...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Extending Coupon Codes and Promotions
    Merchants:

You can't extend what has expired.

Don't do it.

On our websites, once a coupon/promotion has expired - it's deleted.

You're wasting your affiliate's time.

Advice: Announce the extension BEFORE the original end date/time occurs...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

2. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I'd have to disagree with you here - you have clicks still active from yesterday (think Cookie Duration) so anything they are doing to convert those customers helps you.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Try staying on top of hundreds of merchants' promos - finding out they extended a promo at 11AM MT after it had been over for 12 hours and expect to pop it back in - well - that's not practical.

Until networks design a better coupon and promo delivery method, where the two are separate, and networks enforce the proper utilization of that platform - well, the best and most accurate way is to manually add them to an affiliate's site.

What say ye?

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I don't disagree that it is hard, but when the demand is there, and if the Merchant is a performer for you - it shouldn't be too much work and should have some benefit to you financially.

It can't all just be about the networks - if the Merchant is a valued partner of yours, some first hand knowledge and work is the value that you are delivering to your readers and site-visitors. They appreciate that you found out the sale is still going on, and that you are alerting them to it. That's value, delivered.

Sure, we can improve feeds and such, no argument there, but you've also got a role in manual curation and promotion that doesn't need to rely on any feed.

Now, if the Merchant never sells anything anyhow for you... it is a moot point. But, if you make money off of it then ....

Also, you don't even have to update your site to take advantage of the sale, they are doing that for you by converting clicks that you sent yesterday to them. This exact example just happened in my case as I was trying to buy a gift yesterday but ran out of time ... remembered today, went back, and luckily the promotion was still going on.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    Now, if the Merchant never sells anything anyhow for you... it is a moot point. But, if you make money off of it then ....
    There lies the rub. Our goal is to always have a mutually beneficial relationship and attempt to partner with the merchants that we feel would be a good fit. Especially hard when it may not be a brand folks recognize.

We appreciate merchants that give us advance notice of offers - allowing us time to set them up / market them effectively. A little more effort from us than putting up a banner or just posting a coupon code.

Point to be taken as well is we just happened to catch the 'extension' a short time after the merchant emailed. The merchant needs to stay up later or get up earlier, as do many affiliates, and let us know about the extension and not mid-day.

Looking forward to improvements by the networks. I trust SAS could be the first to fix things on their end...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    let us know about the extension and not mid-day.
    I'm with you on this one. I received one merchant email at 3 o'clock today that the Cyber Monday Sale coupon had been extended. It was extended to end tonight at midnight. I had this coupon set to expire at midnight last night as the merchant showed so I might of gained additional sales for them today if I had been able to reflect the ongoing coupon all day.

Annoying as this was a popular deal for visitors on Cyber Monday.

Agree better notice of upcoming coupons would be beneficial to all involved.

8. Thanks From:

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread