In the land of Gone with the Wind and the Walking Dead
    Network or In House?
    Before I apply to a merchant for an affiliate program through the network I am in, I browse their website. In doing so I have come across a few that offer their own In-House programs parallel to the Affiliate Network. Being totally new to affiliate marketing, I have stuck with signing up through the network.

The question is: Is there any appreciable advantages to signing up for In-House over Network? -and- Do the pros and cons change when considering going from domestic to foreign?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If their in-house pays more then go that way. Or if they offer more tools, datafeed, etc.

ABW Ambassador
    Unless the in-house program has significantly better terms, I will go with network due to the convenience of consolidated payments and easy manage of all programs.

4. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    You also have better assurance of getting paid when it's through a major network, especially for smaller merchants and merchants that do not have a long history of financial stability.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, thereís no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

6. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Yes, I'm a network rep, but I've also been an affiliate. I found it much easier to log into one place and see how all my programs were doing rather than logging into a bunch of individual programs. So, unless it is your top/only merchant, that may be one more thing to consider.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

8. Thanks From:

Thanks for the advice. I have to admit that the network route seems the best, but not having tried the in-house route (other than Amazon) I do not have any info to gauge it against.

Ps - How do you "Thank" a post? Can you point me in that direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    You also have better assurance of getting paid when it's through a major network, especially for smaller merchants and merchants that do not have a long history of financial stability.
    One of the contributing factors when I left AM many years ago was a private program that I had much success with closing and never paying commissions that were due. Straw ... camel.
    I will use in house programs, but I prefer networks for consolidation of payments and better assurances of being paid. You can get screwed either way though.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Bob View Post
    Ps - How do you "Thank" a post? Can you point me in that direction?
    Bottom right on each post, with the thumbs-up icon.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, thereís no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    Bottom right on each post, with the thumbs-up icon.
    D'oh! I would have sworn that was not there a few hours ago... Sure am glad it's too chilly for snakes tonight, else I might get bit

Again, Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Bob View Post
    D'oh! I would have sworn that was not there a few hours ago... Sure am glad it's too chilly for snakes tonight, else I might get bit

Again, Thanks for the advice.
    No worry - I can not see that even now
    Anyway in-house can give you higher profits as they don;t have to cover networks overide fee but as mentioned above its also about being paid on time every time....

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Said it before - our largest revenue producer is an in-house program.

That being said, for 99.99% of all programs we prefer a merchant to be in a network...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

15. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post

That being said, for 99.99% of all programs we prefer a merchant to be in a network...
    I can say the exact same thing - different programs but same experience.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

17. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post

Most agree here, I prefer networks but I also run multiple niche markets. For me networks payout faster then in-house programs, and are usually better managed then in-house networks, do to the fact that a networks business model is about affiliate programs, where in-house programs have to run their main business as well.

19. Thanks From:

Since you're new, sticking with a network is likely going to serve you best. Personally, I prefer to go direct whenever possible. It all depends on the merchant and how they've chosen to set up and actually manage their program, but sometimes when a network is in the middle you'll see lower payouts and lower performance due to a greater percentage of conversion pixels just not firing/reporting (mostly due to technical considerations, but sometimes by design). On the flip side, a network setup may offer better tracking and reporting if the in-house system is a basic proprietary build. How's that for a big old 'it depends' kind of non-answer? If you have a 'for-example', I'd be happy to take a look at the two options and simply tell you which way I'd go and why... Again, each case will likely have its own unique reasoning.

21. Thanks From:

As an AM of an in-house program the few "selling points" that we have that our network counterparts don't offer is:

- Higher Commissions (No network fees, send that extra money back to affiliates!)
    - More integration (API solution, white label, and deep linking)
    - Bi weekly Payments (Not sure if this is offered in some networks, but mostly I think they pay monthly)
    - Deeper analysis for attribution (This is circumstantial to our program but we are able to see a little deeper on the click path and attribute accordingly).

Again, these differences may not be enough to sway an affiliate of the simplicity of having all their programs running in one centralized location. However, it sways enough that my program continues to grow

I strongly prefer working through networks (especially the good, clean networks), but will (and do) work with indies if the situation is right.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I really, really prefer networks. If I go with a private program I've got to do a non trivial amount of R+D, automated report retrieval, coding up redirects, retrieving and processing their datafeed, etc. It has to be a really special program for me to go private with them.

If new merchants want me to give them a chance, they have to be on a major network.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

25. Thanks From:

We have launched in-house and network - for convenience of Affiliates. Will see which one attracts more people.

27. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread