Exclamation purchased domain..need host
    As I've mentioned many times before, I'm VERY new to this affiliate marketing thing, knowing near to nothing! I have however been doing my research, and am attempting to create my own successful website. I didn't realize how tricky this could be... all the websites I've been through guarantee a walk in the park, and I've experienced far from this! BUT, I'm not giving up yet.

I purchased a domain name through GoDaddy, and am in search of a good web host. So far from my internet research I'm leaning either towards hostgator, or bluehost (still undecided... recommendations welcomed!).

I'm a little confused on something that has me not wanting to move forward until I fully understand the concept (I'm trying my hardest not to waste money due to newbie mistakes... hopefully someone on here can help!)

Basically since I purchased my domain through godaddy, but want to purchase my webhosting through a different company... how exactly does this work? Cause I noticed that in a lot of the hosting packages a free domain is already included. Can I still use bluehost, or hostgator as a webhost for the domain I purchased through GoDaddy? And if I do this, do I still get to create a new domain since the host packages come with a free domain?

Hopefully my rambling questions make sense, and hopefully one of you experienced marketers can help me to understand things more clearly! I am determined to at least create one website to get the feel of things, I figured whether it be successful or not that I can at least get the gist of things and learn what to/not to do for future websites (if I ever make it that far).

Help would be greatly appreciated.... and feel free to add your own personal suggestions if you'd like!

Thanks for everyone kind responses I've received so far, I look forward to working with more of you! Hopefully y'all can handle all my questions (lol!)

NEWLYAFFILIATED

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I'll try to help. I've done the same thing - bought my domain names via GoDaddy, then hosted with HostGator. (Some people have had great experiences with them, others have had problems, but I think that's the same with just about every hosting company.) I know that you can just pay to host one site, and I don't think it requires a package to do so. Best way to find out if you'd still be entited to a another free domain would be by calling each company and asking a lot of questions. You may find a better package if you don't need the domain name.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

One thing: Never host your site with the same company you register your domain with!!
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I deleted the duplicate thread and moved this one to the Domains & Hosting forum.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by NewlyAffiliated View Post
    Basically since I purchased my domain through godaddy, but want to purchase my webhosting through a different company... how exactly does this work? Cause I noticed that in a lot of the hosting packages a free domain is already included. Can I still use bluehost, or hostgator as a webhost for the domain I purchased through GoDaddy? And if I do this, do I still get to create a new domain since the host packages come with a free domain?

Hopefully my rambling questions make sense, and hopefully one of you experienced marketers can help me to understand things more clearly! I am determined to at least create one website to get the feel of things, I figured whether it be successful or not that I can at least get the gist of things and learn what to/not to do for future websites (if I ever make it that far).

Help would be greatly appreciated.... and feel free to add your own personal suggestions if you'd like!

Thanks for everyone kind responses I've received so far, I look forward to working with more of you! Hopefully y'all can handle all my questions (lol!)

NEWLYAFFILIATED
    To answer your question, yes you can get hosting from another provider rather than your domain registrar. Since you've already purchased a domain you own it for the # of years you purchased it for and you can pay and extend it should you decide to keep it. If your hosting provider provides a free domain with your plan, you will have 2 domains I assume. What you would need to do with your godaddy domain is point it to the hosting providers nameservers. A good resource is to contact your hosting provider support team and get instructions from them. Once you do a couple of these, it gets easier. Once you get your domain and host set up, you will need to build your website. A good suggestion is Wordpress. Once again, contact the hosting provider support team to assist with setting up Wordpress. Again, it gets easier after a couple of installs. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    One thing: Never host your site with the same company you register your domain with!!

Why?

What is wrong with having cheap domain and web hosting for starter sites, and then breaking away important web sites to somewhere else like AWS resulting in Godaddy registrations (pay the bill) and AWS for DNS (host the zone file) and web hosting?

There are many hosts where you donīt have to buy a domain. I allways do it the other way around, because first I built the site on my hostīs server and then I register the domain. Because sometimes it lasts a month for me do have the site ready and why having the domain when the site is under construction...

If you are looking for cheap hosting but reliable one for complete year.Then I have a service and want to you to check if that fits for you. service is available with 24/7 chat support online.Softnwords - Free Web Hosting
    [URL="http://www.softnwords.com"]Unique articles and content listing[/URL]

How big will be your Website? If you want you can use Google Drive for hosting, you get 15GB of hosting space, 15gb is quite big for normal website. If you planning huge site then you can go for bluehost, Even I am using domain name from godaddy and hosting from bluehost, till date no problem .

Bluehost? They have far too many service issues.

I strongly disagree that huge sites should be hosted there.

AWS is my preference for sites that matter. There are other good hosting options too.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by popowich View Post
    Bluehost? They have far too many service issues.

I strongly disagree that huge sites should be hosted there.

AWS is my preference for sites that matter. There are other good hosting options too.
    I am using Bluehost, no issues for me. It's my personal Experience, may be I am Lucky.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread