ABW Ambassador
    Tommy Hilfiger 0% Commission
    We would like to start off by thanking you for being a part of the Tommy Hilfiger Affiliate Program. You have been such a vital part of our success during this holiday season! Given your efforts and our aggressive deals over the last month, we will be implementing a TEMPORARY pause of the Tommy Hilfiger program. Effective 12/23/14 through 2/2/15, an insertion order of 0% commission will replace your current commission. The Tommy Hilfiger Affiliate Program will return to business as usual on 2/3/15 at which point your current commission rate will be reinstated.
    Here we go again!

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Cold day in hell - if you know what I'm saying.

May even filter out ALL TH products from all merchants as well...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

4. Thanks From:

May even filter out ALL TH products from all merchants as well
    There ya go.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Um, what? What I'm reading is their affiliates did such a great job they can't afford to pay them any more. Maybe it's because I'm new, but that makes no sense to me.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Hey you guys are over reacting. All TH is saying is that their program is going to go dark (for whatever reason) for a month. They are giving you fair warning and telling you they will be back in Feb. Why are you all up in arms, simply remove the links until Feb and then all will be back to normal. It's really no big deal. Merchants come, merchants go, at least this one isn't blind siding you.

I think the keyword(s) here are "we are pausing the program." Not that we expect you to give us free traffic. It would be totally different if they just lowered the commission to 0% without notice or explanation.

As long as the interruption is effectively after Christmas what does it matter?
    Last edited by oranges; December 17th, 2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: adding clarification
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post

Interesting way of looking at it, thanks. Letters like this mean a pause, not an ending.
    Good to keep in mind.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Some of our biggest sales days are:

Christmas Day
    Day after Christmas
    New Year's Day

Pausing? Screwing is more like it...

11. Thanks From:

Convergence I stand by what I say. You have/had two weeks to make arrangements that your links are in order. You are overreacting, TH is a brand, you can always refer your visitors to Tommy Hilfiger at Macys for the month that TH affiliate program is down.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Convergence I stand by what I say. You have/had two weeks to make arrangements that your links are in order. You are overreacting, TH is a brand, you can always refer your visitors to Tommy Hilfiger at Macys for the month that TH affiliate program is down.
    LOL - Hmmm, I don't feel I'm overreacting.

On the 23rd it will take ONE click for TH to be GONE.

On the 23rd it will take about 15 minutes and a few clicks to complete remove any reference of TH from ALL merchants - should I choose.

Maybe I'm overreacting just a tad - they are the only merchant on Impact Radius that I actively promote. I already have a sour taste in my mouth because of how horrible it is to deal with the IR interface.

Nah - NOT overreacting. They could have waited until 2015 to 'pause' things.

Good-bye. Good Riddance.

Simple as that...

14. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Hey you guys are over reacting. All TH is saying is that their program is going to go dark (for whatever reason) for a month. They are giving you fair warning and telling you they will be back in Feb. Why are you all up in arms, simply remove the links until Feb and then all will be back to normal. It's really no big deal. Merchants come, merchants go, at least this one isn't blind siding you.

I think the keyword(s) here are "we are pausing the program." Not that we expect you to give us free traffic. It would be totally different if they just lowered the commission to 0% without notice or explanation.

I don't think we are overreacting, oranges.

How do you like it if 100s of your merchants are doing the same "pausing program" for a period of time(especially holiday seasons)? I bet you will be sitting on your computer all day doing nothing else but busy in switching links for them. Let alone there are many links that are not able to switch in time. Then the merchants get free traffic and cookie sales without paying commission. There is a reason many shady merchants (brand name or not) choose to go dark during holiday seasons.

Hey, oranges, many, many affiliates do not have the facility with database-fed sites as you and Convergence do. There are thousands of affiliates who have to manually locate and replace links - which is an impossible task during this particular time period. Those merchants "know" that and are consciously mistreating (cheating/stealing from) affiliates.

Over-reacting or not, this is the way it is: Our blacklist is now zero-tolerance. If we see that anyone "cheats" affiliates, as TH are doing - they will never be promoted via any of our sites. Period.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

The other thing for a site like mine is that I start building up a brand long before the holiday season. They ran some special promos with me (including a contest) to build brand awareness. Now that I have removed them from my site, my members are asking where they went. Will TH still get the sales even though I removed them? Maybe, maybe not. But I took the time/money throughout the year to build them up to my members only to have 0% of commissions now.

FWIW, I did tell my members that they lowered my commission to 0%. So I am hoping my members are loyal enough to me so see that as TH treating me badly and they will choose not to make the purchases anyway.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

18. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Hey, oranges, many, many affiliates do not have the facility with database-fed sites as you and Convergence do. There are thousands of affiliates who have to manually locate and replace links - which is an impossible task during this particular time period.
    True -- why do merchants feel the need to pause programs anyway?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Some treat the affiliate channel like a advertising channel and budget money for it. When it starts to exceed the amount allocated they pull the plug until a new budget is created usually February.

Others see affiliates competing with other channels they have more transparency with such as paid search. They don't look at the cost per sale in which paid search can be higher. So they pull affiliates and pay more for an agency to post their ads.

21. Thanks From:

Bill: you know I have great respect for you, but isn't this the same problem as when a merchant changes networks. Do you consider that stealing from an affiliate? That is even worse since the links will never come back. I am not saying its great to go down for any reason, but they have their reasons and they gave warning, this is much better than most. This isn't the first time this type of thing happens, its one of the things you have to deal with. Besides all sales and prices from before xmas are pretty much null and void after. You have to deal with swapping in and out anyway if you are efficient. Believe me I would be on your side if they didn't give any warning or the down day was say Dec 11th.

Tricia, if you can take down the links you can replace them with Tommy Hilfiger @ Macy's and you will be OK. There must be other dept stores that sell TH too. You didn't need to take the links down until the 24. Who buys something for xmas online on the 24, you can't get it there on time.

Rhia, I don't know but it has happened before. As I said its pretty much the same thing as when they change networks, links have to be swapped. In this case, if you are lazy you don't have to do anything.
    ---------------------------------
    On a different note: the price to consumers when a brand is sold by the brand itself is usually contractually more expensive than buying from a general merchandise anyway. It probably would be better to promote a brand from a general vendor anyway. Looking at my site, every TH product sold through Macy's is cheaper than those sold through TH.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I would think all merchants treat the channel as a advertising/marketing vehicle and budget toward it as they would any other channel. The difference is how they react when approaching that budget 'limit'. In some instances as long as the channel is maintaining their budgeted ROI, the finance team is fine with the channel staying live. Some merchants are really strict, though, with their budget and will go 'dark' in a channel.

Either way, it's up to the AM and the marketing team to argue against shutting down the channel. It (pausing the channel) is just not worth it.

If this is the only channel for the merchant that's paused, then, well, yikes. On a quick look, I still see them bidding on their trademark terms in google.
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"][B]Online Marketing Manager[/B] (tom.featherstone at surlatable dot com)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Sur La Table - The Art and Soul of Cooking[/COLOR][/SIZE]

24. Thanks From:

<click>

Good-bye...

26. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Featherstone View Post
    If this is the only channel for the merchant that's paused, then, well, yikes. On a quick look, I still see them bidding on their trademark terms in google.
    Precisely the issue. They can afford to continue spending on their PPC channel which I would think is a heckuva lot more $$$ than the aff channel. But I could be wrong.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

28. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    Precisely the issue. They can afford to continue spending on their PPC channel which I would think is a heckuva lot more $$$ than the aff channel. But I could be wrong.
    I admittedly didn't do a big dive, but how much they spend is largely dependent on whether it's a brand/trademark campaign or a non-branded campaign. They certainly won't be paying a whole lot on a cost per order basis for their trademark (which I did see them still live on), but non-branded campaigns/keywords will definitely be a bit costlier.

Either way, I agree with you that it's definitely an issue. I'll never be an advocate for shutting things down like that.
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"][B]Online Marketing Manager[/B] (tom.featherstone at surlatable dot com)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Sur La Table - The Art and Soul of Cooking[/COLOR][/SIZE]

30. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    We always argue against pausing a program like this, but sometimes the decisions are made many levels above by individuals who think that affiliate marketing is just like PPC marketing; you can fund or de-fund it on any given day, turning it on and off like a water tap. Very frustrating! But it is the nature of the beast sometimes, all we can do is keep up the good fight to do what's right.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

32. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread