...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Lord & Taylor now only on CJ :(
    This is just a reminder that effective 10/11/14, the Lord & Taylor Affiliate Program will be managed exclusively through the CJ Affiliate platform. After 10/11*, we will no longer be compensating affiliates for any sales submitted through any other Networks. We are excited about the new opportunities joining CJ Affiliate will bring our publishers, and look forward to an even more successful relationship with you on this new platform.
    <rhetorical>Wonder what the chances are that the feed on CJ will be usable any time before they close on the other networks?</rhetorical>
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

2. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    The CJ datafeed was working fine for me until about a week ago. Now it has No Catgories at all.

If they don't add the categories back, not sure it will be useable.

If the feed on CJ isn't, at the MINIMUM, as good as it was on AvantLink, we will remove Lord & Taylor.

Will have no choice...

ABW Ambassador
    I fired off an email to them yesterday. So far, no response yet.

6. Thanks From:

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Here is the strange problem about the lord and taylor datafeed. L&T had been on cj for some time, and the datafeed was perfectly fine. But up until last week sometime, it had the merchant category field working just fine and now its gone.

The other problem is that they have several records for each product in a different color but they don't list the color in the feed.

But with that said the feed is OK. The images work, it contains for me the 6 necessary fields Name, brand, price, description, url and picture.

In my opinion it isn't too bad a datafield it just needs a field that always contains the gender of the product (that product name usually does but not always) and a field for product color. Convergence, I think you are being too hasty, but do what you like. I have never trusted the category field, it is usually the breadcrumbs which change at a whim and aren't standardized in any fashion to begin with.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    Convergence, I think you are being too hasty, but do what you like.
    Garbage in - Garbage out.

No garbage allowed...

If you say so, but I don't agree. Could use some tweeking, but I don't think it's garbage. Of course, I finally write a program that does preprocessing to my datefeeds before I enter them into my sites. All big datafeeds needs major preprocessing, macys, nordstrom, jcp, kohls is the nature of the beast. Are you going to skip all major merchants? I think Kohl is the worst of all because the prices of the products get screwed up. i.e on the kohl's datafeed is the price ends in a 1 (penny) it is wrong
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think the point is that we all need to jump through additional hoops to work with the datafeed. The point to me is they took a perfectly good datafeed with Categories and made it "garbage". I'm not sure what datafeed you're looking at but for the missing categories I use, there are very few genders given in the Product Titles.

11. Thanks From:

If you say so
    I do.

but I don't agree.
    Certainly within your rights.

Are you going to skip all major merchants?
    Skip those that need to be skipped. Plenty of merchants who are affiliate friendly and meet OUR requirements. If they don't like it, they can kiss our lilly white asses.

I think Kohl is the worst of all because the prices of the products get screwed up. i.e on the kohl's datafeed is the price ends in a 1 (penny) it is wrong
    One of our TOP five performers...

One of your top performers has unreliable prices and you think that is acceptable? Did you even know the prices were wrong and correct them? Because when they are wrong they are wrong in a reliable way.

If you think that a datafeed with its prices are wrong is less of a problem than a datafeed that doesn't have a category field...well I don't even know how to finish this sentence.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

ABW Ambassador
    oranges - I'm not really sure why you find it necessary to defend such a horrible datafeed and act like we as affiliates need to just deal with whatever we get. Why are you acting like Convergence is doing something wrong? He is making a business decision to deal with decent datafeeds only, nothing wrong with that.

All affiliate datafeed websites are not created equal. On topic, the Lord & Taylor datafeed mess created tons of 404s on my website. I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT! That is really the main reason I was trying to get this issue addressed. I emailed trying to get a response as to WHY this was done or if the categories could be added back. Categories wasn't the only data dropped from the feed. No response from the now managing CJ team.

15. Thanks From:

One of your top performers has unreliable prices and you think that is acceptable? Did you even know the prices were wrong and correct them? Because when they are wrong they are wrong in a reliable way.
    Oranges,

We do NOT have a problem with Kohl's

If you think that a datafeed with its prices are wrong is less of a problem than a datafeed that doesn't have a category field...well I don't even know how to finish this sentence.
    No need to finish the sentence - as I never said that. Again, read my reply up top.

Bottom line: If a feed is garbage the merchant's products are NOT on our site. We do however, have the ability to promote a merchant via contextual banner ads, contextual text ads, AND contextual hybrid (product image w/text) ads - which perform quite nicely.

In our world, we don't feel it necessary to have every merchant in a niche. Nor do we feel it is a requirement to have merchants and brands just to have them. Again, if the merchant isn't prepared to have a properly constructed feed, or choses NOT to have a feed (because there are those that have their reasons), that's OK - there is always another merchant that does. Doesn't matter - most merchants sell the same crap made in China, anyway...

17. Thanks From:

I figured out what is wrong with the datafeed :-)

Right before I was about to go on my SAS think tank trip, I discovered why the datafeed didn't have catagories anymore. The reason is because the page the datafeed sends you to doesn't have cookiecrumbs and thus there are no crumbs to leave as the catagories. See what I mean look at the url of the results page from the datafeed, its different than the page if you find the product from within the website so it doesn't have the crumb trail.

I think that L&T decided to give these pages to the affiliates maybe to keep track of affiliate visitors, but this is the problem.

Ladybug have they replied to you yet?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I heard back from them several day ago. They said that the categories and the additional missing data would be added back this week. I noticed that this took place with the datafeed yesterday. I haven't taken a close look at it yet but from the quick glance I gave it, it looks like the datafeed before all the craziness started. I'm hoping anyway...

20. Thanks From:

L&T has a huge datafeed. But everything seems to be back. Color is back, size is back and two category fields (one general and one more specific). I hope they don't screw it up again because with the size of the darn thing its takes me forever to deal with it manually.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

hi Convergance
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    <rhetorical>Wonder what the chances are that the feed on CJ will be usable any time before they close on the other networks?</rhetorical>

HI Convergance,

I want to reach people in the affil. chain in marketing internally at Lord and Taylor/HBC/Saks. Can you help with a contact?

Raymond at:
    stylinity New York, ny

Contact info is in the program info on each network...

Looks like they are not getting in the nasty habit of extending the lock date on orders.

Hrrrmmph...

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread