Affiliate Recruitment in Shareasale
    How in the world does it work? I searched through the SAS support and was surprised there isn't any way to find publishers who aren't already in my program.

CJ does this and it's one of the most valuable features.

So ... How do I find new partners in SAS? How do you guys (OPMs and merchants) do it?

We don't sell consumer goods (we sell career training and job certification courses), so we don't get a boost for the holiday season. If anything, we get a Q4 lull. So I'm eager to bring new partners into the mix and offer them increased commissions to help us weather the next two or three months.

Thanks in advance guys!!!!

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Hi Marshall, there's actually an affiliate recruiting feature that will be coming out soon in SAS - they showed it off a bit at ShareASale ThinkTank and from the feedback I have heard, it looked pretty cool. I'd follow their blog for updates on when this releases.

In the meantime, I always recommend that you focus outside the network for your recruiting efforts and bring niche publishers that match up with your product into your program, then take what the network brings as a bonus, especially in your case where your offer isn't a retail one. You might find that there aren't a ton of network affiliates that are directly suited for what you do, but that the platform that is offered is great for tracking/reporting/payment for partners you bring in on your own that match up closely with what you do.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Also make sure you match up well as a merchant with other in your category. Affiliates seem to find merchants in SAS so make sure you have everything filled out well. Especially keywords. Make sure you are competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall360training View Post
    How in the world does it work?

Finding Affiliates in ShareASale.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

CJ does this and it's one of the most valuable features.
    Valuable? From the affiliate side I receive dozens of these emails every week - and delete them all as spam. It predisposes me to NOT consider the originating merchant(s). Sorry.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

6. Thanks From:

Bill, are you talking merchant email newsletters or pushed offers?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    RE the CJ affiliate contacts:

While I appreciate and do evaluate offers from merchants that would fit one of my niches, I find it insulting when I see solicitations from advertisers saying "We've looked at your site and our horizontal fuchsia widget would be a great fit", when I have no site that promotes anything in the same universe as that.

If merchants want to go this route, let me suggest that they don't just say "come and apply to our great program", but rather show that you are being honest, that you have looked at the affiliates' site(s) and really want them, and first push an actual offer through the network that the affiliate can accept without having to apply and wait for a response, that often is a rejection, despite the solicitation.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    RE the CJ affiliate contacts:
    ..I find it insulting when I see solicitations from advertisers saying "We've looked at your site and our horizontal fuchsia widget would be a great fit", when I have no site that promotes anything in the same universe as that.
    +1

I also find it insulting when I find a pgm that may be a good fit, reach out to the AM/OPM, tell them their pgm may be a good fit for my particular site, I tell them what my site is about, how I plan to promote them etc. They reply back and ask me to apply. But when I apply, it gets rejected and I don't hear a peep from the AM/OPM.

10. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    What I said applies to merchants in general and not just to CJ merchants, it just seems like 85% of email solicitations come from CJ merchants.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

12. Thanks From:

Wade, actually both. Phil explained my "frustration" in detail. So many are obvious approaches or offers that make no sense - and tell me the AM doesn't have a clue. I don't care to work with that type of representation and don't believe I've responded to more that one CJ offer in the last two years.
    Last edited by Bill; November 27th, 2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Removed verbosity...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Bill, don't you have the choice to opt out?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

15. Thanks From:

Totally understand Bill and Phil. We always try to point out the why when we approach prospective affiliates, give some idea of what we think potential is based on past experience with similar sites (not identifying the partners of course) and suggesting we chat on further details, but including the sign up link in the event the affiliate is ready to go.

For what it's worth, I've worked in the 'traditional' networks for some time (e.g. CJ) and my company just signed on as a merchant with SAS so guess who gets to manage it... I too find the lack of a 'recruiting' funcdtion a little mystifying... But hopefully the notion that affiliates "find" merchants there (since that happens rather little on the 'traditional' networks) is true...

18. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Pearls.com - and Marshall360Training ... if you are going to be at Affiliate Summit West, shoot me an email brian @ shareasale and I can show you a demo of what we have available.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    Pearls.com - and Marshall360Training ... if you are going to be at Affiliate Summit West, shoot me an email brian @ shareasale and I can show you a demo of what we have available.
    Thanks, Brian. Sorry I'm just now seeing this... Obviously I didn't get to ASW - Conflicts with the JA Show in New York, unfortunately. Would definitely like to find a way to see / use this...

It's worth seeing Pearls

HI Brian

I am also just starting to manage our SAS account and am having trouble understanding how to recruit our niche (my company is ... so looking for beauty/fashion. Other than purchasing ads on your platform to be a featured vendor, what active tools do you offer? Thanks!
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; April 1st, 2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: link removed - please read the rules

Sorry for waking up this old thread, but just wanted to give it a little bit of boost. I'd really like to know more about these new features for affiliate recruitment in SAS...

@Brian - would you be so kind to share with us more? Or if it's still not for public, may I send you an email?

Thanks,
    Dragan

*comment deleted*
    Sorry, I thought my comment would nest ... Doesn't make sense to reply to Bill's odd comments from last year if they show up at the end of the thread.
    Last edited by Marshall360training; July 14th, 2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: thought it would "nest" to the comment i was replying to

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Valuable? From the affiliate side I receive dozens of these emails every week - and delete them all as spam. It predisposes me to NOT consider the originating merchant(s). Sorry.
    That makes no sense.

Pre-screened merchants (screened by the network YOU signed up for) want to do business with you, merchants who are in the same niche(s) you claim to be in ... and you think it's "spam." Hahah. What a strange way to try to make a living, my friend.

26. Thanks From:

Removed - used wrong example of spam contacts from another network. CJ spam contacts are terrible. I have no complaints with SAS.

But, thanks for pointing this out...
    What a strange way to try to make a living, my friend.
    Yikes, I must have it all backwards. I've been "trying" for 16 years, having launched my first commercial website in May, 1999 but kept my "day job" for the next eight years. Granted, I'm still learning so I've attended 10 Affiliate Summits and three ThinkTank conferences to try to get it right. BTW, I'm typing this while sitting at our beach home - in a sunroom - overlooking a pool. So I'm not really trying too hard these days.
    Last edited by Bill; July 14th, 2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Removed - used wrong example.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I think it is hard to expect Merchants, in general, to be both engaged as well as not-engaged at the same time. Merchants who are engaged in the Affiliate Community, and who respond to questions/complaints/concerns are also going to want to be able to recruit a bit from the pool. It's just business - they are trying to grow programs just like Affiliates are trying to grow businesses.

Nobody likes extra email! I can't disagree there... but the alternative here is a bunch of Merchants not really paying attention to the channel because they can never get a hold of anyone. Some fair balance is going to be needed and in both cases there is a lot of "noise" (Merchants see dozens/hundreds/thousands of applications that don't "fit" perfectly).

Some of this is just the cost of doing business though. I read the other thread as well that was titled something like "GRRR" I think that issue is very similar... if there are going to be Merchants here at ABW available for questions and such, it is only fair to expect that they post promotions, things about their business, etc... otherwise... and this isn't sarcastic, but why else would they be here? It's not just to talk and answer questions or concerns from the Affiliate Community... but also to try to grow their businesses within that scope.

It's definitely a tough balance to find for any community whether that is ABW, or a network trying to provide value to both side, or an OPM trying to do the same, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

29. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread