Interesting - Wayfair as a Pinnacle Awards finalist
    Wayfair .com is a Pinnacle Awards finalist for "Exceptional Merchant."

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/share...re-163286.html

Last edited by Bill; December 15th, 2014 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Oops - typo'd company name. Also need title fixed.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

2. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    They used their time machine to nominate the Wayfair fka CSN program of circa. 2009.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; December 16th, 2014 at 01:40 AM.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

4. Thanks From:

Thanks for fixing the title typo, Phil.

Yup, Wayfair.com (not Wayfare.com) certainly isn't the same program as it used to be. Active management is non-existent, commissions are lower and conversions are in the toilet.

Seeing them as a "finalist" somewhat taints the whole program. That is a real shame.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

6. Thanks From:

Interesting that they beat Fanatics and Abes Market, both professionally managed by great people. Also interesting that no one from Wayfair was there to pick up the award. I hope it gets lost in the mail because no one at Wayfair will understand or appreciate what they won anyway.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Hectic GHC beat me too it - Sitting there at the ceremony, I was cringing, and then horrified, but not at all surprised that no one rose and walked to the stage to pick up the award.

Apropos of this was the fact that at about the same time, I am told, Wayfair affiliates, at least some (not sure of the criteria) had their commission rate dropped to ZERO.

Wayfair fka CSN Stores, was a great merchant and expertly managed, a long time ago. They no longer care, they no longer participate, they no longer respond, and the merchant itself no longer converts as it once did, their commission rates (from long before now) have dropped like an anchor leaving the hand of an animaniac, and they refuse to work with affiliates in nexus states, even when there is a workaround that other merchants have endorsed.

The other awards were given to some great people who do some great work, and represent the industry in an exemplary fashion. Too bad this cannot be said of the winner of the "Exceptional Merchant" award.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

9. Thanks From:

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    I don't recall who nominated them, and the votes come from our advisory board. Maybe some voted on who they used to be. it's an imperfect system, but I think it results in good decisions most of the time.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

11. Thanks From:

Unfortunately, seeing a result like this cheapens the awards. Makes it seem like a popularity or a "who is best-connected" contest. The vast majority of awards are deserved and appropriate. However, when this happens ya just get the feeling that something was "going on" behind the scenes. And that's a shame.

Bill, I completely disagree with you. It's not a popularity contest or Wayfair would not have won. It doesn't cheapen them either. It does show that people don't do enough research sometimes when voting.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins View Post
    I don't recall who nominated them, and the votes come from our advisory board. Maybe some voted on who they used to be. it's an imperfect system,
    Is the advisory board composed of a cross section of the industry, including a representative number of active affiliates?

... but I think it results in good decisions most of the time.
    Absolutely, the others went to deserving people who as I said above, represent the industry in an exemplary fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Unfortunately, seeing a result like this cheapens the awards. Makes it seem like a popularity or a "who is best-connected" contest. The vast majority of awards are deserved and appropriate. However, when this happens ya just get the feeling that something was "going on" behind the scenes. And that's a shame.
    I think you're reading too much into it - I don't think there was anything going on here. Not every person voting is an affiliate of the companies nominated or an active forum participant, and when there are a lot of nominations, the winner can take it without a majority of the votes.

In the past, when I've helped choose winners for other companies in a similar fashion, I relied on the supplemental information provided with the nomination, as well as anything i knew (good or bad).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    Is the advisory board composed of a cross section of the industry, including a representative number of active affiliates?
    The members of the advisory board are listed at Affiliate Summit Advisory Board - Affiliate Summit

I also agree with Shawn about "good decisions most of the time."

Look back over the last 5 years - 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. Total of 31 awards. Personally, I count 4 mistakes. You add in 6 awards from this year and that makes the bad decisions 5/37. 13%. That's better than the Oscars.

Before you ask, 3 of those bad decisions were affiliate of the year winners.
    Greg Hoffman

The members of the advisory board are listed at Affiliate Summit Advisory Board - Affiliate Summit
    It's a good group, but not too many are affiliates.

20. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    It's a good group, but not too many are affiliates.
    Believe it or not, we've had a number of affiliates flake who were on there in the past - they are required to vote for sessions for each conference and the annual awards. We're regularly looking to replace folks who are removed.

22. Thanks From:

I was a bit shocked to see them win, too, although being a cynic (is it possible to be an affiliate without being one?), I almost expected it. I thought it was pretty telling that they were the only winner who wasn't there.

They've definitely gone downhill. They used to be a fabulous program with excellent management.

I had never seen the list of advisory board members. Looking through it, I'm impressed. There are some really great industry leaders represented. Based on that, I think the explanation that many voted based on what they knew in the distant past about Wayfair is probably true. I think another aspect might be that they leaned towards a company whose products are broader in nature rather than a specific niche.

One idea for future votes that might help reduce wins by those with problems that aren't quite as public... Give each advisory board member one or two "vetoes" (total, not for each category) that they can use, and count those as -2 votes. You have several members who are acutely aware of a lot of non-public information, and their negative votes could offset any uninformed votes. You might even want to make those negative votes come with a paragraph explanation and have you and Missy review to make sure the vetoes aren't being abused. Just a thought.

There are a bunch of affiliates here on ABW. How would one apply, and what else would be required other than voting on sessions and awards?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    There are a bunch of affiliates here on ABW. How would one apply, and what else would be required other than voting on sessions and awards?
    Here you go... Any Affiliates Want to be on the Affiliate Summit Advisory Board? - Affiliate Summit

I gotta agree that wayfair can't be even close to deserve an award. Terrible affiliate manager.

They terminated my relationship with them immaturely with no prior notice ( simply made it expire ) and no commission as of the expiration date.

I am reimbursing the users for the transactions that is not paid.

I ned help with their datafeed can someone help???

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    I ned help with their datafeed can someone help???
    Find a worthy competitor.
    Greg Hoffman

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I thought Abe's was going to win this one - I have crazy respect for Carolyn and the way she runs programs.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Funny, I thought it would go to Fanatics.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks Phil! I know our goal every year is to earn it and let the votes fall where they may in terms of whether we win it I haven't seen a lot of back to back wins in the Exceptional Merchant category historically, so would have been surprised (but stoked) with a win. As is, I am really proud of DrCool73 for his Manager of the Year win
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

31. Thanks From:

Yep - that one was well deserved; congrats again, Joe.

33. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread