Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rakuten Acquired Ebates
    I was surprised that no one here is talking about this yet.

Rakuten to Acquire Ebates for $1 Billion | Business Wire

"Rakuten, Inc. (4755:TOKYO) today announced that it has agreed to acquire Ebates Inc. (hereinafter “Ebates”), provider of the largest cash-back shopping web site in North America. The Company will acquire Ebates for a total consideration of $1 billion in cash, and will hold 100% of Ebates outstanding voting stock."
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

2. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Not exactly going out on a limb here, but think we'll see some big merger and acquisitions in 2015. Smaller companies will merge to compete, bigger companies will acquire.

Way of the world, any more...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I think it's more than just merger and acquisition though. How can any other cash back sites get better deals than Ebates now with Linkshare-managed programs? Isn't there an inherent conflict of interest?

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Anarchy. I'm terminating all of my Linkshare programs immediately.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineTricia View Post
    Isn't there an inherent conflict of interest?
    Conflict of interest and LS! Don't/didn't they own OneCause? Ebates and OneCause are quite similar in their business model. Ebates will fit right in.

8. Thanks From:

Sadly, nothing new for Linkshare. I've shifted a tremendous amount of my business from Linkshare (and CJ, which is only marginally better) to ShareASale in the past 10 years.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Head of Content

Couldn't resist! Here's some info from us - we spoke to Quidco and Top Cashback about the valuation and potential conflicts - Rebate Sites Weigh in on Rakuten's $1 Billion Deal for US Publisher | PerformanceIN - also includes an email sent from Tony Zito to publishers:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Actually Chuck had posted something about this too. Should be interesting to watch what happens next.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    Actually Chuck had posted something about this too. Should be interesting to watch what happens next.
    Looks like that is a protected forum. No wonder I hadn't seen anything!

Hmmm - just thinking out loud here - may be time for some "less than eBates size" affiliates to merge...

14. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Isn't eBate the owner of Fatwallet? What about Fatwallet?

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Hmmm - just thinking out loud here - may be time for some "less than eBates size" affiliates to merge...
    Amen!

So I am on ShareASale as a merchant
    Any recommendations on whether I should stay put or move somewhere else
    Not big enough to matter either way, but now I am curious to find out

Quote Originally Posted by dcs View Post
    So I am on ShareASale as a merchant
    Any recommendations on whether I should stay put or move somewhere else
    Not big enough to matter either way, but now I am curious to find out
    Ummm, why in the world would you move AWAY from Shareasale?

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineTricia View Post
    I think it's more than just merger and acquisition though. How can any other cash back sites get better deals than Ebates now with Linkshare-managed programs? Isn't there an inherent conflict of interest?
    I'm right there with you SunshineTricia. This kind of news will definitely be taken into consideration in my future development plans. It is one thing when two affiliate-revenue-based businesses merge. It is another thing whenever it's an affiliate management company buying an affiliate-revenue-based business.

Quote Originally Posted by jtoddv View Post
    I'm right there with you SunshineTricia. This kind of news will definitely be taken into consideration in my future development plans. It is one thing when two affiliate-revenue-based businesses merge. It is another thing whenever it's an affiliate management company buying an affiliate-revenue-based business.
    This isn't new. LS has already done this in the past and CJ has also owned affiliate properties. With the sale of CJ, I'm not sure if those properties were part of the sale - haven't bothered to look...

22. Thanks From:

There's more going on and I'm not 100% convinced it's beneficial.

Dear John,

On behalf of Rakuten Marketing, thank you for allowing me to take a brief moment of your time to share our vision for the future of digital marketing – the omni experience – which we are unveiling today in conjunction with a newly redesigned website and rebranding structure. Omni experience goes beyond the operational view of omni-channel marketing. It views the experience through the eyes of the consumer, orchestrating the customer experience across all channels, so that it is seamless, integrated, consistent, and can be easily tracked.

Let’s face it: marketing today is complicated. Managing all consumer touch points requires working with multiple vendors, which makes efficiency and obtaining holistic insights challenging. We believe it’s time for a better approach – the omni experience – which consolidates all channel offerings into a single platform and dashboard for full transparency into the customer funnel – and helps marketers get back to actual marketing.

The omni experience is a part of our larger vision to drive the marketing industry forward with the people, innovative thinking, and transparency that go beyond what is possible. To see this vision through, we’ve redefined each line of business under the Rakuten Marketing brand. Independently these channels will continue to deliver best-in-class advertising solutions, and together they will transcend marketing borders that drive the omni experience. As of today, our core services are:

Rakuten Affiliate Network (formerly LinkShare), the number one ranked affiliate marketing service, creating profitable and innovative partnerships;

Rakuten Display (formerly MediaForge), enables one-to-one marketing across devices through precise targeting, custom dynamic creative, and engagement measurement;

Rakuten Attribution (formerly DC Storm), allows marketers to uncover the true performance of their campaigns with an unbiased, transparent view into each media channel; and

Rakuten Search, a full service paid search agency that specializes in boosting sales and brand authority across devices.

We are committed to maintaining the same level of customer service by providing best-in-class affiliate, attribution, display, and search services. Additionally, the newly redesigned Rakuten Marketing website maintains clients’ direct and easy access to their respective channel logins.

Our mission is to inspire better marketing by empowering our clients with uncommon insights and a deeper understanding of the consumer path to purchase, so they can exceed their goals and provide a better consumer experience.

We appreciate your commitment to Rakuten Marketing products and services, and we look forward to working together with you to drive the omni experience and digital marketing forward into the future.

Should you have any questions about today’s announcement, please contact your Rakuten Marketing account manager.

Best Regards,

Tony Zito
    President
    Rakuten Marketing

24. Thanks From:
    kse

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    So is this a rebrand to Omni experience from Rakuten?

I'll find out more.

ABW Ambassador
    what else is new, just another slap in the face by the industry heavy weights, I still think this is one of the most corrupt industry's one could ever be involved in. What other industry do you see such things? CJ are just as bad, they have purchased big coupon sites so they can take commissions from competing affiliates. The also only approve their own coupon sites to have coupons and promotions on them like Zappos etc but never allow affiliate coupon sites to promote them, If they do they will be threated to have their accounts terminated, Yes it's just another step forward to wipe out affiliates by these 2 networks.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

28. Thanks From:

It's amazing!

Just over a decade ago (2003) when I discovered ABW, that was one of the first bad words that I learned around here... { } ...

If I knew then what I am learning now...

I may not have wasted my time on a lost cause and perhaps done like so many others have done... Take the money and run...

But at the end, I am glad I am a Capricorn, I don't bend over and I don't forget...

BTW, I miss Haiko on threads like this one!

Hi Guys, we at Commission Factory are coming on board with ABestWeb soon with our own forum but before then I thought I would say "Hi". I'm interested in the thoughts you have expressed here and wondering if the dissent being created against LS is quite unanimous with affiliates. Are there affiliates who see these acquisitions as a good thing for any reason? Obviously not that we can see how this benefits anyone except the network.

When we started Commission Factory 3 years ago it was because we were once affiliates and decided to create a network that did not compete with our own clients and be an unbiased party.

Any further thoughts you guys can share on this eBates acquisition would be great and I look forward to our own forum launching so we can talk more with you guys.

^^see above^^

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    ^^see above^^
    Thanks for that, I read those with great interest but there was a FB group I was observing where some affiliates had debated if there was benefits.

I was curious to see if any of you could see any 'cos I certainly couldn't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast