Arrow PPC for Affiliate Marketing
    Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to AM, just have been doing it for a few months on and off.
    I recently started a PPC campaign promoting a few products from ClickBank. I use CB Graph to see the avg. $ sale, the gravity and what are the products about, then I pick a niche/niches.

How can I make PPC effective in Affiliate Marketing? A lot of vendors on Clickbank are "banned" by Google (their website is "suspended"), therefore I can't advertise their products.

To bypass this, I've been told to build my own website(s) about the product I intend to market, offer some free and valuable content, and then direct the user to the affiliate site via a link from my own website. (and maybe insert an email capture form for remarketing purposes).

This though would lengthen the acquisition funnel IMO, and be more expensive, wouldn't it?

In fact, I would have to buy my own domain and build a website (I'm not a programmer, so I would have to hire someone for that).

Or, what are other strategies to make PPC affiliate marketing effective?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiramisu_to_go View Post
    ...To bypass this, I've been told to build my own website(s) about the product I intend to market, offer some free and valuable content, and then direct the user to the affiliate site via a link from my own website....
    Creating your own unique website is how 95% of affiliate marketers operate. At one time, a larger percentage use to do direct-to-merchant PPC, but a few years back G started making that next to impossible and in fact now the vast majority of merchants prohibit affiliates from that practice.

You can build a website with little to zero knowledge of programming with any number of website building systems, most for a fee of around $25/month. But, with a little knowledge that you can pick up in a couple of days from many different free sites, you can learn enough basic programming to build a very nice and successful site with WordPress.org, which is free, and you will only need a basic hosting plan which can be as little as $5/month.

If you perchance use Mac hardware, I would recommend RapidWeaver software with Stacks. RapidWeaver also lets you build an unlimited number of sites for a one-time fee of about $85.00, and with the Stacks add-on, again very little programming knowledge is required.

BUT - for both WordPress and RapidWeaver, and other systems, while with a little study you can get a site up and running, you should keep learning more basic html (and then php) and you can then keep improving your sites(s) as time goes on.

A .com domain is only right around $10/year.

Whatever you do, though, do NOT use WordPress.com to build a site. WordPress.com provides free hosting, but does NOT permit affiliate links.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Phil,

I was getting a sense that building custom sites was the way to go.

I've heard acquaintances claiming they make $ 50k/mo purely from online sales. Not sure if that's a realistic number.....

What would you say most affiliate marketers make a month?

For now, I'm investing a lot of time in reading and learning, I know that big money won't come right away, but I'm enjoying the process.

Thanks!

Also, what do you think of me buying .info, .club and other less common domain extensions for my sites?

For a PPC strategy, I don't think it would matter, but for organic/SEO growth?

Thanks Phil!

Legitimate, professional affiliates do not discuss their earnings. It's the scammers who are trying to recruit people to their get-rich systems who are out there claiming such big earnings. I would think there are some affiliates who might make the figure you provided, but that would be the top 1%.

The weight of opinion is still that .com is the preferred extension. There may be some instances where one of those others can fit a particular niche, but generally, most affiliates see the best results sticking to what has worked well. There have been a few threads on this in the past, so it may be worth your time to do a search and see more about this.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

7. Thanks From:

Hi Phil and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I'm currently running 3 PPC affiliate campaigns on Adwords for 3 different products. All vendors are from ClickBank. I bought 3 domains, built 3 sites with WP, and sent the traffic there, where there are links to the affiliate products.

However, my ads got blocked by Google, because of "Misleading or unrealistic promotions".

>> How can I find a reputable offer on Clickbank? If there isn't any, what other affiliate portals are reputable for affiliate PPC traffic?

Thanks a bunch and have a great day!

My advice would be to find some quality merchants on real affiliate networks: CJ, Shareasale, eBayEnterprise, Avantlink, AffiliateWindow, ImpactRadius, even Linkshare, and also Amazon. Some quality merchants do let you do direct to merchant PPC, though you would need to search through TOS to see. If you are taking the time and effort to build all these sites, then do if for quality merchants with real products that consumers are buying.

One hint: You might find the same or similar products that you've built sites for on Amazon (or elsewhere) and you might be able to convert your promotions and links.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks Phil,

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

Don't fool with Google. If you knew the CB BS was banned already, why would you even consider trying to run ads to for the same CB BS? Once Google catches you being sneaky too many times, you'll get booted forever. Read AdWords' TOS and make sure you understand the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by login View Post
    Don't fool with Google. If you knew the CB BS was banned already, why would you even consider trying to run ads to for the same CB BS? Once Google catches you being sneaky too many times, you'll get booted forever. Read AdWords' TOS and make sure you understand the whole thing.
    Yeah, I definitely don't want to do that.

Also I've experimented with Adwords PPC for a bit and I got some data:

So far I got 1 sale out of 81 clicks, which makes my current CR at 1.23% (1 divided by 81).

My Avg. CPC is $ 1.87. Revenue is $ 30 each sale.

Therefore, 81 clicks x $1.87 CPC= $ 151.47 (Total Cost so far), which gives me a loss of -$121.47.

If my CR stays the same, I would need to bring my avg. CPC down to approx. $ 0.37 just to break even. In fact:

$ 0.37 x 81 = $ 29.97 Cost of each sale.

I AM AWARE THIS SAMPLE DATA IS TOO LITTLE, but it's giving me an idea of the profitability (or loss in this case) of the campaign.

The problem is that, in order to rank on the first page of Google for my keywords, I need a bid of at least $ 1.50- $ 2.

I am selling Medical Coding Exam Guides as an affiliate, so my current keywords include:

medical coding exam
    AAPC
    medical coder
    medical coding
    medical coding exam study guide

and the like...

What do you think of my proposed solution:

- Do some keyword research and bid on long-tail, more specific keywords (they should be cheaper) using the Keyword Planner in AdWords?

- Try bidding in another country and target English speaking users there? (Looking up traffic estimates via Keyword Planner). I am currently marketing the US and the Philippines because I went on Google Trends and saw that the these are the countries with the highest search index for those keywords.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Depending you your niche your might want to look towards CPV traffic sources. Especially for offers that are banned from Google.

Quote Originally Posted by tiramisu_to_go View Post
    Also I've experimented with Adwords PPC for a bit and I got some data:

So far I got 1 sale out of 81 clicks, which makes my current CR at 1.23% (1 divided by 81).

My Avg. CPC is $ 1.87. Revenue is $ 30 each sale.

Therefore, 81 clicks x $1.87 CPC= $ 151.47 (Total Cost so far), which gives me a loss of -$121.47.

If my CR stays the same, I would need to bring my avg. CPC down to approx. $ 0.37 just to break even. In fact:

$ 0.37 x 81 = $ 29.97 Cost of each sale.

I AM AWARE THIS SAMPLE DATA IS TOO LITTLE, but it's giving me an idea of the profitability (or loss in this case) of the campaign.

The problem is that, in order to rank on the first page of Google for my keywords, I need a bid of at least $ 1.50- $ 2.

I am selling Medical Coding Exam Guides as an affiliate, so my current keywords include:

medical coding exam
    AAPC
    medical coder
    medical coding
    medical coding exam study guide

and the like...

What do you think of my proposed solution:

- Do some keyword research and bid on long-tail, more specific keywords (they should be cheaper) using the Keyword Planner in AdWords?

- Try bidding in another country and target English speaking users there? (Looking up traffic estimates via Keyword Planner). I am currently marketing the US and the Philippines because I went on Google Trends and saw that the these are the countries with the highest search index for those keywords.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    There are a lot of things you need to take into consideration before calculating your cost for Adwords. Many things can affect how much you pay per click and when doing PPC you must work towards bringing your click cost down rather than taking the first day's data and give up on it.

The key to Adwords is the quality score of your ads. You could be paying $2 for the 3rd spot with a quality score of 5/10 while the first spot is paying 80 cents a click with a 10/10 quality score. Therefore you must work on your quality score first.

Quality score is your ad relevance to your landing page, your landing page experience and last but not least your ad's CTR.

I personally do a lot of A/B testing. I make sure that I don't send people to a non-relevant page when they click on my ad. As soon as they get to the page, they find what they were looking for. There is no clicking around or reading wall of text to find the relevant content.

Your page must also have relevant text to your ad. You can't have a giant picture with no text but a "Click here!" button. Usually 200-300 word short explanation goes well for landing page experience. Use this text towards the bottom of your landing page. Let people find what they want when the page loads first and keep the text below for those who wants to keep on reading about the product.

As far as your ads, you cannot advertise "used cars" and send people to a page that has hundreds of different cars listed. You should always say "Used 2012 Chevy Tahoe" and send people to the page with that very specific car you advertised. Never ever use broad terms.

Once you are able to get your QS high and drop your cost, let your ads run couple of days (while A/B testing) so that your CTR can increase in the mean time. Don't worry about profiting as soon as you run your ad. It's ok to lose money during you A/B testing. If one page converts 3 sales out of 20, try a different page design with different colors and different text to see if you can increase it to 5 sales out of 20 clicks. Have a game plan, have your A/B testing material ready to go and test them one after another until you come up with the best results. In the mean time, your CTR will also improve so will your Quality score. If you can get your quality score to at least 8/10, your cost per click will also drop for the same spot you were sitting on.

Lastly, take the keyword data you have, match the times you received clicks to certain keywords with the times you made sales and use that data to eliminate the weak keywords that did not convert. Keep adding different keywords and watch them closely. Not every keyword will convert just as good as the others. Adding negative keywords will save you a lot of money and weed out non-converting clicks.

16. Thanks From:

If you do decide to build your own website I would avoid using any merchants from ShareaSale. ShareaSale makes it near impossible to efficiently do any sort of PPC because there reporting system sucks. I've put in multiple requests for them to fix this and they have all fallen on deaf ears.

Here's a link to the thread to explain the problem with using ShareaSale for PPC:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/share...ml#post1173003

Quote Originally Posted by UGIB View Post
    If you do decide to build your own website I would avoid using any merchants from ShareaSale. ShareaSale makes it near impossible to efficiently do any sort of PPC because there reporting system sucks. I've put in multiple requests for them to fix this and they have all fallen on deaf ears.

Here's a link to the thread to explain the problem with using ShareaSale for PPC:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/share...ml#post1173003
    Worst advice I've seen. I have very successful programs in ShareASale with ppc affiliates approved and making everyone happy. It's not the network.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

19. Thanks From:

@Tiramisu,

Frankly I LOVE publishers that build a page, then direct PPC traffic to it, then to me. As long as they aren't using trademarked keywords any affiliate with this promotion method becomes my best friend. That Google real estate is valuable, and by extension your real estate becomes valuable.

1.87 CPC seems massive for anything Click Bank related. I may be wrong but I thought CB was mostly niche products; niche products means niche bidding, niche bidding is cheap bidding. That said if you are directing to CB and not your own site groomed for the ad it could get pricy like stfng said.

Either way, if I were king I would make a page to land folks to, and then point them over to the CB destination.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread