Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Avantlink Sadly No Longer Converting Anymore
    I have always been one of Avantlinks biggest fans but now I'm not so keen on this network anymore after seeing one of my best ever merchants go from making me loads of commissions a day ( average of 2 to 6 sales a day)when it was an Indy to then be nearly as good on Avantlink (higher sale amounts but less sales) but now has become non converting,'

here is a little history to show what I mean over the last 3 months when I have seen the decline start to kick in:

June to July 45 clickthroughs 16 sales.

July to August 58 click throughs 8 sales

August 16 to September 16 68 click throughs ZERO sales

Not good. On top of that other merchants I used to have sales have had none lately.

Very disappointing!

CJ, still convert no problems if I want to compare. So what is going on?
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Reverse trend here.

Last 30 days have been the best in months...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by glittered View Post
    June to July 45 clickthroughs 16 sales.

July to August 58 click throughs 8 sales

August 16 to September 16 68 click throughs ZERO sales
    Is less than 500 clicks a good enough baseline for any trend. I think with 50+ clicks conversions can be all over the place. 68 clicks, no sale doesn't look that bad. 45 clicks 8 sales looks very good but it can hardly be a trend.

I agree with Sam that it's probably not enough data to draw any accurate conclusions.

Also, I wouldn't judge a network by the performance of a single merchant.

Have you looked at other factors?

Has product pricing, availability, or landing page changed? If the customer is landing on the wrong page, conversion will drop drastically.

Have you checked with the merchant to see if they have had tracking problems?

Has your traffic changed? If, for instance, you had a very targeted PPC keyword that was generating 10% of your traffic and the other 90% was from less targeted sources, if you lost your good keyword but the other traffic went up a bit, it might look like you're getting comparable or even more traffic, but it might convert very poorly.

Hopefully you can get to the bottom of things and get them converting again.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Last month 2.24% conversion.

This month 7.06%

Last 30 days: 4.58%

Can't complain - am happy...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Moved a top affiliate over from the aforementioned network and he's getting 40% better conversion on the same traffic.

Run a test order yourself and verify that they didn't change the pixel. Happens all the time. Also send your case to support@ as they are as responsive as it gets.

7. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Run a test order yourself and verify that they didn't change the pixel. Happens all the time. Also send your case to support@ as they are as responsive as it gets.
    When you say they might have changed the pixel, this should not affect me here as I only use text links or am I missing something?

I did check the link on Avantlink and it has not been updated recently so that should mean nothing has changed right?
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Last month 2.24% conversion.

This month 7.06%

Last 30 days: 4.58%

Can't complain - am happy...

Good for you, enjoy your happiness

10. Thanks From:

When you say they might have changed the pixel, this should not affect me here as I only use text links or am I missing something?
    When he's talking about "the pixel", he means the tracking pixel that the merchant includes on the checkout confirmation page. Changes on the merchant's web site can sometimes break the tracking.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Michael. Yes, things can change on the merchant end. Run a private session in your browser or clear all cookies then use your affiliate link to make a purchase. Make sure to record the order ID. Then give it an hour and check to see if the sale tracked in the network. Then email the AM and tell them you ran a test order and could they cancel the order. If you don't get a response from the AM then contact customer service and ask them to credit back your order.

14. Thanks From:

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Or you could just post the merchant name here, and I can tell you whether or not they are posting sales in the network

Generally if the merchant's tracking is broken it's listed on the dashboard when affiliates login as "Tracking Issues". That is of course unless we don't know about any tracking issues yet.
    Last edited by GravityFed; September 17th, 2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added info

16. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Well I'm sure the merchant is making sales with other affiliates.

I will replace all the links I have just to make sure nothing has broken on my site but If clicks are registered I can't see how that could be but for peace of mind I will do that.

I did see a couple of other sales yesterday, one from their outlet in another country but usually I would have 1 or 2 for that outlet per month and many more for their main site so something seems really wrong here.

ABW Ambassador
    Here is an update. It might be of interest here to affiliates...........

The first thing I did was double check all the links. Most were "Custom links" but I noticed a lot of the pages were no longer online for the merchant so they would just default to the home page. You would think even if they redirected to the home page they would still show up in the reports, even some should definitely convert to sales. But no not one of these converted. Something was not right I thought. Then after I changed all the links the sales picked up again but now they only show as their "Other country" not the program the links were for. So I contact Avantlink and let them know. The next day the reports were showing the proper click throughs were now showing as sales and not showing as click throughs for the other country.

So I lost a months commissions but at least it's working now. Affiliates might want to check their custom links from time to time as you won't get a commission if the merchant takes down the page and redirects you to the home page. it's a nice way for the merchants to get free traffic with no sales recorded. I doubt this merchant done that on purpose but it's something to watch.

ABW Ambassador
    Affiliates might want to check their custom links from time to time as you won't get a commission if the merchant takes down the page and redirects you to the home page.
    Thanks for the heads up, glittered.

Why affiliates don't get commission when the links get redirected to the merchant's homepage? It is still the merchant's site after all.

Is it just Avantlink or are all networks tracking the same way?

20. Thanks From:

Is it just Avantlink or are all networks tracking the same way?
    AvantLink has superior tracking and one of my producers reports 40% higher conversion from CJ.

Is it that sales are not credited, or is the traffic just not converting when they're sent to the home page? I would suspect that latter.

I've seen similar HUGE drops in conversions (on other networks) when links don't go to the right place. If you're preselling them on blue widgets and you send them to green thingamajigs or the home page, most customers will just shop elsewhere.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

23. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    AvantLink has superior tracking and one of my producers reports 40% higher conversion from CJ.
    Chuck, I was asking about the "redirects to homepage" links no commission to affiliates issue which glittered brought up.

AvantLink has a method like other networks to redirect a merchant to another merchant if the aforementioned merchant leaves the network. That is one issue.

On the comments about links going from product pages to home page, this usually happens when a link expires. Many networks leave those as dead links which really hurt your conversion. AvantLink can answer how they handle dead links.

As Michael mentioned home page links in place of product page links drives conversion down as some consumers return to search to find specifically what they seek as they are too impatient to shop the site. Its the merchant's AMs/OPMs job to stay on top of links and its not an easy process.

26. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Is it that sales are not credited, or is the traffic just not converting when they're sent to the home page? I would suspect that latter.
    I surely hope that's the case. For what I read from glittered's post #13. The redirected links to homepage resulted in no sales recorded
    even some should definitely convert to sales

Maybe somebody at Avantlink will give better clarification.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I'll do my best to help/explain..

First, on glittered's issue. At a point in time not long ago (when glittered starting seeing a problem) the merchant broke their tracking. This merchant has both an Australia merchant account, and a New Zealand merchant account. When they fixed their broken tracking they used the same javascript library on both checkouts. There are different installations for each account, so this did not work correctly.

This has since been fixed, and we will work with the merchant on awarding missed sales while their tracking was down.

-

In general, as far as how our tracking works (with redirects)..

First, as a backup measure, I'll mention that we utilize two tracking cookies:
    * Merchant set 1st party cookie.
    * Network set 3rd party cookie.

1st party cookie is default and the more reliable option. However if a merchant breaks this implementation, there is a back-up 3rd party cookie in play we fall back on (that the network sets).

So using this example: merchant removes a product, and therefore a product page no longer exists and in place there is a redirect to the homepage. If the merchant redirect does not pass our required tracking parameter (avad=) then the 1st party cookie will not be set (even in the event that 1st party tracking works correctly).

In this case, our 3rd party tracking cookie would come into play. The action of the click from the ad/banner, etc. sets the cookie from the network instantly (ie, 3rd party cookie gets set on the network's redirect, before the merchant's redirect).

Our script on the merchant's order confirmation page will first look for the 1st party cookie, then if that's not there the 3rd party network-set cookie.

-

So essentially... our 3rd party backup tracking will allow for tracking off any redirect the merchant sets-up. Goes without saying this is very important as a safeguard in case a merchant fails to send our avad= parameter through a redirect on their 1st party implentation.

Hope this helps... GM
    Last edited by GravityFed; September 29th, 2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarify

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post

I've seen similar HUGE drops in conversions (on other networks) when links don't go to the right place. If you're preselling them on blue widgets and you send them to green thingamajigs or the home page, most customers will just shop elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    I surely hope that's the case. For what I read from glittered's post #13. The redirected links to homepage resulted in no sales recorded.

Maybe somebody at Avantlink will give better clarification.
    I believe in this case the tracking was not working going on my experience with this merchant and visitor logs for 6 years,

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink View Post
    I'll do my best to help/explain..

First, on glittered's issue. At a point in time not long ago (when glittered starting seeing a problem) the merchant broke their tracking. This merchant has both an Australia merchant account, and a New Zealand merchant account. When they fixed their broken tracking they used the same javascript library on both checkouts. There are different installations for each account, so this did not work correctly.

This has since been fixed, and we will work with the merchant on awarding missed sales while their tracking was down.

-
    ... GM
    thanks Gary for the explanation, that's good to hear missed sales will be awarded..

I hope this has helped for this issue to not happen in the future and to make the network better and yes I agree it usually is the better converting network and that is why I was confused why this was happening and that was evident in my first post.

So to conclude, never underestimate when an affiliate posts concerns about tracking as most people wrote me off as it been my own traffic not converting but I knew this was not the case.

30. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    deleted double post

ABW Ambassador
    Funny thing is since I posted my update here on the 29th there has been zero sales since. Before that I was getting several sales a day. This is the sort of thing I hate about affiliate marketing, I guess people have been spying on this thread and now trying to take my sales away, well the few I had. Greedy bastads. I guess with all the info provided, especially in the last few posts they have put some adwords campaigns together to take me out of the game. I see the merchant has new affiliates with a few new adword campaigns since all above my listings. That is why I was not releasing too much info myself. gggrrr

I think I know what merchant you were discussing, but I dropped them months ago because their prices were always higher on their sites than what was in their datafeed.
    Don't like those kind of games....
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Funny thing is since I posted my update here on the 29th there has been zero sales since. Before that I was getting several sales a day.
    Lucky you!

Because...

No comments...

35. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast