Red face Newb question re: Wordpress and hosting
    Hello! I am a newb trying to get a site up and running. I am curious as to what Wordpress is all about. Is it a hosting site? Do I need a separate hosting site and use WP as a development/traffic tool? How do I connect to WP? I am more interested in creating a website than a daily blog. Do you use WP for that? Do I need to know HTML?

I realize these questions seem basic and probably make no sense to seasoned professionals. Any answers can help me navigate through this learning curve. TIA!!!

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Hey, Maxoman, we were all there at one time!

Wordpress is a platform for websites. You would buy a URL (don't do the free one through Wordpress.com), and then you can either download a free template (there are a bunch on Wordpress.org) or buy some of the others available. Several have been discussed on ABW in the past, and I'm sure some of our members have their favorites too.

Pick the template that best reflects your vision and functionality for the site. Consider making a plan for your site in advance, mapping out all of the pages you want, or at least all the categories of pages you have in mind. The template should enable you to adjust the color palette, upload pictures, and do lots of other things to make it your own, but it is much easier to start with something close to what you had in mind.

You will also need to arrange your own hosting. There are many great companies for that as well. Alot of them have a C-panel which enables you to install and/or update Wordpress with one click (I've used that in the past and loved it!).
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Good explanation from Jeannine, but let me add a couple of things:

1. Another key reason to use only Wordpress.org and NOT wordpress.com is that the hosted .com platform PROHIBITS affiliate links. Remember that.

2. You can adjust your Wordpress settings to have a Page and not a blog as your home page, and you can use regular pages just like on other platforms, and you can have a blog or not along with those pages.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Maxoman View Post
    Hello! I am a newb trying to get a site up and running. I am curious as to what Wordpress is all about. Is it a hosting site? Do I need a separate hosting site and use WP as a development/traffic tool? How do I connect to WP? I am more interested in creating a website than a daily blog. Do you use WP for that? Do I need to know HTML?

I realize these questions seem basic and probably make no sense to seasoned professionals. Any answers can help me navigate through this learning curve. TIA!!!
    Hi Maxoman,

To add to the other comments, wordpress is a great CMS...It's probably the most widely used CMS in the online marketing industry. Regarding hosting, most of the popular hosting sites have the "one click" install script for wordpress which makes it simple to install wordpress on your domain. There is a bit of a learning curve at first, but once you do a couple of them you'll find it is pretty easy to use. Youtube can be your best friend when it comes to learning how to install wordpress and how to use it. Having some knowledge of HTML will definitely help and is a great asset to have considering you are an online marketer (as well as graphic design). w3schools.com (not an affiliate link) is a great resource to learn html, css, etc...I myself have used them many times but I prefer watching videos so youtube has been my "go to" place to learn stuff...lol.

Hope this insight helps!

Thank you so much for the info! You guys even answered a few questions I didn't know I had. And good to know about Wordpress.org vs .com

Regarding hosting, are there a top few hosting sites that I should be looking into? What do I look for?

One of the most popular as far as I know is hostgator. I personally use hostmonster and have used them for years. It all depends on what you want to do (budget, seo, dedicated, etc...).

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Many of the affiliate networks are releasing tools that are WordPress plugins as well, which once installed will allow you to do some pretty cool things in terms of posting links and promoting products without having to login to the network interface to do it. AvantLink WP from AvantLink is pretty awesome this way.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

FYI -- Somewhere on this forum someone posted comments that they were having poor performance, i.e., support, issues with hostgator since the company changed ownership.

Disclaimer: It's been YEARS ago that I hosted with hostgator and I AM NOT either recommending them or criticizing them. Just thought anyone considering hostgator might want to use the "Search" function and see what others who use them might be saying.

Personally, I have a VPS account with KnownHost and have been very happy with their service and support for the last 5-6 years. But, VPS hosting is generally "overkill" for someone just starting out -- and I really don't know whether KnownHost offers any lesser hosting plans.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    we host our affiliate program blog at Hostgator and there are definitely times when I am underwhelmed with the load time of the blog.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeadGen View Post
    One of the most popular as far as I know is hostgator. I personally use hostmonster and have used them for years. It all depends on what you want to do (budget, seo, dedicated, etc...).
    Do not use HostGator.
    I've been pitching HostGator for years, even though there have been issues for other people. For me they were great.
    Then I had a hiccup earlier in the year and then MAJOR downtime last month.
    Now, I have moved most sites away and am using the credit for the major downtime to let me gradually transition sites away.
    There are other options out there.
    HostGator and their parent company and their affiliated companies, of which there are many, should not be considered.

And I repeat ... other people had issues, not me. Until I did.
    If you are not, you will.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread