Sudden 90 percent drop in traffic
    Can someone explain this sudden drop in traffic?

I have a price comparison site and the niche is beauty products.

I have been slowly building up traffic, nothing very exciting so far by I have hi hopes. I got serious about google webmaster tools and analytics at the beginning of the summer.

In June I was getting about 1000 impressions per day. By August I was averaging 3000 impressions per day. My traffic was steady and slowly gaining. By September 16th my site beautysavings dot net was averaging over 3000 (three thousand) impressions per day.

Now for the bad part. On September 17 my impressions fell to 300 (three hundred!) impressions per day and has stayed there!

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?
    Mark

It could be that your website is attack by negative seo. Try to check all your link sources come from. Make a backlink analysis to know.

The timing doesn't seem quite right, but Google did roll out a Panda update on the week of 9/20: https://plus.google.com/+PierreFar/posts/7CWs3a3yoeY
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    What do you mean by "impressions"?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Thanks for the suggestions.

I found some "do follow" affiliated links in my site that I changed to nofollow. I hope that changing these links to nofollow will help, and if there is any change I will post it here. So for the impressions have not moved from their new low of abt. 300/day.

BTW "impressions" is a metric in Google Analytics. It is the number of time a user sees a link to my website. In other words the average number of times per day that users sees a link to my website in Google search has dropped 90% in one day and stayed at that level.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    impressions are great for branding, meaning you have shown your brand(s) to many people. It means nothing about conversion, focus on clicks and sales.

Chuck,

If my impressions go down to zero (that is where they are headed) then what chance do I have of getting any organic clicks? I'm trying to deal with the fact that my web presence dropped 90% overnight.

I wonder if I am being penalized for having what Google calls a "thin affiliate site". I'd be much obliged if you could take a look. My site is beautysavings dot net.

Thanks,
    Mark

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    [QUOTE=markR;1192124
    BTW "impressions" is a metric in Google Analytics. It is the number of time a user sees a link to my website. In other words the average number of times per day that users sees a link to my website in Google search has dropped 90% in one day and stayed at that level.[/QUOTE]

You're site is relatively new. The Google was simply testing out the popularity of your pages by providing a temporary boost in the SERPs.

Didn't fully analyze your site, but it needs some extra oomph and some tweaking. You may want to post it in the review forum here for others to comment on. The review forum is not indexed by the bots so no backlinks or any comments will be public...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Thanks,

I did not know about the review forum. I'm going to make a few changes and then I'll post my site in the review forum.

Mark

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread