas triggered by watching the rise of others.

Any succesful sports star always quotes other, earlier sports stars as inspiration to their success and may perhaps have developed their unique style/approach based on inspiration of the earlier stars, not by copying them exactly. That's kinda what I'm trying to do.

BTW...thanks for the prompt reeply.

For an approach to finding your strategy,: have no fear of failure, there is no failure, only learning. There is no mistake-proof way to get going. I've seen that your questions aren't the usual "tell me how to do this", you are just not diving in yet. I don't doubt that you'll do well once you start.

If you have no experience in working with websites, spend some time learning some html, w3schools lets you practice as you learn, it is free and you stop and start where you want. You will need to know some html, even if you're using blogger or WP.

Get familiar with Google's Webmaster Guidelines to have a good understanding of how they evaluate your work, things to avoid as you build.

Get familiar with the tools you will use, a good Text Editor is important, for Windows: Notepad++ (free) for Mac: TextWrangler (Free). Image editing: for Windows: either Irfanview (Free) or GIMP (also Free and good on Mac, too).

Learn why you need to learn image editing at the developers tools from Google, and about Image Optimization. The more you learn, the better you you will do.

Reading through other peoples' fight to the top, or at least up into the foothills can't help you as much as solid information about the nuts and bolts of how this works. Your inspiration comes from building your site the best you can and watching it grow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    For an approach to finding your strategy,: have no fear of failure, there is no failure, only learning. There is no mistake-proof way to get going. I've seen that your questions aren't the usual "tell me how to do this", you are just not diving in yet. I don't doubt that you'll do well once you start.

If you have no experience in working with websites, spend some time learning some html, w3schools lets you practice as you learn, it is free and you stop and start where you want. You will need to know some html, even if you're using blogger or WP.

Get familiar with Google's Webmaster Guidelines to have a good understanding of how they evaluate your work, things to avoid as you build.

Get familiar with the tools you will use, a good Text Editor is important, for Windows: Notepad++ (free) for Mac: TextWrangler (Free). Image editing: for Windows: either Irfanview (Free) or GIMP (also Free and good on Mac, too).

Learn why you need to learn image editing at the developers tools from Google, and about Image Optimization. The more you learn, the better you you will do.

Reading through other peoples' fight to the top, or at least up into the foothills can't help you as much as solid information about the nuts and bolts of how this works. Your inspiration comes from building your site the best you can and watching it grow.
    This is gold. Thank you very much.

Hopefully, with these tools, I will have my site started - with quality blogs - at week's out. I think I'll be ready to jump off the diving board.

Thank you again, very, very much.

7. Thanks From:

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread