In the land of Gone with the Wind and the Walking Dead
    Moment of Terror!
    Earlier today I was surfing the web, looking at blogs and getting ideas of what I might be doing in the future and saw a couple of tweaks I could try on my wordpress site. After taking a break and collecting my thoughts, and deciding the Falcons had lost another game, I went to log on to my WP dashboard... At that point my virus software started clanging like a convoy of firetrucks! For a moment all I could do stare at the screen while that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach grew. At first I thought that it was my dashboard that was infected, but after I regained my composure I realized that was not the case.

Basically, I had encountered the URL:Mal virus. My best guess on how I got it was from the rotating ads on a few of the blogs. A quick study revealed several long and contorted methods of removing the virus/malware causing the problem. I decide to try a different tactic and downloaded AdwCleaner.

1) I deleted the browsing history from IE (check box everything)
    2) Ran AdwCleaner and quarantined everything it recommended.
    3) Ran CCLeaner, besides the usual suspects I included the DNS cache and the Thunderbird history & cache.
    4) Ran Glary Utilities – Privacy – erase history
    5) And one last reboot...

It has been several hours now and so far no more virus alerts. Even managed to log onto my dashboard and make that tweak I was wanting to do.

All of this brought up two questions:

What is a blogger to do if the ads that are running on the side panels are delivering bad scripts?

Has there been a case of having a WP Dashboard compromised by a virus?

Thanks

Good questions, Bob.. Adserving networks have been known to deliver malware probably since they first existed, if the ads are shown on your site, the answer is to get a better Ad Network to show ads on your site. If you work with Google's AdSense, disallow 3rd party networks. IF the ads in question are on someone else's site, your AV should be protecting your computer. If you are not using an AntiVirus or the one that came with your computer has expired, you run the risk of infections that may or may not be obvious to you - you could become part of a botnet, remotely controlled without any symptoms.

Most of the WP infections won't be seen in the dashboard, they are designed to not be apparent as to their source and the object isn't to infest one machine, but many. If your WP (or any type) site has been compromised with malware, Google will usually spot it and throw a warning on your serps, may even remove your site until you fix it. You can learn more about how to know if your site is compromised and how to fix it from Google.

If WP is your CMS of choice you should read up on hardening your WP install at the WP codex area of the wordpress.org site.

In the land of Gone with the Wind and the Walking Dead
    Thank you for the advice 2busy. I went to Webmaster right after I read your post and all is well!

Also, I forgot to list Malwarebytes in my cleanup list.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread