How many sites are you operating....
    ....at this time?

This is an overly simple question, I know...I was just hoping to get a good dialogue started on workflow and pace.

I am still trying to come to grips with the learning curve before I actually launch (measure twice, cut once). I am have two specific niches in mind, and a third, general blog site to maybe warm up on. I want to get started on all three, but I afraid I will end up putting a ton of work into them, only to find they have to be redone completely because I didn't take enough time to get to a competent level of proficiency with as much of the different aspects of AM as I could have.....

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Over 200 less than two years ago!

Under a dozen now.

Do have a new, and large, site opening this week...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOBOOCH5 View Post
    I want to get started on all three, but I afraid I will end up putting a ton of work into them, only to find they have to be redone completely because I didn't take enough time to get to a competent level of proficiency with as much of the different aspects of AM as I could have.....
    Do it!

We totally gutted a huge amount of sites two years ago. Dropped most and slowly folded a handful of others into one big site - as they were 'related'. All part of a major branding push. In fact, it's still ongoing.

Since 1998 we have had to change with the industry, change with the economy, change, change, change - the one constant.

Do it - but welcome change...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I am still trying to come to grips with the learning curve before I actually launch (measure twice, cut once). .
    I've been watching your posts for the last month or two and before you become me, I just want to give you a little advice from a guy whose been around, left, come back, had dozens and dozens of active sites, had one active site. had no active sites and now is somewhere in the middle.

You will never have your ducks in a row. They are ducks, that is not what they do. They will be in a row-ish, but that will be for a brief, frustratingly fleeting moment. You can lose a lot of time chasing the little bastards.

You will never know everything. You are not my wife.

Cut a pie, you'll could cut it wrong but who cares it's pie. Eat.
    Cut a 2x4, you could cut it wrong but who cares, get a another 2x4, some glue or some nails.
    Cut an artery, you're done, don't do that.

A website is more correctable than all the above, you can do something wrong and fix it in seconds, minutes, hours or days, but you can fix it. That is, if you've built it.

You will never make a dime. Planning your site.

Find something you are interested in, then:

Research it.
    Build unique content around it or create something to make it valuable to your visitors.
    Promote it.
    Monetize it.
    Love it.
    Hate it.
    Give up on it.
    Go back to it.
    Learn from doing it.
    Repeat.

Should add, I say all the above with love, support and humor
    Last edited by popdawg; September 13th, 2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Me Dumb
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by popdawg View Post

You will never have your ducks in a row.

A website is more correctable than all the above, you can do something wrong and fix it in seconds, minutes, hours or days, but you can fix it. That is, if you've built it.

Very well said popdawg. These statement are jewels.

That's simply hilarious.

You will never have your ducks in a row. They are ducks, that is not what they do. They will be in a row-ish, but that will be for a brief, frustratingly fleeting moment. You can lose a lot of time chasing the little bastards.

It's impossible to make the ducks dance like the 'G'oose. The 'G'oose will eventually figure out they are ducks and put them in a sandbox, forever. Better get a hamster and grow it into a freaking bear!

I have about 50 domain names and about 20 sites, and based on the profit it's just a hobby.

I've been watching your posts for the last month or two and before you become me, I just want to give you a little advice from a guy whose been around, left, come back, had dozens and dozens of active sites, had one active site. had no active sites and now is somewhere in the middle.

Cut a pie, you'll could cut it wrong but who cares it's pie. Eat.
    Cut a 2x4, you could cut it wrong but who cares, get a another 2x4, some glue or some nails.
    Cut an artery, you're done, don't do that.

Find something you are interested in, then:

Research it.
    Build unique content around it or create something to make it valuable to your visitors.
    Promote it.
    Monetize it.
    Love it.
    Hate it.
    Give up on it.
    Go back to it.
    Learn from doing it.
    Repeat.

Should add, I say all the above with love, support and humor

You are my new best friend.

An immediate and concise answer, delivered with equal amounts wisdom and humor, and presented in an entertainingly readable display of writing skill. I hope my own blogs can be so worthy.

This is why I love this site.

8. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    popdawg has posted the absolute, no-questions-asked, no comparison, BEST POST OF THE YEAR! also in the running for BEST POST EVER!
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    popdawg has posted the absolute, no-questions-asked, no comparison, BEST POST OF THE YEAR! also in the running for BEST POST EVER!
    I second this nomination.

I second this nomination.
    So, BOOBOOCH5, the ball is in your court, so to speak. You should get something online by the end of this weekend. If you use self-hosted Wordpress it is easy to change/adjust/repurpose at ant time. So get started! Now!

Chuck has the perfect term that fits well with what you are experiencing: Paralysis by analysis. It fits - so get started. Now!

Y'hear?

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

12. Thanks From:

Gotcha!

14. Thanks From:

3 at the moment.

Tax Paying Member
    More than I should have.

My 3 favorite words tweak, flux....and money.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I fully understand that Boobooch5 is trying to establish best practices. I have always operated the same way.

Unfortunately as several others have far more eloquently pointed out, the practise of AM is constantly changing. To accommodate these changes requires flexibility.

Each site you launch will be an improvement on its predecessor, only through iteration can you develop your "perfect system". Get started, make some mistakes and learn from them.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time

Wow and I thought I was nuts for having 6. I can't imagine having any more than that. At one time, I did have 13, but that was a LONG time ago, when my addiction to blogging was very new.

I am seriously thinking about letting one more go - just sold one a couple of months ago.

jl. panjang arteri kedoya jakarta barat, no 210
    Arrow Good
    Thanks for the info, very useful for me, really good article.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread