Am I losing it?
    Am I not seeing the pitfalls in the following idea?

I can imagine myself making multiple super-niche sites with the specific keyword-focused URLs and individual domains....

BUT.......

Could I not just consolidate multiple highly niched categories under one general (but related) domain?

One site, multiple focused verticals...let's say....a site that focuses on leisure time with categories of:

traveling cheap
    music gear reviews for the musician hobbyist
    articles on relieving stress
    top ten hometown/local escapes

For that matter, could I not just post whatever blog subjects come to mind, from ANY random subject under the sun, and apply banners/links/ads on those isolated posts that relate to the subject at hand?

I don't really need to create an entire website focused on one super niche for SEO, do I?

Or do I?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Usually targeted sites do well, for starters because Google doesn't have to figure out what your site is about. I'd keep them separate, cause those really are different topics, unless you're Wikipedia.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Also if you apply to an affiliate program and your site is random you will most likely be rejected.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Separate is better, but don't count on a whole lot of success if you cannot devote sufficient time to each one to keep adding new content. I would not recommend putting up a bunch of sites at one time and then have to keep updating them all. One at a time would be a better plan, until you see a measure of success with each one.

As to a blog that contains random posts, also not the greatest plan. A blog should focus on a general topic and then it can include posts on various sub-topics, but there should be some general unifying factor running through the majority of them.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

6. Thanks From:

I apologize for not answering prior to now, especially since you were all good enough to reply so promptly to my initial post.

This is good information. I haven't actually pulled the trigger and started anything yet...I wanted to be sure I began with the correct game plan versus shotgunning the web with an overly generalized game plan.

These replies have helped me narrow my focus to a somewhat workable strategy....I thank you all.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Paralysis of analysis! Get started with a mini plan then adjust based on the success you have. You could have the most eloquent plan and find out after six months that you missed the marketing or traffic portion as you were too focused on building the site. Or picking the perfect keyword. The lessons are learned by the journey not the plan.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Paralysis of analysis! Get started with a mini plan then adjust based on the success you have
    +1

I think the OP is too obsessed(sorry I know it's a strong word) with getting everything right even before launch. Not to discourage you, but your 1st blog is not going to be Mashable or Gizmodo overnight. You will have plenty of time to reshape, change directions, tweak before it even attracts 100 visitors daily. So get started. Case in point, abestweb.com is not the most elegant name for an affiliate marketing forum. And it may not have started that way either, at least in the mind of the previous owner. But it did succeed with time and effort.

So start doing something and stop over-planning. To answer your question "Am I losing it", NO, you can't really lose anything before you start.

10. Thanks From:

As mentioned above, if you are not Wikipedia or a very popular contents website, you will just end up with a site with lots of categories and each category has less than 10 articles.

You will distract your visitors, each visitor will feel that you are not really talking him.

Focus on a field that you are most good at, and start writing. By choosing only merchants in the same field, you will do better for yourself and your merchants.

Good info....thanks!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread