Red face godaddy domain and hostgatgor webhost
    First off I'd like to thank everyone for all their help and support! Man I feel like I've had to go back and ask a question about everything I've done just to assure I'm still moving in the right direction. I am however learning way more than I imagined, and (if I ever finish this first one) will confidentially know step by step how to create a second or third website without all the questions!

SO here's where I'm at... I know I am moving slow I have a fulltime job and just work on this in my spare time...I feel as though I did a couple steps in the wrong order.

I bought my domain through godaddy. Then purchased my webhost through host gator.... at purchase it had the option to put in my existing domain name so I entered my domain name then and thought, "well that was simple".

I then signed into my host gator account control panel and downloaded WordPress (I've heard WordPress is a simple way for beginners to set up their website).
    When I did this I got the congratulations link in ensuring me that I successfully installed WordPress to my host gator control panel... but when I clicked the link it just led me to a page with godaddy symbol saying I've purchased my domain and had a link for me to move forward.

I did my nerdy Google research and learned how to change the nameservers through my godaddy account to make it work properly with host gator.

Before I move forward I just want to make sure that everything is going to work properly since I kind of did these steps out of order (because I'm assuming I should have changed the name servers before installing WordPress to my hosting account).

Feel free to Help Me!!!!!!

Please and thanks,
    NewlyAffiliated

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Sounds like you covered all of the details, so you should be okay. It may take a little while to populate all of the HostGator servers, but when you do in a little while, see what you've got. That's the best way to know.

See how much you're learning? That's why it's great to start with one site as a learning experience, and all subsequent sites will be so much easier.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

Thanks! I thought of yet another question lol! When I installed WordPress it says "Where would you like WordPress installed? Then it has my domain name with a dash and an empty space to enter where. (example www.mywebsitename.com/ _____
    With the blank being where I want it installed? The only reason this confused me is because when I was installing it and looked into what I should put in the blank they said don't install WordPress to your domain main page... so I ended up just putting blog in the blank.

Now that I'm ready to actually add content to my website using the WordPress...i looked up a website that gave me instructions on how to set up and how to configure WordPress...i quickly went over their installation instructions to ensure I did the right thing but this site recommended I DO install it on my main webpage.

You seem pretty experienced so I thought I would ask your opinion? And while I'm at it..do you think WordPress is the best route to go for beginners?

Thanks for the support

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Here's what I do.....shhhhh don't tell everyone....

I usually call for tech support on things like this late at night, when there most likely aren't other calls in the queue and the techs have time to more thoroughly answer questions. Most times I won't try something until I know for sure it's right, or until after I've asked someone who knows for sure.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

good move, having the domain at one big company, and the hosting at a different big company
    The internet is a fad.

Quote Originally Posted by NewlyAffiliated View Post
    You seem pretty experienced so I thought I would ask your opinion? And while I'm at it..do you think WordPress is the best route to go for beginners?

Thanks for the support
    There are a bunch of great YouTube videos on installation (and multiple domain/site installations) of WordPress for all the large hosting companies. Might want to search there and find the ones that seem to be at the appropriate level. I know in my viewing, some seem too simple.. and some too complex. Keep at it!
    Last edited by Lindy Rig; December 1st, 2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo

As much as I dislike HostGator, they are setup to allow you to easily add things like Wordpress. In the control panel you will have an install area with Wordpress listed. A couple of clicks in and you'll have it set up on your site.

Their documentation does a decent enough job of walking you through, but you can always call/email/chat with them for help if you have any issues. Like Lindy said there are YouTube videos and walkthroughs out there as well that have pretty thorough information.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Quote Originally Posted by NewlyAffiliated View Post
    Thanks! I thought of yet another question lol! When I installed WordPress it says "Where would you like WordPress installed? Then it has my domain name with a dash and an empty space to enter where. (example www.mywebsitename.com/ _____
    With the blank being where I want it installed? The only reason this confused me is because when I was installing it and looked into what I should put in the blank they said don't install WordPress to your domain main page... so I ended up just putting blog in the blank.

Now that I'm ready to actually add content to my website using the WordPress...i looked up a website that gave me instructions on how to set up and how to configure WordPress...i quickly went over their installation instructions to ensure I did the right thing but this site recommended I DO install it on my main webpage.

Thanks for the support
    You're fine the way you're set up. You just need to redirect your main site to the blog directory. Just click on Addon Domains in the Domains section of the initial HostGator page:

Then you can tell HostGator where to redirect your main page to your blog page (click on "Manage Redirection"):

Although I'm just a beginner myself, I've heard (read) lots of good things about WordPress being great for beginners.

Hope this helps,
    Phil

Hey, don't be worried, may be everything is going ok, but you have to wait for 24+ hours to propagate everything successfully by your host networks. So you should wait and see for 24+ hours............

11. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread