Can I get sued for this?
    Busy forum day for me, for sure...

I am considering starting a site that welcomes a forum on the evils of large companies that screw over us plebes, and recommending solutions on how to combat such evils. (It's a lot more specific than this, but you understand....)

Is this dangerous grounds? I should be O.K. as long as I don't mention specific company names, right?

How responsible will I be if someone posts an opinion on my site naming specific corporate names before I can edit them?

Thanks in advance.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    More importantly you should be asking:

1) Do you plan on monetizing this site with affiliate links?
    2) If so, would merchants want to be associated with this site?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    More importantly you should be asking:

1) Do you plan on monetizing this site with affiliate links?
    2) If so, would merchants want to be associated with this site?

1) Absolutely!
    2) Lawyers (lead generation/referrals)

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Just keep in mind it's a two-way street.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

5. Thanks From:

I have personally suffered tremendously from an event that occurred because of said companie's refusal to fulfill their legal obligations so that they save a few coins. I found, from research since then, that my story is not unique at all. As much as I mistrust the legal profession in general, there are some legitimate crusaders out there who can fight the corporate dragon and win.... I am glad I went that route, because it succeeded for me and saved me from utter financial devastation.

Now, back to the original question...

As long as names are not mentioned, then are there any legitimate legal risks in pointing out specific incidents of injustice in a forum of sorts while recommending legal help in affiliate form?

As far as naming names....

What if you stated, or allowed others to state, "I was using ACME WIDGETS for this service, and here's what happened to me specifically."?

Well, ripoffreport .com has been around for quite awhile, but they have deep pockets.

What Convergence said: Anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time.... You're asking questions that no one in an affiliate marketing forum is fully qualified to answer. You want an opinion? Sure, peeps love to give their opinion.

You must discuss your concerns with a qualified lawyer. If you can't afford this now, you probably can't afford legal repercussions down the line.
    Rene
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

8. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Are you in the US, then you are governed by our Bill of Rights and federal laws. That said slander is not a right and anonymous posters are still your responsibility if you are running the forum.

We have a standard rule on this and other forums owned by iNet, we do not change history by removing comments/posts. If someone had something said against them they are welcome to come here and refute it. I as Admin had many who refuted what was said against them but they wouldn't refute it publically. Many threatened to sue and I passed that up stream to iNet corporation but never had it come back to bite me on the ass!

highly, highly recommend you read this forum and all sub forums in their entirety: ParasiteWare - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    Well, ripoffreport .com has been around for quite awhile, but they have deep pockets.

What Convergence said: Anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time.... You're asking questions that no one in an affiliate marketing forum is fully qualified to answer. You want an opinion? Sure, peeps love to give their opinion.

You must discuss your concerns with a qualified lawyer. If you can't afford this now, you probably can't afford legal repercussions down the line.
    It's not slander if it is true, and without giving specific names I cannot see why it would be an issue liability-wise.

As for opinions, I very much value opinions on this site...it is the reason I am here after all, and the reasons I seek knowledge on this rock solid island of AM experience instead of swimming the shady google sea for answers. I was of the mind that there would be plenty of ppl here with similar questions and/or experience in this matter, but if that is not the case, then that is just not the case...thus my question is answered....

If I must spend money for legal advice from a lawyer whose advice is based solely on financial incentive (thus most likely not to be trusted), then maybe I should reconsider the venture altogether as there are other options for site ideas.

It's a shame, really, because it is not an unapproachable niche, and it is one of the few niches that I have real experience and real passion in, and I could potential help a lot of people if I were to play it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Are you in the US, then you are governed by our Bill of Rights and federal laws. That said slander is not a right and anonymous posters are still your responsibility if you are running the forum.

We have a standard rule on this and other forums owned by iNet, we do not change history by removing comments/posts. If someone had something said against them they are welcome to come here and refute it. I as Admin had many who refuted what was said against them but they wouldn't refute it publically. Many threatened to sue and I passed that up stream to iNet corporation but never had it come back to bite me on the ass!

highly, highly recommend you read this forum and all sub forums in their entirety: ParasiteWare - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    You have come through for me yet again, Chuck.

Thank you.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Without giving specific names it will be vague and doubt you can sustain readership. It becomes gossip and not fact.

Good point.

I am not going to completely abandon the idea, because I believe in the concept of it. I will, though, put in on the shelf for now until further research is done - starting with completely reading the thread you provided.

Thanks again.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread