OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    China's Alibaba, anyone figure it out?
    When the Alibaba Group goes public later this month in an offering that could value the company at about $160 billion, investors will have little doubt about who is in control of the company.

Alibaba, a company started out of Mr. Ma’s apartment in 1999, is now a technology colossus worth more than American stalwarts like eBay and Hewlett-Packard. Under his leadership, Alibaba has become not just the dominant force in China’s e-commerce but also a symbol of the country’s breathtaking economic rise. The company has 250 million active buyers in China, and its orders account for more than 60 percent of all package deliveries in China.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/bu...in-charge.html

All of my merchants sell 20-40% of their eCommerce sales on Amazon. I am working with a company that optimizes Amazon and CSEs. Its become part of the eCommerce equation. Anyone have a line on selling through alibaba.com?

I'm not aware of anyone but Chinese selling on Alibaba. To me, it seems like a marketplace for Chinese knockoff's of Anglo products. E.g. we sent the designs overseas for manufacturing and someone stole the plans and started a new company.

That being said, I do occasionally buy electronic circuits from them for hobby projects. The parts are much, much cheaper, even though they sometimes ship from China and take a long time to arrive.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I am more interested in selling US products to the Chinese masses. 250 million buyers is an attractive number.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I am more interested in selling US products to the Chinese masses. 250 million buyers is an attractive number.
    Not sure. Alibaba has a lot of web properties:

Alibaba Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Alibaba and 1688 are B2B and more focused on wholesale.

Taobao is like eBay I think.

Maybe AliExpress is what you want? AliExpress.com - Online Shopping for Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles from China.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

That looks more like it, thanks. I keep hearing Alibaba on the news probably due to the huge IPO planned.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread