New to industry, have some questions
    Hi,
    I'm new to the affiliate marketing industry and have some questions.

First I'll explain why I was attracted to the industry. After three years of owning a small vending machine business, I am really enjoying the rewards of utilizing machines and automated services to generate income.

My first thoughts about internet based marketing came a week ago when I was paying my internet service bill and I asked myself, "Why don't I find a way for my internet connection to pay for itself?". After a little searching online I read about affiliate marketing and thought it sounded like something I would enjoy and might have the potential to pay for my monthly internet connection fee.

My question for you experienced marketers is, my first goal is to generate enough revenue to pay my monthly internet bill of $50; what do you think would be a reasonable estimate of how long it would take a beginner to develop a page with enough traffic to generate $50 per month in revenue?

Also, can anyone recommend any good books or other sources of information on getting started? Preferrably books that are not written to the get-rich-quick crowd. I want to study it as a real business; not something that will give me money for nothing.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Welcome to ABW. Glad you're starting here, as there's lots of great info, not the get-rich-quick junk that's out there.

How long it takes to reach $50/month depends on a huge number of factors, not the least of which is you. It will depend on what vertical you choose to promote, how you will attract traffic, how much energy you put into it to help it grow. There's no single template or timeline. First step is to spend a lot of time on this site, reading a lot of threads, asking questions after that. You'll learn a lot that way and have the foundation for real business for sure.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

Thank you for the response. I intend on writing about family and home management, household appliances and other items commonly purchased for a home, homeschooling, toys and games (I have 4 children, shouldn't be too hard to come up with some content), and anything else I can think of that involves saving or making money for families. I am not terribly social media savvy, I use facebook but have never used twitter, pinterest, etc. I have a lot to learn in that area. Learning to get my website to various audiences will be important.

Assuming I can learn these things, do you think earning $50/month can be achieved in less than 6 months?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherdsflock View Post
    Assuming I can learn these things, do you think earning $50/month can be achieved in less than 6 months?
    Welcome to ABW!

Based on what you've asked and written so far - you'll have no problem.

This one will be around for a while...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

That's encouraging to hear. What I want to do is accomplish the monthly internet bill payoff in 6 months or less, then hopefully achieve $75/month between months 6-12, and that would pay off the domain registration and hosting fees for the year. After the 1 year mark, my blog would be financially self sufficient and I could focus on generating real profit and learning how to scale the affiliate marketing business model.

7. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    It's great to have that kind of plan already. Setting a goal makes a wonderful difference, and the fact that are you on the alert to avoid the get-rich-schemes will also help you through the learning process. There's a lot of free information out there, if you're willing to take the time to find it.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Affiliate Manager
    shepherdsflock, I think you will do well! You seem goal oriented, thoughtful & ready to work. You should have no problems accomplishing your goal. And, you are correct, life with 4 children will give you plenty of content! Might I suggest that you take some time to look around on a few of the social media sites before deciding which one would be of the most benefit? It sounds like Pinterest might be very beneficial to you with the particular type of site you're describing. I've known quite a few successful bloggers that use it in that niche. It's heavy on the photographs, but worth a look since the demographic for it matches very well with the demographic you'd be going for. Best of luck to you in this new adventure!
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR, [URL="http://bit.ly/1oapxzB"]Boost Affiliates[/URL]

Thanks for all the great advice and kind words. So far this seems like a fun way to have a creative outlet and make a little extra income.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread