Affiliate Manager The Chocolate Belles's Avatar
    What to do with inactive affiliates?
    Our affiliate program at ShareASale has over 700 affiliates, but only about 20% are actively promoting our products. What in your opinion is the best way to engage or re-engage those affiliates that do not send us any traffic/sales?

I looked at your terms and setup on SAS and they look ok. You have auto deposit & a very long cookie length which are great for affiliates.

However you auto approve affiliates which attract a lot of coupon sites & toolbar sites to you program that add very little value and just steel commission from you (In my option)

Just do a Google Search for "the chocolate belles coupon code" you will even fine Facebook pages setup with your brand name promoting coupons.

If you are going to offer Coupons then I suggest you show the coupons on your site and do not make your shopper leave your site and have to look for them from sites that did not send you the sale in the first place. It kind of nuts for you to pay a commission to affiliates that did not send you the sale in the first place.

Good luck...
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Engagment is always a challenge, and in affiliate marketing like so many other industries, the 80/20 rule applies as well. Some strategies which you could try to engage the inactive affiliates are things like a bonus with their first sale, special limited time offer or unique discount code, or a small bonus if they send you the URL showing your program live on their site. Before doing any of these, make sure the affiliates are sufficiently large to warrant these opportunities - yes, do it on a one by one basis. There are a variety of opinions about using coupons; many of my merchants do so with great success. Data shows that over 80% of transactions involve a single affiliate whether a coupon is involved or not. You'll need to make that decision for yourself. You can also consider using attribution to distribute commissions, so that each affiliate involved in the process is paid a share rather than only the last click.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

4. Thanks From:

Vlad did a good job helping you with your setup a few years ago. I remember talking to him about your program and giving some advice.

KSE and JCrooks also gave you some good advice.

The best thing you can do is find a small group of affiliates with niche sites within your program and if they respond, work with them on different campaigns. If they don't respond, move on.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

6. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager The Chocolate Belles's Avatar
    Thank you all for great advise!

Greg this is Vlad. I have been on the sidelines of affiliate marketing until I saw a great opportunity just a few days ago. It's a long story. Thank you for your kind words! I will definitely follow your advise!

Jeannine, thank you to you as well. I think right now the first thing I must do is to weed out affiliates like the one mentioned by KSE. The affiliate who created the Facebook Page has been sending traffic from other questionable websites, usually via multiple redirects - I am guessing to hide.

It feels good to be back in the game and thank you again for great advise!

8. Thanks From:

Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I'd definitely ditch the autoapproval as that's just a bad idea all around. I use the approval process as the first opportunity to connect with the affiliates that look like a good fit. We're reach out with some suggestions on ways they can get active quickly and effectively.

If you are offering coupons and working with coupon/deal sites, make sure you're being selective and working with ones that are responsive and respect your terms.

Be proactive in your outreach and focus on getting the word out on tools that the inactive folks can use to get started quickly and easily and that the currently active affiliates can use to ramp up their performance.

I'm not a big fan of terminating affiliates unless they are either violating terms, or rae of a type that you have decided not to work with anymore. For instance, if you have decided to rein in coupon/deal affiliates down to a few select ones, closing the others out with proper notice wouldn't be a bad play. Of course if you see behavior that is predatory or dicey, by all means, clean house of these guys.

The cool thing is that you're working with a network that keeps things cleaner than most, and will have your back if you find affiliates who are breaking the rules.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

11. Thanks From:

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread