Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    When Do You Start Promoting For the Holidays?
    Affiliates - When?

There are TV adds for the holidays already popping up, and some stores are already putting up holiday displays - several days before Halloween.

It gets earlier every year.

I admit that I just did an update of a "Gift Shop" on one of my sites, and then began promoting it on social media as "it's time to start buying holiday gifts". I feel real crappy about doing this in October, but I felt I needed to do it.

So, are you putting up Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza and Festivus promotions, in October?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    Affiliates - When?

So, are you putting up Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza and Festivus promotions, in October?
    Never have before the day after Thanksgiving.

We don't do a lot of mentioning of the holiday season - pretty neutral in that regard - Meaning, we don't put Christmas lights on the sites, Santa hats, or any other over-commercialized religious themes.

We do, however, run holiday banners if they are nice looking, properly categorized, and available in the correct sizes. We will show some contextual text ads as well that are time/holiday specific.

But as for our 'content' - nah, I think folks get bombarded enough with 'hard-sell' tactics...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Was at Home Depot last week and they were putting out displays for Christmas decorations. In 100 years they will start promoting Christmas the day after for the coming year!!

We do retail shows with my wife's business. For our seasonal designs, we currently have Halloween, Fall and Christmas designs out. In September, we had a lot of people asking about our Christmas designs. We brought them out October 1, and they've been outselling Halloween and Fall by a wide margin (even after discounting the Halloween and Fall designs).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

5. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    I suppose it depends upon which holiday you're gearing towards, but I think waiting until another holiday has passed before advertising for the next is a little more classy. It seems that this is not a popular tactic among most in the retail business, though! Unless you have reason for doing so, (layaway for long-term planning for shoppers), I think most people are perfectly happy to wait to see all of the hoop-la closer to the actual holiday!
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR, [URL="http://bit.ly/1oapxzB"]Boost Affiliates[/URL]

7. Thanks From:

What makes people "happy" does not mesh well with most business practices. It would make me happy to not see any ads for December holidays until December. But, as I said, these ads began in October, well before Halloween, not to mention Thanksgiving.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

9. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    The opportunity we face on our web properties is most merchants aren't revealing any special 'holiday deals', yet - hard to promote a merchant's holiday promotions if they aren't available...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Holiday deals and holiday creative - 95% of merchants post this stuff way to late for affiliates to do any meaningful promotion.

I've been bringing this up for years; people agree, but nothing changes.

12. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    We just published a guide on important dates, times, and things to prepare for - if interested. The Ultimate Black Friday and Cyber Monday Guide for Affiliates - ShareASale Blog
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

For me personally just depends on the holiday, your promotional method, and business model.

For eCommerce:

- Halloween: Mid-August
    - Thanksgiving Decorations: Mid-October
    - Christmas: Start of November
    - Black Friday: The week of thanksgiving
    - Cyber Monday: The week of thanksgiving

I only use online paid advertising, because I only run digital businesses, and the speed from setting up a marketing campaign to generating customers is extremely fast.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread