6 Days From Black Friday How are Things?
    How are things going for everyone? I seem to have mostly window shoppers right now. Conversion rates are pretty low. Traffic is high, but conversion rates aren't that great. No where near last year.

Have you all noticed a backlash directed towards early Christmas shopping? It almost seems like an anti Black Friday movement in the press. I'm curious why it is happening now as we appear to have moved farther from the recession and gas prices are so low. I remember my grandmother who grew up during the great depression. She was frugal for her entire life and did things like save used tin foil and saran wrap for re-use. I'm pretty sure a lot of her frugality was brought on by the trauma experienced during the depression. It had a lasting psychological impact.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

2. Thanks From:

Not seeing much shopping action here either.
    What I am seeing is really small purchases and some are on stale cookies of more than a week since the click is set.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

4. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Had been mainly looky-loos for the past week, up until today.

Today is going strong.

Blew my theory out of the water thinking that more folks were going to travel so not to be home when the packages arrive.

Also, thought they were just looky-loos planning for Thursday/Friday.

Surprising to see how many merchants are still holding their holiday promotions close to their vests.

However, glad to have today and looking forward to my batch reporting merchants to send it in...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

6. Thanks From:

Today does seem better than the rest of the previous week as far as pixel tracking merchants are concerned. Nothing to get super excited about though, at least for me.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Things been climbing steadily through the month, clicks and sales. Mainly small sales until about mid month when they started to increase in value. Could be worse but could also be a lot better, compared to other years it's more like 2-4 weeks behind where I'd hope for late November.

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Ward View Post
    Could be worse but could also be a lot better, compared to other years it's more like 2-4 weeks behind where I'd hope for late November.
    Agree, this is what I'm seeing too. I got some of my batch merchant sales for yesterday. Sales volume shot up quite a bit and so did conversion rates. That was a very welcome change. Average order size is still way low, so the net profit wasn't impressive. Still way short of last year.

11/23 and 11/24 were decent for me, but 49% off of last year. Funny that I now think decent is a day when I make almost 50% less than last year.

11/25 was not good. Scary how sales can plummet from one day to the next. I'm feeling like a Google pawn.

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    What is the root cause for poor US sales? UK sales are the highest ever. AOV is generally up, orders are up and non-specialized affiliates generally are running up to 40% higher than the previous year.

Europe may be close to recession, China may be close to recession, Russia may be a busted flush, the far east market may be depressed but the UK is buzzing! So what's the story for the US? Why such poor sales activity?
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

FYI of ABestWebbers, the UK has net immigration of 260,000 a year at present (wholly unsustainable), employment rates are the highest ever recorded, unemployment is at a low (around 6%), a lot of horrid zero hours contracts though which doesn't help and the OECD is reporting that the UK economy is very strong.

Affiliate Manager
    Totally agree on the zero hour contract thing. Strip the out, and the 6% figure will jump massively.

French unemployment around 14% Spanish unemployment around 25%, Germany a mere 0.1% growth, UK around 0.7% for last quarter (which tbh was a hard quarter), the rest of Europe dipping down. US growth looks reasonable, which is why it's all so puzzling that this isn't replicating in the stores. Yes there's price deflation and consumer prices are falling globally which for management gives us all an extra challenge (still need that all encompassing profitability and maintenance of margin) but is liquidity in the US poor?

Quote Originally Posted by John Jupp View Post
    What is the root cause for poor US sales?
    It is so hard to say. Google may be a big culprit with its never ending war on any middle person other than themselves. They have been pushing SERPS down on the page and hiding Adwords ads in order to allocate more space to Google Shopping. I have more Google traffic than ever, but the quality is very poor. Much more mobile based traffic.

As I mentioned previously, there is a backlash on how Christmas shopping has been starting earlier and earlier each year. So we see things like "Black Thursday" boycott petitions. https://time.com/money/3605226/thank...ping-boycotts/

We could be in for the biggest Black Friday/Cyber Monday surge ever if people are holding back in protest. I can tell you that I've had a ton of window shoppers. But.... Retailers aren't discounting as much this year, in my opinion. This might also be playing a role in the window shopping. We might have a cat-and-mouse waiting game, with consumers waiting for retailers to blink and discount.

In my opinion, US consumers have more money to travel this year. Gas prices are really low. This could mean lots of people on the road and not buying for Thanksgiving week.

I do know that many retailers like wal-mart, Amazon, Target etc have already "warned" that this Holiday shopping season will be lighter. That's very worrisome because it means that there is a bigger trend. I don't understand the US consumer credit economy, but suffice to say, lots of people tend to overspend and carry balances on their credit cards. If people, for whatever reason, have a credit card balance right now, coupled with recession trauma, then perhaps they will be slow to spend for the holidays. I'm unclear why they would have a balance, but summer vacations could be a reason. I think many more people took a "real" vacation this year.

The real answer is probably "all of the above", but with a healthy dose of "Google is screwing with affiliates".

17. Thanks From:

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread