CJ/Conversant Sold
    Alliance Data to Acquire Ad Tech Leader Conversant For Approximately $2.3 Billion

DALLAS and WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif., Sept. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Alliance Data Systems Corporation (NYSE: ADS), a leading global provider of data-driven marketing and loyalty solutions, and Conversant, Inc. (NASDAQ: CNVR), a leading digital marketing company, today announced the execution of a definitive agreement whereby Alliance Data will purchase Conversant. Under the terms of the agreement, Alliance Data will acquire all outstanding shares of Conversant for a combination of cash and stock valued at approximately $2.3 billion, or $35 per Conversant share. The purchase price, structured to be paid with approximately 48 percent cash and 52 percent ADS shares, represents 10x Conversant's expected forward adjusted EBITDA of $230 million for 2015. The transaction is subject to regulatory approval and customary closing conditions, and is expected to close by year end. The transaction has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of the two companies.

Here is the rest of the story.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Writing was definetly on the wall.

Course hindsight is 20/20
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Anyone at CJU, curious what they said there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Anyone at CJU, curious what they said there.
    Probably something like "Tracking will not be affected".

Affiliate Manager
    Well, this will be interesting to watch. Maybe...just trying to be optimistic...maybe this will improve CJ rather than make it worse. Maybe...

7. Thanks From:

Wow!!!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Well, this will be interesting to watch. Maybe...just trying to be optimistic...maybe this will improve CJ rather than make it worse. Maybe...
    50/50 either way. Generally personnel changes take six months. Major corporate changes take a year.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I wonder if they'll be moving CJ to Texas.

Alliance Data is on Fortune's list of the "Most Admired Companies". Stuff like that usually means cutthroat business practices aimed at the bottom line, but they say that "social responsibility" is part of the criteria.

I'm not expecting anything good to come from this, just hoping it's not another Performics + G = Disaster but if you look at the Alliance Data website they have pages and pages talking about what they actually do to help the community and the environment:

Environment - Eco-friendly practices to reduce their carbon footprint and use of green energy sources.

Community Giving back to the community including multi-million dollar investment program and employee days off for volunteer work.

Employees They list lots of things they say they do for their employees including listening to suggestions.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

11. Thanks From:

I have a list of things they can change. Just need to find the right executive that cares.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

13. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Scared. Most of my vendors are on CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    Scared. Most of my vendors are on CJ.
    Seriously, nothing will change. They can't get much worse.
    Greg Hoffman

16. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    Seriously, nothing will change.
    :-) Sure.
    What if they turn around sell it to G.

18. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    They can't get much worse.
    If the universe has taught me anything it's that when a statement like this is made ...
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

20. Thanks From:

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I'm not a cj apologist, but cj isn't that bad. The most important thing to me is 1) tracking right 2) paid on time and as far as I know they do both
    As far as datafeeds go, I prefer their to the others. I like you sign up no waiting to be approved and they send them automatically. The interface isn't great I liked the old version better, but you get used to it. All in all in our industry cj is OK. I admit its a low standard, but as long as the first two issues (and maybe the datafeed thing) stay unchanged I don't have a problem with them.

I of course don't know what the problems are from a merchant/AM position is but don't tell me cj is so bad it can't get worse. Screw up tracking and on time payment is definitely worse and the datafeed thing too can get worse.

Of course baby this section of the thread can be moved to the cj forum...wait, I have no intention of defending my statements it just isn't important to me.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

22. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I'm confused, is this about the CJ sale or charging affiliates to join networks? Maybe the topics would better be split as they both deserve their own discussion.

Going back to the topic. I hope this could be a positive thing for CJ as I have noticed in the last year or 2 that they have just focused on prettying up the site but not really adding much in the way of helpful features for affiliates.

Someone mentioned their datafeeds and how they hope they won't change. I agree the system is pretty good as you can get any merchants feed instantly you have already joined and you can download them via various methods. But this is one area they could definitely improve upon. One of these things is that many of their merchant datafeeds are just too huge for me to implement in my websites. Some even go beyond a gig in size but many are over 20 mb which I regards as the cut off size for me to use with my own system. I prefer ones that are under 10 mb. This is where Avantlink are far superior in their system. If CJ could take a look at how Avantlink offer their datafeeds they could learn a lot. I love the way I can build up and customize any datafeed in my Avantlink control panel before it is even ready for me to download regularly. The good thing with them though is that I can hook up my datafeeds to update live via XML which just a couple of clicks. No need for cron jobs, manual downloading or anything like that.

I do like some new things CJ offer like the new links can be downloaded via csv with some customization. If they can do more things like that in the future it would be welcome. They really need to improve their product search, I have been waiting years for that but still nothing. Even the new links product search is just the same old one with a new skin.

I have to agree though, they track well and they pay on time so those are important things. Plus they have a good bank that pays to the real current money exchange rates so for affiliates like me who live in Australia we don't lose anything in the conversion to our local currency, not like networks like ShareAsale where you lose quite a bit in the conversion as they use a bank they takes a huge chunk out of your commissions. It really adds up if you have big months. Sadly I have few of those lately anyway .

Overall, I hope CJ stay around and don't go the Gan route and become another casualty of Google or a buyer who does not manage the business properly.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

24. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by glittered View Post
    I'm confused, is this about the CJ sale or charging affiliates to join networks? Maybe the topics would better be split as they both deserve their own discussion.
    Like most threads, it started as one thing and a post brought up another great line of discussion.

I had been thinking the same thing about splitting it out. Usually, the discussions are so intertwined that it's almost impossible to split, but in this case almost all of the posts have been about one or the other.

I've split the discussion about charging a signup fee out to a separate thread:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...ee-178149.html
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread