Could a privacy policy be considered duplicate content?
    Hi!

I have read things that seem contradictory about duplicate content...

Some say that at worst the page that is duplicate content is penalized but that's it... Only that page is penalized, not the rest of the site...

Others say that you should avoid duplicate content between pages on the same subdomain (let's say for example a subdomain of wordpress.com for example even if it is not what I use). Now this suggest that the whole domain/TLD is taken into account for duplicate content/possible penalty.

Who is right?

Is there any problem with reusing the same privacy policy on multiple sites, changing only the site name and things like that?

I saw Matt Cutts of Google talk about something similar and he seemed to suggest it was OK but then sometimes people say that Google says one thing and does another.

I don't want to reuse my privacy policy if it causes problem to the sites which don't have the "original".

I guess I could host that privacy policy on only one site and link to it but then it would tell people that the domains are related which I am not sure is a good thing or not...

What's your take on this?

Thank you!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post

Is there any problem with reusing the same privacy policy on multiple sites, changing only the site name and things like that?
    Nick
    Hi Nick, I don't think there is a problem with using the same type of privacy policy among sites. I think Google is sophisticated enough to rank your site[s] on major criteria -- unless your privacy policy is the main focus of your site.

I wouldn't worry about originality with the privacy policy among your own sites.

See what others say.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    +1

We let bots crawl our Privacy Policy pages, but not index them - They are nearly identical on all of our web properties...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

4. Thanks From:

Having "no" privacy policy is a much larger detriment. Goog "wants" to see one.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Hi Nick, I don't think there is a problem with using the same type of privacy policy among sites. I think Google is sophisticated enough to rank your site[s] on major criteria -- unless your privacy policy is the main focus of your site.

I wouldn't worry about originality with the privacy policy among your own sites.
    Thank you Rhia7, it definitely makes sense!

Have a nice day!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    +1

We let bots crawl our Privacy Policy pages, but not index them - They are nearly identical on all of our web properties...
    Thank you Convergence!

Not index them? I guess you block them using robots.txt?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nick

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Having "no" privacy policy is a much larger detriment. Goog "wants" to see one.
    I think some affiliate programs require them too, no?

(Amazon I believe does...)

Thank you Bill!

Nick

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    Not index them? I guess you block them using robots.txt?
    Hi Nick,

Not in robots.txt but meta tags. We still want the bots to find them so they know they exist...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

12. Thanks From:

Hi GuardianAngel,

I wouldn't worry to much with your privacy pages being similar. Your concerns should be towards the actual sales content of the site. Depending on how you are promoting your site and the affiliate products you are promoting...a privacy page may be required. If you are promoting via PPC, then a PP is a definite requirement especially if you are using adwords.

14. Thanks From:

Hi Nick,

Not in robots.txt but meta tags. We still want the bots to find them so they know they exist...
    Thank you Convergence, I added the meta directive to make it noindex, nofollow...

Have a nice day!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by LeadGen View Post
    Depending on how you are promoting your site and the affiliate products you are promoting...a privacy page may be required. If you are promoting via PPC, then a PP is a definite requirement especially if you are using adwords.
    My first attempt at affiliate marketing is a blog which currently has no traffic to speak of but I use Amazon which I do believe requires a privacy policy...

I am working on other sites though and wanted to know what was the best way to handle the fact that the privacy policy would essentially be the same (for now the only thing which would be different is the name of the site and this is dynamically retrived so I would essentially cut & paste the same page).

There is one advantage to that blog even if it has no real traffic, I can test performance enhancements and (WordPress) plugins (both made by others and by myself).

(Thought it would be nice if it started making enough to buy a coffee at least...)

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nick

Tax Paying Member
    +1

We handle PP the same way and have for years.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread