Reason for long "Pending" relationship status?
    Here's another newb question. After a month of waiting, I still have a "pending" relationship status on some of the advertisers I've applied to. Most of the others accepted within days. Is this because of the busy holiday season, or could they just be waiting to see if my site holds out (I'm only 6 weeks or so old.). I'm just wondering because if there's something else I can do on my end to encourage them to accept, I want to do it.

I'm not sure why merchants prolong the wait to approve or
    not to approve; I agree it is annoying not to get any answer
    whatsoever but to be kept in limbo.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

3. Thanks From:

it bothers me that I can't change my mind after a while and cancel the pending relationship. at least, not with most networks.

5. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Some can sit there for weeks or months, even years, with no action. It's the merchant, not the affiliate.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

7. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    My patience runs thin.....After a week, I get antsy.....After 2 weeks I have some nasty thoughts in my head and move on.......Never to look back......
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

9. Thanks From:

Some of them I've given up on and decided not to bother with should they ever decide. But a few I know my readers want to know about and will do business with. So I may put together an email introducing myself and see if that puts things in motion.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Means there is no one home - red flag...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I view it the same way as Convergence - if they don't attend to applications, what do they pay attention to? What if I run into a problem with their links or images? Will they suddenly be paying attention? It reeks of an auto-pilot program that may be full of all kinds of issues and more likely than some other programs to suddenly be gone. Communication is important at both ends of the arrangement. There are programs with products I'd really like to be working with but this can be a real obstacle.

13. Thanks From:

A good manager will approve you within 48 hours. A great manager will approve you within 24 hours. Some of us strive to approve you within an hour. But don't test me between Saturday morning and Sunday evening. or Wednesday at lunch when I'm at the comic book store.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Yeah, I will approve/decline or email you with questions within 24 unless it's a weekend. Anything over a couple of days (during the week) is not a good sign.
    Last edited by AffiliateWarrior; December 21st, 2014 at 10:13 PM.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Okay, okay, thought I'd enjoy my vacation for a few days, but now I'm approving affiliates just so I don't leave anyone pending too long!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

17. Thanks From:

A note to affiliates - make sure you are checking your spam folders... for whatever reason, application follow up emails from merchants/advertisers can get sent there occassionally and if you don't check it, you won't be able to respond, and if I email an affiliate with questions on their app and don't here back within 7 days, I tend to decline the application.

Promptness is appreciated on this end as well.

Have you emailed the merchant? While timely application approvals are important, there could be many reasons they have not been approved that have little to nothing to do with a "nobody home" mentality or a lack of interest in your application. Give the merchant a bit of a break and email them.

Never give them a break. It's their job. If they aren't doing their job, find a competitor.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

21. Thanks From:

Definitely reach out though... if they either don't get back to you, or don't have any published contact info to reach out with, line up a replacement who is more connected.

23. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I had two "pending applications" on CJ merchants who I applied back in 2010. Emailed both of them short after applied. Never received any response. Definitely red flag.

I have long passed the waiting and moved on to other merchants anyway, no big deal. The only thing annoys me is that there is no way to de-apply the merchants. I guess they will be on my "pending applications" list forever...

25. Thanks From:

Agree with mayfly, have had some pending for years lol which agree with Convergence that it means nobody's home. Wonders tho if maybe "Pending" is just their way of declining but can't be bothered to say so. They must have somebody in their program so can't have everyone as "Pending" Always had just figured what I said that they automatically accept the big guys and rather than automatically decline the rest just set them as "Pending"

That said, umm guess I should fess up to being guilty of this as well. I just leave a lot of "Pending offers to join a program" as just that. I don't like to burn bridges. At the time I may not want to join their program for whatever reason but might change my mind in the future.

Lil bit of a different subject but if I really want to be in a program and get declined I write to find out why they did and in some cases they will then let me in the program.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    As one who sends invitations to join programs, it does make me crazy when there is no response for months from affiliates, so it does go both ways. Guess both sides can always do better in responding. Let's make that a 2015 resolution!

Excedllent idea to write back if you get rejected. Bad affiliates don't bother. Good ones inquire and frequently the issues can be resolved.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

I've written an email to most of them. some of them I know for a fact are extremely active, so I'm thinking they just don't want to decline just yet- perhaps waiting until my numbers increase before they hit 'approve'. Still, communication is important.

I do check spam folders a few times a day. I also check my affiliate accounts more than a few times a day- working on bringing that down to once a day. I'm just putting 110% into this and was hoping to start off flying.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    Excedllent idea to write back if you get rejected. Bad affiliates don't bother. Good ones inquire and frequently the issues can be resolved.
    It doesn't hurt to email when you apply... send us a note letting us know that you're excited about the program and what you bring to the table. If you approach me with a plan, and you're not suggesting methods we don't allow, I'll most likely pull the trigger.

30. Thanks From:

Most of these have been pending since November. No one has responded to my email inquiries so I guess I'll just carry on being awesome without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Do Attitude View Post
    Most of these have been pending since November. No one has responded to my email inquiries so I guess I'll just carry on being awesome without them.
    If you need the topic/subject/product for your site/blog then
    try to find their competitors. Sometimes products from
    Amazon will be able to fill a site nicely.

You have a good attitude
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    As one who sends invitations to join programs, it does make me crazy when there is no response for months from affiliates, so it does go both ways. Guess both sides can always do better in responding. Let's make that a 2015 resolution!

Bit late replying back to this and gonna try very hard to make it short lol
    Want to clarify a bit what I said tho. Do have a small group of affiliate managers that regardless what their program is I'll join it (for the most part unless it's really something that just doesn't fit at all on any of my sites) I join them just kinda as a teeny bit of show of loyalty on my part. Even tho am a very teeny affiliate I feel am in a very, very small way attempting to help them by supporting them, so that's why I join.

What I was referring to that I don't reply back to (in a perfect world if I had more time I would reply back but since that world doesn't exist, I try to make the most of the time I do have) When I get pending offers from someone who's corresponded to a contact at one of my sites or sent emails (altho not sure how some of them get some of those email addresses)

When those messages say they've found my wonderful site and would be a perfect match (words like that or somewhat similar) uhhh I don't really consider them to be genuine so I ignore them.

Wouldn't ignore you Jeanine or any of my other group of good affiliate managers. If somehow any have gotten ignored, please remind me.

Do definitely agree it works both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    I'm not sure why merchants prolong the wait to approve or
    not to approve; I agree it is annoying not to get any answer
    whatsoever but to be kept in limbo.
    For myself, we decision promptly... EXCEPT for some applicants who are in "limited" status but otherwise appear promising. And in such cases, they've received a note from us asking for more info.

Yeah, I know... It's like being a new college graduate looking for a job and being told you have no experience: "How'm I supposed to get results if nobody will approve me?"

I sympathize... and we do approve "limited" folks who clearly have synergy with us. But when it's a double-whammy of "not totally sure if we'll be successful together" and "you haven't done anything yet"... Then we wait. But at least we always wait having 'told you' why we're waiting.

I must tell you that in MOST cases where we've sent such a "tell us more..." note we never get a response. So the frustration happens on the merchant side too...

PS - On other networks than SAS, where there's an ability for a "merchant" to apply to an "affiliate"... the same thing happens in reverse. You ask an affiliate to join and get limbo for weeks/months.

PPS - I'm also stunned by how few affiliates leverage SAS's ability to send an "explanatory note" along with the application. Without that, you leave us no choice but to look at your site and decide from that, versus having more info. I lean toward approving folks who do that, regardless of all else, just out of respect for their initiative and the suggestion that it means they'll be a proactive partner...
    Last edited by Pearls.com; January 22nd, 2015 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Added PPS

35. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Pearls.com View Post
    PPS - I'm also stunned by how few affiliates leverage SAS's ability to send an "explanatory note" along with the application. Without that, you leave us no choice but to look at your site and decide from that, versus having more info. I lean toward approving folks who do that, regardless of all else, just out of respect for their initiative and the suggestion that it means they'll be a proactive partner...
    That stunning gut punch will wear off one day and you'll just dismiss them heartlessly like the rest of us jaded managers. Those that do not respond, are not here on ABW. Same way with managers and merchants.
    Greg Hoffman

37. Thanks From:

38. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread