Datafeed Whack-A-Mole
    The never-ending issues with "Datafeeds Gone Bad" has become beyond tolerable. There are threads all over ABW about this and I constantly report datafeed issues to PopShops and the AM or OPM. This has been a particularly bad week.

I'm suggesting OPMs, AMs and networks step up to the plate and do an intervention . This could be an additional profit center.

Everyone loses when datafeeds aren't compliant. It seems that at least with PopShops, an account can be set up where OPMs, AMs can check 2-3 times a day to see if feeds are functional for their merchants. It's very easy: a blue box displays with "Inactive in datafeed" or click on the merchant's name and you'll see a blue box with a ? if images are missing. Takes a couple of minutes. Contact merchant as soon as you see an issue. Be proactive!

I'm sure GoldenCan and other aff aggregators could also be easily checked if the merchant is in one of them.

If too many issues, then work with your own talent, internal IT or outsource fixes for a fee.

Right now, it seems that affiliates are the ones on top of this, which is ridiculous. We can't do anything but report, report, report, ad nauseam.

I have no idea what a truly viable solution is. All I'm suggesting is that you can't leave datafeeds up to the merchant and, somehow, figure out a way to manage their feeds. It's a win for all.

P.S. - then promote "managed datafeed" to affiliates :-)
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

2. Thanks From:

ChannelAdvisor has feeds that they offer
    But with a larger number of feeds the price does seem to weigh in

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I have never understood why setting up a datafeed isn't trivial. All sites are run by database and if the database can send the information to the site then it can send the information to a datafeed. You write a simple cron that wakes up once a day, captures the database puts it in a file and then ftps it to the networks. Simple, and that file should be as accurate as the website. It certainly has to be easier than scraping a site and that isn't that hard (usually).

Of course there are two problems here, 1) the datafeed is bad or which looks probably similar to the affiliates using popshops et al (i don't use them so I'm not certain). 2) the datafeed is out of date.

But it is what it is and we'll have to deal with it.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

5. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Most datafeeds take several hours to provision then several hours to test. All told it may cost a company a half a day for a tech beginning to end. Most techs are backlogged and its hard to get resources allocated. I agree its not moving a mountain but merchants don't value datafeeds because its hard to project if they will be used by affiliates.

7. Thanks From:

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Yeah, that seems right 1/2 a day i.e. 3 1/2 hours. It certainly should take less time to have a dozen or so professionally looking banners. Aren't the graphic people busy too and just because you make a banner doesn't mean anyone is going to use it. Between goldencan and popshops that datafeed is definitely going to be used as many people as a banner ad.

But the point is that once its done it should pretty much work forever automatically. The database structure may change but the major fields used to create the datafeed shouldn't.

Of course if they don't get it done right, I'll work around it.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I ask merchants to make a reduced set of banners to get started then expand it when I get requests for other sizes. That way we can get the program launched and not stretch it out six months.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread