Unhappy Active recruitment vs. Passive recruitment
    Hey guys,

Reading thousands of recommendations regarding affiliate marketing I have noticed that many people strongly recommend active recruitment, which to me eyes seems to be like going fishing with a broken net. On the other hand, passive recruitment sometimes works, but the quality of the affiliates you might find is not always the best.

What do you guys think?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    To me active recruiting is finding the affiliate site, locating contact information, writing a well written recruitment offer then putting this into a contact manager and following up until joined.

Passive recruiting is advertising on a forum like this, AdWords/Bing ads for your affiliate program.

Do you have a program landing page linked to the foot of your home page that represents your program to prospective affiliates?

The quality of affiliates is dependent on who you let into your program. Yes you will get 90% low quality sites and many, many coupon sites. Screen them, reach out and work with those that partner with you.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Do you have a program landing page linked to the foot of your home page that represents your program to prospective affiliates?
    Every merchant site that has an affiliate program MUST have this. Affiliates often come across merchants who offer products they would like to promote, but the merchant site fails to provide access to information about their affiliate program. If you have one, post it so we can find it without spending waaaaay to much time searching through other means, and maybe never finding it.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

4. Thanks From:

Essence of "Active v Passive" Concept
    Quote Originally Posted by HealthBullion View Post
    Reading thousands of recommendations regarding affiliate marketing I have noticed that many people strongly recommend active recruitment, which to me eyes seems to be like going fishing with a broken net. On the other hand, passive recruitment sometimes works, but the quality of the affiliates you might find is not always the best.

What do you guys think?
    Found this thread by Googling around and seeing the terminology used in a recent blog post [without proper attribution]... I, actually, came with the idea of splitting affiliate recruitment into Active and Passive back in early 2013 [first by introducing this topic of "being active at passive recruitment" to AM Days and then elaborating on ways to do it in this blog post].

The principle underpinning the split into Active vs. Passive is a reverse approach to affiliate recruitment: don't presume you know how to recruit affiliates, but look at how they want to find out about you.

If you look at 2013 AffStat Report, you'll find out that affiliates prefer finding out about affiliate programs themselves (to being found by affiliate managers). Here's how:

• Merchant site: 51.3%
    • Search engines: 38.6%
    • Directories: 38%
    • Word of mouth: 20.3%
    • Support efforts: 14.6%

The results of AffiliateBenchmarks 2013 Global Affiliate Questionnaire support this too. Affiliates said that they like to find new affiliate programs via:

• Support pages: 47%
    • Network sites: 44.7%
    • Search engines: 33.1%
    • Forums & directories: 17.6% <- to Chuck's point above!
    • Word of mouth: 17.5%

These and other researches (incl more recent ones) support the necessity for affiliate managers to focus on two types of affiliate recruitment:

• Active - when you reach out to them
    • Passive - when they find you

Since the latter (i.e. passive affiliate recruitment) is the type of recruitment that is more preferred by affiliates, you want to ensure your program's easy "findability." How? There are a ton of ways...

After introducing the slit in 2013, I brushed it up, and presented it in my Affiliate Summit West preso of January 13 of 2014. You may find the full slide-deck for my "22 Effective Ways to Recruit Quality Affiliates" speech here.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov View Post
    I, actually, came with the idea of splitting affiliate recruitment into Active and Passive back in early 2013
    Just because you wrote it down in 2013, doesn't mean you can take credit for the idea. That's like the ALS foundation trying to trademark the "ice bucket challenge" last year.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

7. Thanks From:

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    As a former affiliate I can tell you I was much too busy to go out and look for merchants unless I personally wanted something or one of our members requested a product that we didn't have. I appreciated that merchants would reach out to me, not spam me, but reach out and let me know about their program and give me the proper information I needed so that I didn't have to go digging for it. As an OPM I can see the need for both. Perhaps a lot of new sites may be on the lookout for merchants to work with and there is where the passive recruiting would play in, which is one reason too we have a link on all of our merchants sites letting potential affiliates know about the program. So, I don't think you can generalize and say one is better than the other or concentrate on one more than the other, they are both necessary in order to get the highest quality of affiliates for your program. I also don't necessary believe all the stats on who prefers what because super affiliates don't respond well to surveys.

The best tool is to be a great Affiliate Manager/OPM then people want to join your programs. Be responsive, sincere and hard working for your affiliates and merchants both.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

Any good affiliate manager will be doing BOTH, and as Geno pointed out, the "passive" part works best if you actively work it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

10. Thanks From:

Has anyone here ever used one of these paid options listed by Geno in his slideshow?

affiliaterecruitment.com
    Linkdex
    Syntryx

Am testing Linkdex, expensive and complicated but very effective.

Met this company at Affiliate Summit West and testing their software 5IQ

13. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeClicxy View Post
    Has anyone here ever used one of these paid options listed by Geno in his slideshow?

affiliaterecruitment.com
    Linkdex
    Syntryx
    Add these two to (or instead of some of) them:

* Nerdy Data
    * 5IQ

See http://www.slideshare.net/affsum/7a-...nagers-toolbox (slides 11 through 13).

15. Thanks From:

Syntryx seems to be out of business! If memory serves me they wanted $10k which was well out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Syntryx seems to be out of business...
    This is precisely why you won't find it in my latest Affiliate Summit preso referenced above.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    NerdyData is pretty interesting and way more affordable than Linkdex - it's pretty decent for finding competitors links by search for elements of their affiliate tracking URL string. I was playing around with an account at about $50 per month and it was finding good prospects. I'm interested in kicking around 5IQ, but haven't yet.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

19. Thanks From:

Thanks for insights guys!

Geno I really like your slideshows and would be happy to see your presentations in live if I could. Do you happen to have recorded stream of these? Or maybe written articles?

21. Thanks From:

Popdawg recently and helpfully advised us to study hard the information on Abestweb so we can then ask specific questions. Since then we have been reading and researching the fantastic material here on Abestweb. Have just read Geno´s "22 Effective Ways to Attract Quality Affiliates". As we say in France, "Chapeaux" (Hats Off). Quality. Exactly what we were looking for. Thank you.

23. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeClicxy View Post
    Geno I really like your slideshows and would be happy to see your presentations in live if I could. Do you happen to have recorded stream of these? Or maybe written articles?
    George, thank you for your kind words. Here are a few links you may enjoy:

Videos: see this link as well as this one, and search also my name on YouTube (there are a number of other speeches).

Articles: there are plenty, some 1,300 of which are in my blog, but you may also want to take a look here.

Quote Originally Posted by Christelle View Post
    Popdawg recently and helpfully advised us to study hard the information on Abestweb so we can then ask specific questions. Since then we have been reading and researching the fantastic material here on Abestweb. Have just read Geno´s "22 Effective Ways to Attract Quality Affiliates". As we say in France, "Chapeaux" (Hats Off). Quality. Exactly what we were looking for. Thank you.
    Muchas gracias por sus amables palabras, Christelle!

You may also enjoy my recent interview in Spanish here.

Do let me know if I can be of any further help.

Geno

25. Thanks From:

Hola Geno

Y gracias a ti. (Tuteame, porfa). Estoy viendo tu video "Leveraging Your Personal Brand for Affiliate Success". Superbueno. I shall watch them all.

Many thanks for your offer of help. I may well come back to you but first I shall watch all you videos and read your articles.

Hasta pronto amigo,

Christelle

27. Thanks From:

In my experience it is better to have both active and passive recruitment, but you need to focus on finding strategic targets. What works better for me is to use the paid recruitment tools of the affiliate network, because it helps me to find more affiliates with the profile that I want in my program, I do it on seasonal basis so every year I find new good quality affiliates.

29. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Michel Cervantes View Post
    ...it is better to have both active and passive recruitment
    Exactly, Michel! It is never a question of "either... or..." but always a "both... and..." situation. Efficient affiliate recruitment always intertwines active outreach with passive "finability" and a ton of in-between techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Michel Cervantes View Post
    What works better for me is to use the paid recruitment tools of the affiliate network, because it helps me to find more affiliates with the profile that I want in my program, I do it on seasonal basis so every year I find new good quality affiliates.
    I agree, paid network-based opportunities can yield really good fruit, and there are plenty of overlooked ones out there. For example, ShareASale's highly effective "Holiday Sponsored Ads" are largely underutilized by SAS-based merchants. I see that Xcaret uses these and, I bet, you're happy with the ROI, registering ~50% click-to-signup rate (do let me know if I'm wrong in my assumptions).

Another overlooked way to get the word (about your affiliate program) out to network-based affiliates are free opportunities. CJ has its CJ Monthly, Rakuten announces advertisers via "New & Notable Advertisers" blog posts, ShareASale runs blog posts and has deals databases (incl seasonal), AvantLink and other networks are happy to do social media announcements, Webgains eagerly highlights its merchants via a publisher newsletter...

Geno

31. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread