The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Unhappy Dear Mr. Merchant your images are just too large
    I guess no one thought of it, but for some datafeeds, the images provided by the merchants are just too large and I can't deal with them. Does anyone want to deal with images that are over a megabyte long? 2000x2000 images are way too big to be useful and takes a while to download. Some images are so big that my php scaler program has a fatal error too much memory used.

Just today I had a merchant's datafeed and their image url looked like this
    http://images.foo.com/images/gallery_huge/foo~web.jpg which was well over a meg. Looking at their site I found
    http://images.foo.com/images/gallery_large/foo~web.jpg
    http://images.foo.com/images/gallery_medium/foo~web.jpg
    http://images.foo.com/images/gallery_thumb/foo~web.jpg

It's like goldilocks and the three (er four) bears, you had to pick huge, couldn't you have picked something useful like medium or large?

I was smart enough to figure this out, but come on. No one wants a huge image in their datafeed....or at least very few of us. I suppose of most of the datafeed problems this one is usually the easiest to deal with, but still.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Perhaps it's something to do w/ Google Feed Specification & image size recommendations which merchants use to base their affiliate feed from (link):

Image size:
    • Submit the largest, highest resolution, full-size image you have for the product, up to 4MB file size.
    • Images must be larger than 32 x 32 pixels and cannot be larger than 16 megapixels.
    • We recommend images at least 800 pixels in height and width.
    • Do not scale up images or submit thumbnails. We recommend the product to take no less than 75%, but not more than 90%, of the full image

p.s.
    ours are about 1000x1000 pixels but less than 50kb in size So images can be 2kx2k but be less than 150kb in size and still look great.
    Last edited by Kush@VMInnovations; October 13th, 2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: PS

Those are far better than many merchants offer. The problem is the way they are used. There is usually an image page where you might want something like that, but in directory pages (where you might show all the styles and shades of blue widgets for example) there are normally 9 or 12 or even 24 thumbnails used. 150Kb is bigger than you want for Thumbnails, and it is a major factor for some of us in deciding whether we can work with "Mr. Merchant" or not.

I know that if I have pages weighing 4MB I'll never get seen by 3/4 of the people searching for just what's on those pages, no matter what other factors enter in to it. In case anyone hasn't noticed, mobile unfriendly sites/pages have a hard time getting off the ground. If they were my images I could fix them, but coming in a datafeed, we're stuck with whatever is linked to.

Kush, image size usually doesn't bother me since no matter what the image is I scale it ot the size I want and store the image on my site. This works best because then I don't have my views waiting for 5,10, 20 whatever different hosts to send their images, plus I can crop as I need. My problem is some images are just so big that my server runs out of memory trying to shrink them and then I can't display them at all. 150 kb is fine for me, I suppose, I don't know the exact number when php on my server says nope, too big can't do it :-) But, 1000x1000 still seems way too big, even if I was going to put one product on a page.

800x800 made be fine for google, but they have allot more processing power than I do :-)

For most of my pages where I list more than one product, I scale/crop/add whitespace as necessary all my images to 125x150 and my images are between 3K and 7K. I don't know what the optimum image size for most affiliates is, but 1000x1000 is too big. I would guess something closer 300-400px (width and height) would be best.

2busy even on an image page 1000x1000 that is probably 70 or 80% of the total resolution in my desktop screen right now, not to mention that it won't fit on all smart phones. Thinking about it a large horizontal banner is only 728 and a large vertical banner is only 600 so anything bigger than 728x600 is probably too big no matter what.

This might be a good discussion, how big an image should a merchant provide an affiliate? Not that any merchants are listening, but certainly at a minimum if the size is bigger that 50K on the disk its probably too big assuming the affiliate will be putting several on a screen.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

5. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Makese sense, and I stand corrected we do re-size the images to 600x600 for SAS data-feed and keep the size around 18kb (at least the one tested this morning). The thumbnails are 50x50 pixels @1kb-ish
    Last edited by Kush@VMInnovations; October 14th, 2014 at 09:19 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Wow, reducing the image from 1000x1000 to 600x600 reduces the file size by 80%, that is very cool. But I could handle the 1000x1000 images and some 2000x2000 images, but there comes a time around that size (and I'm not sure what the exact number is, when my program just can't handle it and ones as big as that are totally unnecessary.

But I have been looking recently at the urls of the graphics and then going back to the sites that have ones I can't handle and there are always url fixes, i.e. there was this one american merchant whose graphics are usually over 2000x2000, if you just add ?sw=356&sh=526 to the file (and another replacement) now the image is of a normal size :-) There are programmical fixes like this all over if you look for them...but some affiliates are too lazy and others don't have the expertese to fix these types of thing.

It's good that you found a standard size of 600x600 which should work for everyone, and I suppose 18k is reasonable. sas is one of the few (I can't think of another) which specifically allows two sizes of images.

I stand corrected too, at least one merchant was listening :-)
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Kush@VMInnovations View Post
    Perhaps it's something to do w/ Google Feed Specification & image size recommendations ............ etc
    Don't think so Kush.

Living in Europe, I see this problem ever since 2002.
    It's more a common problem : "what shall we do with a photograph, AFTER taking the picture. Most people do nothing.

Sure, Google is asking for bigger, but at the same time, it's asking publishers strongly to set a .jpg image from 100% to 65%, in order to shrink the loading time of the webpage.

IF merchants could listen to publishers, understand how they work ...
    BUT no, most of them are not interested.

So we have to deal with the problem.

Still the same, ever since 2002 and worldwide .

In case of datafeeds : there are php scripts to shrink pictures "on the fly".
    Made one myself, happy feeling, until merchants found a solution to make pictures also on the fly ..... and deliver them without any extension like .jpg .gif .png and so on.

Asking for a normal filename ? No answer

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread