In the land of Gone with the Wind and the Walking Dead
    Pros & Cons to Using License Plate Links
    I am finding that I prefer to use license plate links in both my social media and my website marketing. In doing so, I am sure it will eventually result in a large library of links. Are there any serious drawbacks to this practice?

Thanks.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Had to look that one up:

ShareASale's license plate links allow you to have customized shortened URLs for all of your favorite social networking needs. License plate links also come with the optional social toolbar that is designed to help users share your links in a viral manner. There are two ways to create license plate links. The first is via the Custom Link Tool, where you have the option to create a license plate link for any custom link that you generate. This tool creates the shortest possible link, and can include imbedded Affiliate Defined Tracking information.
    I don't see any serious drawbacks but perhaps affiliates can answer better.

SAS keeps a record of all your links so they can be looked up and there's a space to post a reminder note. They are especially handy when a merchant offers a product without a simple way to link to it.

I have seen a few cases where clicks on my shortened links show up in the SAS interface from sites where I did not ever place a link. Have to wonder if someone transposed a number/letter or if someone pasted it there. I do not have Social Sharing turned on for my links because of another thread here a few years ago. One is especially troublesome because it comes from a forum where I am a member (not terribly active in that forum, joined for some specific information) but I can't find it there. I don't like that there isn't a way to delete or deactivate links gone astray.

4. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    There aren't any real drawbacks here, except that we do need to do a better job in the interface representing all of those links. Those changes will be coming soon to that page.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

I might as well tell the general public what I spent time learning just now.......

"License Plate Links are basically shortened custom URLs that are meant to be used in a social media environment where every character counts!"
    (from the shareasale blog)

they are just shortened links.
    The internet is a fad.

Thanks for the replies.
    I guess my main concern is managing the library of links I would be generating, but if an updated interface is coming then that may well be addressed.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I'm actually seeing a little progress with the tool - in the past, if you tried to use a License Plate link in Facebook, FB got hung up at the network redirect and didn't pull the product image or description from the destination page. Just checked this morning and it looks like it's pulling that now for me. You still need to take a moment to change the title displayed from the link to the product name or some other more useful and compelling text, but the tracking seems to be in place across the title, the url displayed and the product image on Facebook wall posts and status updates.

Sweet.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

9. Thanks From:

Glad to see that a UI upgrade is coming here to give a little more link management flexibility.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    managing the library of links I would be generating
    What specifically are you managing? Don't you have reporting on your destination links?

What specifically are you managing?
    To be honest, I don't know if I need some sort of management system or not.

I decided to start using the LP links after fielding a question asking why my links say 'shareasale' rather than the merchant. Seems folks don't mind short links but are suspicious of long redirect links.

Right now I am generating deep links for several merchants on my gift directory site. Only 7 or 8 links at the moment. I if add a few more merchants and post something new from them once a month, that could easily be six or seven dozen license plate links by this time next year. When I add more sites and some products are cross posted and begin tracking to differentiating between where they are posted (yeah, I know but I will get to it in time), that will drive the number of links upward.

So, do I just let them pile up? Will there a necessity to be able to pin point a link in the future? These are things I am not sure of.

Hi Bob, if your concern is making the links on your site look more natural to shoppers when they mouse over/view them, you might want to take a look at a solution like Pretty Link - it's a WP Plugin that allows you to make up on domain links that you associate with your affiliate links. It's pretty cool for link management as well because if you decide to change merchants you're working with on a particular link, you can update the destination link in your WordPress UI without having to jump into editing the post itself. There are other products like it was well, but PL is pretty popular.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks for the tip AW. I took a look at it and can see where it would be useful. This also lead me to learning about 301 Redirects and my .htaccess file.

Sometimes tips and bits of info are like the old Brycreem jingle... " A Little Dab'll Do Ya!"

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread