Blog or not?
    Hello

I'm a total noob - been doing lots of reading and I'm now researching niche ideas to promote something.

From the reading I've done, the general advice seems to be "create a blog on something that interests you or you're passionate about". Then the advice is basically to write good content, build traffic and hopefully make sales.

My question is this....

Does it HAVE to be a blog? Does it have to be a site I'm regularly adding content to? Is it reasonable to just create some kind of decent product page or one-off review page for something that isn't hugely competitive but for which there are some products out there? Then concentrate on tweaking it/using social media etc to get it up the rankings?

I have interests, but they are in areas that are either completely saturated (music/movies) or that have no products other than books to promote.

I know this first stage is a difficult one, but I'm determined to break through it. I'm just a bit stuck right now!

Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by murph; December 13th, 2014 at 05:24 PM.

Sounds like you've done some good research already to get you to this point.

New "original" content is always important to build a following.. have them coming back, reason for them to follow you on social media. Static or even "tweaked" sites won't rank high, or build loyalty. A blog, therefore, should be an important PART of the site.. doesn't have to be the "home page"... but it should provide reason for someone to come back again and again.

The second part.. about the interest/passion area.. well, it has to be something you can continually add to. And remember what many profitable sites know... 'the riches are in the niches'.

I know a gal who has a great site.. and ranks number one for a very specific item/topic.. that draws folks in to some of her other interests and offerings. All part of the same site.
    For instance.. this gal loves healthy recipes... and tons of other similar house/kitchen type stuff. One of her blogs is a very specific healthy recipe for something that everyone drinks... ranks number one! And then folks are drawn in to see her other offerings, posts, offers, etc.

Does that help at all? Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Lindy

Yes that's helpful, thank you. I guess I have to just think harder to come up with something I can write about !

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Thanks Lindy

Yes that's helpful, thank you. I guess I have to just think harder to come up with something I can write about !
    One page site work great but you are going to have to pay for traffic!!

Nowadays there is not much free traffic from google you have to be creative

One word 'Social'

I can definitely understand your question. I was in the same boat for a while. Just think long-term. If you're serious about pursuing this, and have every confidence that you'll remain dedicated for months / years to come...then eventually you'll need a formal website with a dedicated blog. So while it might not make sense to do now, in the long-term, you'll likely do one anyway. Thus it's probably best to set it up the right way now, and reap the benefits over time. Best of luck! -Joe

blogging can be boring as hell. make sure its a subject you Really enjoy, and are able to monetize some how. Content marketing is a good way to make some money though. You have to write Well written content to get legit links though. Not because good content helps you rank, but good content helps people stay on ur site for longer, have a lower bounce rate, and are more willing to link to you.

Big question is : how can promote ? is very easy to make blog or website but you need traffic for make money or sell something .Good luck !

I would look into getting a Wordpress-themed website for one. It's cheap, they look great, and the blog function will be built in. And yes, the more content you can put out, the better. SERPs like to see sites that are being refreshed with new content, giving them cause to index the site more frequently.

But this isn't to say it's a rule in stone. I've seen affiliates get a highly niche domain, put up a sizable amount of content on a home page with a few company/product reviews above the fold and make money. It won't be a lot though. And for that matter, I'd looking into an affiliate program with recurring commissions.

And just because music and movies are over-saturated doesn't mean there aren't niches to be exploited....or CREATED for that matter. Get some keyword reports made out and daydream!

Original and valuable content is key. With wordpress it's very easy to rank. Being consistent with quality posts will keep the pipe full and will increase your reach.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Some really good advice here, but let me drop in another aspect of blogging - When to blog.

I attended two different sessions at ASW15 that touched on this, and top experts/performers in the blogging world had very different takes on this issue. The majority opinion held by most, is that you need a regular blogging schedule, that your followers can rely on. It can really be anything (though more is generally better), two times per day, two times per week, but the same day, same time, regularly.

Conversely, and to an extent it depends on the subject of the blog, is the belief that you do not force posts on your readers, blog just to blog, regardless of whether or not you actually have something worthwhile to say. This position favors posting when ever somethings needs to be written, regardless of scheduling.

In my primary blogs, the second position is what I follow, but that is due to the nature of the blogs. For example, on my sports blog, where I primarily write about LA's baseball and basketball teams, I generally write before and after games, as well as when events occur. [caveat - due to ASW15 I haven't written in a few days, mea culpa]. When the LA Dodgers were making a series of trades in December, I was writing posts every few hours, but I don't think I've written about them since. The same thing on my political blog - when something I thing is important and needs discussing occurs in the world of politics, I write about it then.

There is always the hybrid as well, post on a schedule, but also when something needs discussing.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

You are completely right. It's the nature of the blog. A news blog you could expect a higher frequency of posts, since you have a greater range of topics. What we found after posting a blog per business day on topics related to our industry, actually hurt our blogs rank, then if we posted 1 time per month or even none at all. We haven't given much attention to our blog recently, however, our blog is generating the most "qualified" traffic and referrals it ever has.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread