In the land of Gone with the Wind and the Walking Dead
    Newbie question: Should I nofollow my Facebook updates?
    I have a Facebook page aimed at my little blog spot / gift site. Each time I make a new entry, I post a link to it on the Facebook page so my followers know there is something new.

Now that I trying to understand the ins & outs of SEO, Google, Panda, backlinks, good links, bad links, spam links... (sorry lost my head for a moment) I have a question about the links I have been posting.

Should I include the rel=”nofollow” to the FB page updates to keep it from appearing that I am spamming the system?

Thanks

Interesting question. I didn't know that one "could" create no-follow links on FB. I do what you described on a few of our business pages and on my personal page - several times a week - and never gave it a thought.

I've never given much credence to the "no follow" scheme of things. I figure if you're hiding something and use no-follow...... the Big Goog is smart enough to realize you may be hiding something - and go ahead and follow it just to see what it is that you may be hiding.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

3. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Interesting question. I didn't know that one "could" create no-follow links on FB. I do what you described on a few of our business pages and on my personal page - several times a week - and never gave it a thought.
    Ahh... yep, I see the error in my thinking. I was of the mind that adding it to the copied url would reflect in the link.

Okay, I will appreciate it if you count that as a gimme and I'll go sit in the corner a be quiet for a while

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Regarding rel="nofollow":

Doesn't stop bots from following a link - just tells the Google that you're not trying to pass on any link juice.

We have a couple niche search engines that use rel="nofollow", and the Google recognizes their links to our other web properties as 'sites that link to' and follows the links as well - without any penalties or issues...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

6. Thanks From:

After spending some more time digging around, I found a few freebie backlink checkers and discovered that the Facebook links to my site where listed as "nofollow", so I guess I am good on that account.

Although I am only one month into affiliate marketing, I am doing my best to build a good foundation so that I don't have to go back and correct any bad habits six months or a year down the road. It's a lot to take in.

8. Thanks From:

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread