Questions from a newbie
    Hi

I am new to Internet marketing and would like to apologise in advance if my questions sound green, naive or downright stupid. I don't have any marketing, programming or any such great Web skills that I'm sure many of the people on this forum have. I just want to know if it is still possible to make decent income through affiliate marketing even for a novice like me. I am prepared to learn and I completely accept that affiliate marketing etc is not a get rich quick scheme. I would be most grateful if you guys could answer the following questions for me:

1. Is there still scope for newbies to make money with affiliate marketing in 2014 and beyond or is it too competitive, difficult and over saturated now? When I say income I'm talking of about $2000 to $4000 dollars a month.

2. Will I need to build spectacular websites with phenomenal seo skills etc in order to be successful or can simple well written blogs/pages be just as successful if there is good content? I enjoy writing and feel that I can write good product reviews.

3. I have little experience although years ago I did run a few forums in which the intention was not to make money but I had a few Google adsense and Amazon affiliate links which earned me very little, not even a few pennies. That put me off ever thinking about affiliate marketing again although granted I had very few visitors. Would my Web page need to pull in hundreds or thousands of visitors a month to make the sort of income mentioned above?

4. Would my Web pages have to rank very high in search engines for me to even stand a chance of making any income? I guess this is very difficult and should a newbie like me not even bother unless I spend money on paid vistors etc?

5. Can someone living in the UK join American affiliate programmes or Amazon affiliate programmes or would I have to stick to UK ones in order to get paid etc.

6. I would really like to living from affiliate marketing, is this possible or has the time passed. Is it foolish for a newbie like me to consider earning well from affiliate marketing or is this just for experienced people who spend lots to make lots etc? What sort of income do people in my position make?

Sorry for so many questions I would really appreciate honest answers as I don't want to be in a position months down the line earning very little and being unable to be a success.

Many thanks.

Hello Please don't take this the wrong way but ...
    Quote Originally Posted by pce850 View Post
    1. Is there still scope for newbies to make money with affiliate marketing in 2014 and beyond or is it too competitive, difficult and over saturated now? When I say income I'm talking of about $2000 to $4000 dollars a month.
    Answered in the forums, repeatedly and even recently.
    2. Will I need to build spectacular websites with phenomenal seo skills etc in order to be successful or can simple well written blogs/pages be just as successful if there is good content? I enjoy writing and feel that I can write good product reviews.
    Answered in the forums, repeatedly and very recently.
    3. ...Would my Web page need to pull in hundreds or thousands of visitors a month to make the sort of income mentioned above?
    Answered in the forums, repeatedly and I think somewhat recently.
    4. Would my Web pages have to rank very high in search engines for me to even stand a chance of making any income? I guess this is very difficult and should a newbie like me not even bother unless I spend money on paid vistors etc?
    Answered in the forums, repeatedly and again recently.
    5. Can someone living in the UK join American affiliate programmes or Amazon affiliate programmes or would I have to stick to UK ones in order to get paid etc.
    Answered in the forums, pretty sure repeatedly and maybe recently.
    6. I would really like to living from affiliate marketing, is this possible or has the time passed. Is it foolish for a newbie like me to consider earning well from affiliate marketing or is this just for experienced people who spend lots to make lots etc? What sort of income do people in my position make?
    Answered in the forums (Sort of as people won't disclose what they make on a public forum), pretty sure repeatedly and recently.
    Sorry for so many questions I would really appreciate honest answers as I don't want to be in a position months down the line earning very little and being unable to be a success.
    We don't know you. We don't know what you will do. We don't know that what you do will be effective. We don't know what the universe has in store for you.

It sounds like you want want someone to hold your hand and say do step 1. Do step 2. Do step 3. This is what you will make when you do that. Then do step 4 to make more.

That is not how this industry works. Like ANY OTHER business you get rewarded for your time and effort, but UNLIKE most other businesses you will never know for sure what that reward will be. It could be a healthy living as an independent affiliate marketer, it could be enough to take a trip once a year, it might only be enough for dinner for two once a month at McDonalds...with coupons.

There are too many variables and too many items outside your control to get definitive answers to your questions. The offer, the consumer, the ranking, the conversion rate, the return rate, the shafting rate of merchants, hosting issues, world events and that's all the tip of the iceberg of uncertainty that is affiliate marketing.

So, this post could put the fear of dog in you about this industry. GOOD!!!

There are NO guarantees. There are too many websites out there telling everyone and their uncle that affiliate marketing is like having a golden goose and that everyone will soon be tripping over reams of money.

The fact of the matter is, affiliate marketing is open to anyone and everyone.
    But very few will make that "golden lifestyle." And those that do will be putting in a $##@ ton of work to do so.

But it CAN be done.

Summary:
    ABW Search is your friend.
    You can make money.
    It will be tough.
    No one can guarantee success for you regardless of how much they tell you otherwise.
    Your best chance at success is learning.
    Your best chance at success is doing. (I've got a post around here somewhere better explaining that best chance duplication and why that particular order )

Now ... head on over to the intro section and introduce yourself so we can properly meet each other!
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

3. Thanks From:

What he said ^

i would head over to wickedfire if you are really wanting to get into SEO.
    You will find some good info on getting ur stuff ranked on terms that will make money

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by POFAngler View Post
    i would head over to wickedfire if you are really wanting to get into SEO.
    You will find some good info on getting ur stuff ranked on terms that will make money
    Make sure you understand the difference between white hat and black hat promotion before you decide what advice to follow on SEO. Black hat strategies are not welcome on ABW.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Hello there, and Merry Christmas to all ABW family.
    I was reading, reading and reading, but kind of still not sure what/whom example to follow to build a simple AM website, just to feel the market. I am not worried about conversions yet, are there any sample AM website for newbies to follow to replicate kind of just to build the first block, foundation.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Fair question. Now the best thing to do would be to look at the other sites in the verticals you are considering. See what they are doing that you like and that you don't like. Analyze their content, their structure, their ranking. See how they are incorporating affiliate marketing in their sites, and what merchants they are working with. This is the kind of foundational work you will need to do to learn the business. There aren't any shortcuts nor templates. But know that you will be much more successful in the industry by putting in this kind of effort.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

9. Thanks From:

Hi Jeannine,
    I am not a content writer, probably you have seen in my intro, however I would like to create a website about healthy dieting and kind don't know should I trust elance content writers or is there any worthy place that I can get AM qualifying content that will attract an audience and will use good SCO keywords. And how do I chose them?

Thanks in advance.

Like anyplace, there are good writers and bad writers on elance. You may not be a good writer, but you'll need to learn to recognize good content. Part of your job in directing writers from elance is to give them guidelines on how you want them to write the articles, including keyword selection and frequency.

12. Thanks From:

Art.. Personally, I think it would be difficult to "contract" content writers for your entire site/business. You'll become a better writer as you write. You might want to consider doing the research on content yourself (helps the learning, and knowing the industry/niche) and doing a draft, then getting someone (elance maybe) to do the editing/polishing, etc.

Hi Lindy, totally agree with you; as English is not my native tong, I kind of hesitate to writ, but definitely it's a good idea. I scavenge a lot to find any good articles, website, etc... related to the niche that I am interested in. Thank you for advise.

Hello,
    New to this, I would like to create a page where I can populate with product list from eBay or Amazon, but couldn't do it. I use WP and installed Woocommerce and WP all import plugins to create pages. Couldn't export CSV or XML product list from Amazon or eBay and couldn't find any documentation how to do it. Any help?
    Thanks.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread