Post How to Get High Quality Traffic at Low Prices
    Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum, but not new to affiliate marketing. I've been a full time affiliate for 7yrs now, and must say its an awesome lifestyle! I highly recommend it!!!

After reading through the forum a bit, I've noticed a lot of you are trying to build affiliate marketing businesses using niche related blogs/websites, with high quality content, and the overall goal to rank high in google's SERPs. Pretty much a completely organic strategy.

Now when I first started, I tried the same thing and it worked fairly well, but took so much time, and in the end its truly an unstable business model in the affiliate space.

The only time I ever recommend investing your time in a blog or organic campaign is when you truly enjoy the topic, for example build a blog using yourname.com, and just blog about stuff you like. Sure you can throw in some affiliate links when you the opportunity but the point of the blog is just to build your brand, and voice your thoughts on topics your passionate about.

With that being said, now a days, if you want to build a successful affiliate business quickly i.e. 3 - 6 months or faster depending on your work ethic, experience, and technical skills, you have to use digital advertising.

By driving traffic from digital advertising you can instantly get tons of real people in front you affiliate offers, who are actually interested. How do I know their interested? because they had to click your ad in order to see the offer, and marketing 101, your ad pre-sells your affiliate offer, meaning they are interested.

I think a lot of newbies shy away from digital advertising because they either have misconceptions about the cost, or they just don't know.

So I decided to share a quick paid advertising source where you can get high quality traffic for dirt cheap. That source....Bing Ads.... Below I showed a screen shot of just one campaign I ran on bing, which shows how much I spent on ads, and how many people I got to my affiliate offer for that cost.

I ran some ads on bing which showed up in bing search engine website to be exact. This is a straight affiliate campaign, and you can bet I made a profit since I got a ton of visitors for barely $140.

It took me 2yrs from when I first got started with affiliate marketing to get into paid ads, and when I did, it changed everything.

My income grow exponentially, I was able to scale my business and grow faster, much faster.

Now running paid ads campaigns is different then building organic campaigns, so you will have to learn some new things.

But you have complete control, you can turn your campaigns on or off, meaning you can turn your traffic on or off.

Its 100x faster when it comes to setting up a campaign, getting traffic, and making commissions.

So for all those who haven't even thought about combining paid advertising with affiliate marketing, you need to start. Thats what full time affiliates do, because the organic route, eats up your time, will, ambition, and honestly costs you money if you do the math on how much your time is worth.

I could honestly, go on for 200 pages, about how to do this, but I'd rather you guys ask me questions, and Ill try to help!

2. Thanks From:

Hey... all you regulars around here, that have been at it for a long long time. Would you care to comment on this? Your viewpoints? Bill, Phil, Chuck...others?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Many affiliate programs do not permit any form of PPC advertising. Before an affiliate embraces this strategy, they better make sure that the merchant permits it. If not, they will be kicked out of the program and all their commissions will be declined. Most of my merchants don't permit PPC in any form.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Thanks Jeannine.... I thought that was the case. Certainly is in the small area I'm working in. Wanted another perspective. Appreciate your response.

My pleasure, Lindy. This approach tends to be used more for CPA offers, where such strategies are not as closely monitored. I've seen people spend thousands of dollars to generate traffic, only to discover that the merchant didn't permit PPC; they had to pay the search engine and didn't collect a penny in commission.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

In the land of Gone with the Wind and the Walking Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    Many affiliate programs do not permit any form of PPC advertising. Before an affiliate embraces this strategy, they better make sure that the merchant permits it. If not, they will be kicked out of the program and all their commissions will be declined. Most of my merchants don't permit PPC in any form.
    Is that because they don't want any competition with their own campaigns?

So far I have only joined programs that highlight specific PPC words and terms in case I decide to test the waters later on.

Bob... you mean highlight specific words and terms that cannot be used to advertise?

ABW Ambassador
    Many affiliate programs do not permit any form of PPC advertising.
    I would beg to differ.
    Many pgms don't allow
    1. ppc traffic directly to the merchants website
    2. or trademark bidding

If you are doing ppc on generic terms and driving the traffic to your affiliate site, I have hardly seen a vendor disallowing it.

10. Thanks From:

In the land of Gone with the Wind and the Walking Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy Rig View Post
    Bob... you mean highlight specific words and terms that cannot be used to advertise?
    Yes. Sorry, not enough coffee yet

The few that I have joined so far give a list of specific words and terms they do not allow. Primarily their names, domains, and proprietary terms with a caveat toward associated misspellings.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    I would beg to differ.
    Many pgms don't allow
    1. ppc traffic directly to the merchants website
    2. or trademark bidding

If you are doing ppc on generic terms and driving the traffic to your affiliate site, I have hardly seen a vendor disallowing it.
    That's true, Sam, if you are driving traffic from generic terms, most merchants won't freak. But you may not get the same results from generic terms as you do from trademark terms, so you need to be skilled at PPC to be successful. There's definitely a learning curve, which can be expensive.

Yes, Bob, if they are paying for their own PPC program, many merchants don't want to compete with affiliates on their own name. The merchant has most likely spent a lot of money branding themselves and their products; PPC sales from those terms are pretty much the "low hanging fruit" which they deserve right to harvest. A few permit TM bidding, but the vast majority don't, which is why I said something; I don't want newbies to painfully discover that this could be an issue.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Due diligence and check with the program manager or affiliate manager. Get it in writing that you can do branded or non-branded PPC, direct linking, etc. I run a mix of programs for merchants, all allow some sort of branded or non-branded PPC, direct or non-direct linking. All start with a 1:1 discussion.

On the other hand I have some campaigns where the merchant does minimal PPC and we are looking for PPC partners. Have one for eCigs where Adwords prohibits direct marketing but some affiliates have done well with coupon codes.

For my biggest merchant I have two branded PPC affiliates I speak with weekly, several non-branded.

I agree that there are gaps with PPC and its the best way to drive traffic less a model of a review, discount site that takes years to develop. Just make sure you are using fun money to get started and that you are reinvesting profits and not taking a second mortgage. Diversify but stay within your means and document the relationship to protect yourself if owners or managers change.

14. Thanks From:

After reading your comments, I'd like to add that I have never joined an affiliate program that does not allow affiliates to run paid advertising, and lets be clear, there are many forms of paid advertising not just PPC.

For example:

- CPM
    - Media buys
    - Contextual ads
    - Native ads
    - Email newsletter ads,
    - etc.

As I said in post, theirs a learning curve if you've never bought traffic before, and as long as your ads, and traffic source do not violate any terms of the affiliate program your fine.

A majority of merchants do give a keyword limit list that 9times out 10 just says you can't bid on trademark terms because it does directly compete with them, but their are literally billions of terms you can bid on if your doing PPC.

And if your running any other form of paid advertising its really about matching your affiliate promotion with the right audience.

Either way the main point of this post, was to highlight how much targeted traffic one can get from paid advertising, and how much faster it is then building an organic campaign from scratch.

I don't feel its smart, to build organic campaigns for the purpose of affiliate marketing, unless you have an automation system built on a strategy that works a majority of the time, and cranks out those sites for you.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    A majority of merchants do give a keyword limit list that 9times out 10 just says you can't bid on trademark terms because it does directly compete with them, but their are literally billions of terms you can bid on if your doing PPC.
    Many merchants have an agency that gets a flat rate running their ads. If you can point out that as an affiliate you can find many additional keywords to bid on they may let you "bid the gap" and insert the trademark as well as direct link. Its all about the relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Many merchants have an agency that gets a flat rate running their ads. If you can point out that as an affiliate you can find many additional keywords to bid on they may let you "bid the gap" and insert the trademark as well as direct link. Its all about the relationships.
    Totally agree

Really appreciate all the dialogue here. Thanks! Helps me with some strategy as I start to build into a new niche.

Quote Originally Posted by gamn13 View Post
    After reading your comments, I'd like to add that I have never joined an affiliate program that does not allow affiliates to run paid advertising, and lets be clear, there are many forms of paid advertising not just PPC.

For example:

- CPM
    - Media buys
    - Contextual ads
    - Native ads
    - Email newsletter ads,
    - etc.
    That's true too. The merchant should let you know whether those strategies are acceptable as well.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    That's true, Sam, if you are driving traffic from generic terms, most merchants won't freak. But you may not get the same results from generic terms
    Agreed.
    But you had said 'most merchants don't allow ANY form of ppc', which isn't the case. PPC with generic terms is one of many forms of ppc, and it works too if done right. We have a long term ABW member here who doesn't do any trademark bidding, but does ppc very well. He was also once awarded affiliate of the year sometime ago.

I have done ppc with generic terms in G Adwords with success. With Bing I got tired of the volume of junk traffic on generic terms, so had to stop.

21. Thanks From:

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread