The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Angry Domain registration rant
    I am an easy going person and usually I hold my mouth on most things. There are exceptions as with the JCPenney thing. But this is worse and I'm not even going to go into half of it. But the worst part is this....

I transferred a bunch of domains into DOTSTER (not all my domains are there). Price was good. Anyway, I got my confirmation, through an email and my websites were working all seemed fine, A year passes and some of them are becoming due for renewal. It's cheaper to transfer sometimes or whatever. Anyway, I look at the beginning of the month see what is about to expire in 30 days and transfer them back. The problem is that not all of my domains are listed in the 'domaincentral'. The domaincentral is the only place on dotster where one's domains are listed and can be managed. Skip a bunch of other stuff (for a different rant), But I tell them I want all my domains listed in the domaincentral for obvious reasons.

My reply is listed verbatim below.
    Hello,

In order to perform your request to make your domains manageable with your Domain Central, please respond back with every domain that should be in this account as we will require a list to make sure all domains are added correctly per your request.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us any time.

Regards,
    Julio S.
    Dotster Support
    I am speechless.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I used to have several domains with Dotster, including one I paid mid-4-figures for several years ago (because the original registrant was with Dotster and it was an easy push when I bought it). I originally had purchased a few names there because of PRICE. Learned a long time ago that in registrars, like many other items, you get what you pay for. I had a problem with a transfer that they would not address without me jumping through similar hoops. So as soon as everything was "back to normal" I moved all but one (throwaway) domain out of there. They lost a good customer with 40+/- domains.

My primary registrars are eNom and Moniker. I never keep all my cash in the same bank or eggs in the same basket or domains with the same registrar or websites with the same host.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Note to self: Make list of all my domains. Put it under the mattress until needed.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

4. Thanks From:

All domains are in a spreadsheet listing Registrar, reg date, expiry date, nameservers, and a few other things. I got tired of looking things up all the time back when I had 100+ domains.
    I have MUCH less now, but still use this system. I was burned once when renewal fees skyrocketed and I saw the email notifying me a couple days AFTER my window to change registrars before renewing had closed.

Ok, ok ... I also kept losing my logins and passwords for the different accounts.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

I should add, I have stopped using Dotster because they were one of the most difficult to get any issues resolved with. At the time I had a couple of dozen domains with them too ... it was worth it to get out.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

7. Thanks From:

You think that's a problem?
    “Please be advised that Verisign has changed the registrar of record for certain domain names pursuant to a ***SEALED*** court order.

The domain names identified (..in the article.. ) were affected by this action.
    Nearly 5,000 domains transferred by Verisign last week, without knowledge of the registrants in this case: thedomains.com

Not to belittle the issues you're facing with dotster (sounds like a real PITA), but to cheer you, that things could be worse..

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread