Buying through your own affilate link
    First off Hi!

Ok I have a question, is there any alternative route i could use to buy items myself through my own affiliate link even though it's not allowed by the retailer. Doing it in a way that makes it above board ?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    uh, have you considered having a friend or relative buy it for you?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by gibbajabba View Post
    First off Hi!

Ok I have a question, is there any alternative route i could use to buy items myself through my own affiliate link even though it's not allowed by the retailer. Doing it in a way that makes it above board ?
    BIG Brother is watching you my friend

If I'm buying from a site that I know doesn't allow affiliates to buy through their own links, I buy through a friend's affiliate link (letting them earn and keep the commission). I figure if I'm not going to earn the commission, it should go to someone.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

5. Thanks From:

I'm new to the affiliate scene so just needed some direction, thanks for the info guys it's appreciated

Ok I found a way around it, I can use topcashback. If anyone knows anywhere with a better rate let me know, thanks!

or try ebates

If I find something I want and plan to make a purchase, I send out a call to my fellow bloggers and affiliate marketers to see if someone I know is an affiliate and then purchase through their links. It's good Karma and eventually, they do the same for me.

You're only as good as your network
    www.gaylabaer.com - @Gayla

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    If I'm buying from a site that I know doesn't allow affiliates to buy through their own links, I buy through a friend's affiliate link (letting them earn and keep the commission). I figure if I'm not going to earn the commission, it should go to someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaylabaer View Post
    If I find something I want and plan to make a purchase, I send out a call to my fellow bloggers and affiliate marketers to see if someone I know is an affiliate and then purchase through their links. It's good Karma and eventually, they do the same for me.

You're only as good as your network
    That's exactly how it works (or should work).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbajabba View Post
    "Buying through your own affilate link"

First off Hi!

To some this post may read like your "gibbajabba" screen name but, here it goes:

As a customer, I may see someting I like, and just join an affiliate progran just to get what I want cheaper...

As a merchant, I may see some new affiliate that just joined my program, and tried to buy something from my store with no intention of promoting any of my products...

But as an older and wiser affiliate marketer, any merchant that I promote for more than six months that would not honor my own purchases through my own affilate links, it's a merchant that will go to my: "Not To Trust Merchant List."...

There is a fine line between a penny saver customer, and a crooked merchant...

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I agree that merchants have to keep an eye for people that just may join their affiliate program in order to save some cash...

But, a wise merchant should know the difference between a new affiliate buying from their own links a few days after joining the program, and an affiliate that may have been in the merchant program, promoting that merchant products for some time already, whether that affiliate have made any other sales, or not.

The way I see it!

If I was A customer, I may try to save some money on a big ticket item just by joining the affiliate program and never promote that merchant...

If I was A merchant, I may want to make sure that no wise guy try to get advantage of the commissions I may pay real affiliates to promote my products...

If I was what I am, I would like to make sure that any merchant (Or Network.), that I have been promoting for a long time, don't screw me out of my commissions with any stupid term that says that I can't buy from my own links...

Who can you trust?

A merchant have an affiliate program that promise to pay 10% commissions to their affiliates...

That merchant sells a product for $100.00

1 - Some wise guy joins the program just to save $10.00...

2 - A real affiliate joins the program in order to promote that merchant products and decide to buy that $100.00 product for themself...

3 - At the end, that merchant just sold that same $100.00 product that they wanted to sell for $90.00 to someone...

----------------------------------

For a merchant that decides to pay $10.00 commission on a $100.00 item (10%), I think that the best way for that merchant to root out any wise guy clicks to buy cheapper would be by not paying that commission until certain time have passed and that affilate is real...

For an affiliate (A Real Affiliate.) that decides to buy that $100.00 item for $90.00 and earn and save that $10.00 (10%) commission from their own link on their site, that should be a win win situation for merchant and affiliate...

1 - The merchant will get the $90.00 for the product sold...

2 - The real affiliate will have another way to check that merchant for tracking and honesty...

----------------------------------

Btw, I am self-employed... but,... when push come to shove!

Some merchants think of affiliates as their employee, so where is the employee discounts and benefits?

Smart merchants encourage their affiliates to also become customers. Why? Once I become a customer I have first hand knowledge of 1) the product, 2) their delivery and 3) their customer service. Now I can provide CREDIBLE information to my site visitors.

And as Mr' Sal pointed out; a customer's a customer. If the merchant was willing to lose the commission amount to a stranger, why not to an affiliate?

Several years ago a fine chocolates merchant that I promoted on my gift site did a special promotion for their affiliates. If I remember correctly they gave a 25% discount as well as payed their standard commission which also was a whopping 25% at the time.

The end result was that I was so impressed with the product and it's packaging that I wrote a first hand review of the company, products and their customer service, including a review by the recipient of the chocolates that I purchased (I personally hate chocolate; always have, always will). My promotion of the merchant changed from an occasional banner in rotation with 5 or 6 other merchants to a prominent placement on my home page as well as a few dozen product pages. My sales went from 1 or 2 sales a month to over $2000/month. with a peak of about $11,000 one Valentines Day (nice commission check at 25%).

So merchants, there's an untapped source of new customers out there called affiliates. And I still purchase from the same chocolatier when I need a special gift and I'm still impressed.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I'm with rematt on this. I want my affiliates to be shoppers of our site. I want them familiar with how the site works, and our customer experience so they can be a strong endorser of what we do and how we work.

The only restriction we make is that we don't allow affiliates to promote our links on eBay or use our affiliate program to gain margin so they can compete with us on eBay or other resale platforms.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

15. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Affiliate commissions are already factored into the cost of sale for an affiliate program. Its one thing if an affiliate is buying at their discount (commission) then reselling on eBay, that was be a violation. Affiliate as a rule sell at a 25% cost of sale, while droppshippers sell at 35% and wholesalers (dealer) 50%. Affiliates are a higher profit margin than the other two channels.

17. Thanks From:

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread