Tracking PPC keywords
    I'm kind of new to this, and have been running PPC campaigns (Adwords only), tracking conversion only at the 'lead' level - using event tracking on Google Analytics to track clicks on my affiliate links.

I'd like to use CJ's SID to see how each PPC keyword is performing in terms of actual sales.
    So I can send my keyword with the SID, as I get it from Google:
    www.mysite.com?SID={keyword}

But I don't really want the publisher to see what keywords I'm bidding on - I use really niche keywords and don't want their PPC team to start bidding on them too.
    Does anyone have a method of getting this information without sharing it with the publisher?
    Should I encrypt the keyword somehow?
    Last edited by PPCer; October 16th, 2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: mistake

Haven't tried this, but couldn't you just assign an ID to each keyword and pass the ID as the SID parameter.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

And welcome to ABW
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Thanks
    That could be a good idea but the {keyword} value is provided by Adwords automatically, the system doesn't have an ID for each one. I can't create my own IDs since there are thousands of words, and I add many new ones all the time so it would be too much maintenance to keep this updated.

The obvious solution is to have 1 ad per 1 URL per 1 keyword in each ad group. So the ID goes into the name of the ad group and into the URL.
    But it's a terrible solution for an existing campaign, since it requires recreating every ad and losing any gained rating in the process. And it's a messy way anyway.
    First make sure you really really really need those stats.

I'd suggest some sort of affiliate tracker. I use Voluum personally. Here is your logic:

1. Setup a traffic source called Google AdWords, define that you expect a {keyword} token.
    2. Setup an offer in CJ specifying that you will pass a unique ID to their SubID field.
    3. Put a link generated by Voluum into your AdWords ads.

When traffic flows from AdWords, each click will be assigned a unique ID and a keyword (or even placement and specific ad ID via {adposition} and {creative} params) will be recorded by Voluum. Next the click will be redirected to CJ URL with a SubID equal to click ID recored by Voluum.

You can get conversions automatically from CJ if you manage to convience them to set a PostBack for you, if they refuse, you can still upload conversions to Voluum manually from CJ reports.

After uploading conversions (daily, weekly or monthly as you prefer) you will be able to see reports by each keyword (screen attached). If you add average Cost Per Click for your campaigns you can even calculate ROI.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; December 4th, 2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: removed referral links.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread