Getting beyond Facebook
    Hi,
    I started a blog last week, and at first was really excited to see surges of traffic from Facebook friends after each post on my blog. Friends on Facebook visiting my blog is great, I won't complain about that, but I'm looking for advice on attracting traffic from more sources. I'm using the SEO features in Wordpress to help make my blog more search engine friendly, but so far it looks like I'm not making any search results on Google.

Any advice for a newbie?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    If you just started last week, it's going to take a while to get ranked in Google. Make sure you're doing things to help their spiders, stay focused on your keywords, post regularly, etc. Hopefully you'll be out of the Google sandbox quickly.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    If you just started last week, it's going to take a while to get ranked in Google. Make sure you're doing things to help their spiders, stay focused on your keywords, post regularly, etc. Hopefully you'll be out of the Google sandbox quickly.
    I'm glad you posted, because you revealed another need for further education. What is a spider? Also, what do you think is a realistic timeframe to escape the sandbox? I want to keep myself from developing unrealistic expectations. Are we talking days, weeks, months, years?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Spider is a nickname that is used for the robot text crawlers used by the search engines to "read" the text in websites. For example, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page listing all the forums, where it shows the number of users currently online, it also shows the number of spiders currently crawling ABW.

I'm not an SEO expert, but I've launched a few sites during my career, and I found that being focused on a specific keyword for a post helped (don't keyword stuff!). I also made sure that we posted at minimum a few times a week, staying focused on the blog's primary topic, as opposed to being all over the place so that Google can't tell what your blog is about. Make sure you are notifying the search engines of each new post (I believe there's a plug-in that does so); it's the equivalent of knocking on their door, and if you do so regularly, it will spider your sites more often looking for new copy.

Google has hundreds of items to determine ranking, but things like having people visit your blog regularly (because you've given them something good to read when they get there), and having them spend some time on your site, instead of "bouncing" or landing and immediately leaving, will also help.

My expectation would be a few weeks or a month, but honestly there are a lot of other factors involved that would be too numerous to explore here. There are some great threads on SEO on the forum, so those can help you too.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Invaluable WP Plugin No 1: "Google XML Sitemaps"

It will send an updated site map to G, Yahoo, Bing, whenever you publish a new post.

Also, if you watch the video of the webinar we did last week, you'll see lots of other social media tips beyond FB.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I have not yet watched the webinar (plan on doing that tonight or early tomorrow morning). I'm feeling a little discouraged today, I had zero views of my blog last night; even with a new post.

Thank you for all your advice. Watching my stats diminish each day down to zero is discouraging and I hope to get through this quickly.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    What have you done to reach out to find readers, are you just waiting and expecting readers to magically find you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    What have you done to reach out to find readers, are you just waiting and expecting readers to magically find you?
    So far I have only done what I know how to do: share my posts on facebook and invite people to like and follow my page. Advice is welcome on what else I could be doing.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Excellent, that's a great first start rather than paying for search traffic. Have you dabbled in Twitter? I network in Twitter to find affiliates and always look at their blogs first. Here again a personal message goes a long way.

10. Thanks From:

I've never used Twitter, but it sounds like I should start learning about it.

Hi I'm no SEO expert and have only fairly recently started dabbling in Social but heres my take on things.

Firstly don't use facebook to share ALL your posts with your friends, people will get bored of that pretty fast. (I know, a friend of mine started continually plugging his buisness on facebook and in the end I got fed up of it to the point that Iended up blocking it)

If your friends like your site they will subscribe to your feed and check it out themselves.

Next important thing is that Social means just that.

It's about building groups and helping each other.

Instead of repeatedy sharing stuff from your blog, find some other blogs in your niche that you like , subscribe to their feeds, follow them on twitter, Google.

When they do a post you like share it on facebook, google etc, tweet it, pin a photo on pinterest etc.

In this way:

1. You are sharing/tweeting interesting and varied stuff for your friends which they will find interesting.

2.People will find your tweets useful and start following you, retweeting etc. These same people will hopefully also visit your site and subscribe to your feed maybe tweet/ share your stuff.

3.The people whos blog posts you are sharing/tweeting/plusing/pinning will notice that you are doing so and will check out your blog. Maybe leve a comment and hopefully (if they like what you post) share it with their friends. Who will visit your site....etc
    Last edited by Ritchie; September 24th, 2014 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    Hi I'm no SEO expert and have only fairly recently started dabbling in Social but heres my take on things.

Firstly don't use facebook to share ALL your posts with your friends, people will get bored of that pretty fast. (I know, a friend of mine started continually plugging his buisness on facebook and in the end I got fed up of it to the point that Iended up blocking it)

If your friends like your site they will subscribe to your feed and check it out themselves.

Next important thing is that Social means just that. Its about building groups and helping each other.

Instead of repeatedy sharing stuff from your blog, find some other blogs in your niche that you like , subscribe to their feeds, follow them on twitter, Google.

When they do a post you like share it on facebook, google etc, retweet it, pin a photo on pinterest etc.

In this way:

1. You are posting interesting and varied stuff for your friends which they will find interesting.

2.People will find your tweets useful and start following you, retweeting etc. These people will hopefully also visit your site and subscribe to your feed.

3.The people whos blog posts you are sharing will notice that you are doing so and will check out your blog. Maybe leve a comment and hopefully (if they like what you post) share it with their friends. Whe will visit your site....etc
    This sounds like GREAT advice! Thank you! I will cruise the web tonight looking for similar blogs that have good content that I can share.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAffiliate View Post
    Have you tried using Hash-Tags in your Post titles? But, careful not to Over Hash-Tag. This little method surprised me the other day, as some of my Google+ Posts appeared on Google Page One in the niche.
    No, I haven't. What do they do?

Don't get tired of posting relevant article that you think people want to know or searching.

In order to maintain an effective and interesting blog, you need to be unique,creative, and interesting.

Try to establish your distinguishing trait as your competitive edge. if you have a camera or a smart phone with a good camera then take original photos to go with your blog. Add good videos relative to a post into it and add polls. Once you're satisfied with your content, and you're sure your readers will like it. Now its time for promotion.

There are multiple ways that you can promote your blog. You can use social media, forums, groups and paid ads to attract customers. Since you're just starting lets stick to the first three.

Pin your photos on Pin interest, and Instagram them too.
    Since you want other to read your blog. Be a good sport, and read theirs too. Leave insightful comments and engage in conversations with people. In this way people will surely check your blog out.

What is the niche of your blog?
    Have you joined groups on Facebook? There are more active people on Facebook groups than fan pages, you can give it a try.
    For bloggers, I can say blog commenting is still a good option. If you can join on a certain blog communities relevant to your niche then you are able to get more traffic to your site, most especially if you participate well on the community. You'll gain trust and reputation not only for you but also for your blog.

I've been able to build a pretty strong following for our business on Google+. It's similar to FB, but in my opinion much cleaner and less 'promotional' content. While I have yet to yield any results from a 'business' perspective, it's all about building relationships. And Google has been great for that. Might be worth looking into! -Joe

Hi you haven't said what country you are in or what niche you are in and whether you market is world wide or just your own country?

Pinging is also effective for blogs.

If you have recently published your blog, you need to let the blog registries and search engines know that there is an update. If you wait for web crawlers to find your site, you could be waiting for weeks, but there is a faster way to do it.

Ping sites send notifications to the search engines as well as directories that your blog/website has been updated.

Following are the best sites for pinging:

Googleping
    Pingler
    Pingomatic

All the best..

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread