Filling out CJ and ShareaSale Tax Forms
    Hi,

I just signed up for CJ and ShareaSale and have a couple of questions on filling out the tax form. I'm a non-US resident, and also non-US citizen so I'm filling out the W-8BEN.

1. In CJ there's a tick box for "Exempt from back-up withholding". I've been looking on the web for an hour now and all I've found are people guessing, some say tick, some say no. Does anyone know if this we should check this option or not?

2. in ShareaSale's form, there's a part after Printed Name that says "Title". What should you place here? Is is like Mr., or just leave that blank?

Thanks. Really appreciate the help.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Most folks in the US are afraid to give you specific answers about stuff like this, as our country is crazy about law-suits, but I'm sure there's an accountant or lawyer on here somewhere who can jump in.

Based on the info you've provided about the SAS form, "title" in that location most likely means your title within your company, like "President", "owner", etc.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Jeannine is correct about title, it refers to your position with the business.

I cannot say for sure about non-US citizens or residents, but for US based individuals doing business as an unincorporated entity that does not file separately, this is the general rule: You are automatically exempt from back-up withholding, unless you have failed to file all necessary forms and returns and/or have failed to pay PIT and/or employee withholding taxes in the past and the IRS has notified you that you are no longer exempt from backup withholding.

If you do not know what backup withholding is, it would require every vendor (who are also notified by the IRS) who owes you money, such as and including affiliate networks, to deduct approximately 25%-33% of the money owned and instead of paying it to you, send it to the IRS, and you will only get it after you file your PIT for that year, and are due a refund for any over-payments.

NOTE: This is NOT legal or accounting advice but but rather is a general discussion of the issue raised. You should seek personal legal and or accounting advice with a professional before making any decisions on this or similar issues.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thanks Jeannine and Phil,

You guys sound right on the "Title" part. What if I'm an individual? I'm signing up on SAS for a personal account, ie. payee is me. Should I just put "Mr."?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    NO.

95% of us are individuals, and as such, the "OWNER" of the business. As stated above, THAT is what they want, NOT Mr. Mrs. Ms. or anything like that.

Or, you could create a custom title for yourself, such as "Maintenance Engineer" "Assistant General Manager", "Psychic to the Stars", or "Lord High Executioner".
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Oops. My bad.

Thanks for straightening me out there Phil.

Appreciate the help.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread