Manta - a scam? You tell me
    I believe this is a scam in every way. Or at least an UN-ethical approach to getting new customers. What do you guys think?

A colleague of mine was looking into registering their business with the Manta website. Right on their home page, about half-way down, is a button with very clear wording that reads: "list your business for FREE". So what happens when you click this button?

You're then taken to a page to fill out some basic company details. So far, so good. After she completed it, she was then given an 800 number to call with a confirmation code, with explicit instructions that it was simply to verify her business.

Within 60 seconds of calling, she finds out the truth. It's a sales scam! They wanted $30.00 per month for a "business starter plan" ... and they were even willing to "work with her" and start off with just $15.00 a month. When asked immediately about the 'free' listing, she was told it's free to SIGN UP, but that she'd have to pay the monthly fee in order for her listing to be of any basic value. Otherwise the listing that was created is useless.

It is very disturbing how many businesses turn a profit by scamming the average consumer into doing something that in the end, isn't what was promised. This to me, is a perfect example of a business I want nothing to do with. I don't care how 'good' they claim they are. Be honest with me up front, and you'll earn my business. Lie from the beginning, and there is nothing you can do to get me back. -Joe

2. Thanks From:

Unfortunately, I see this all over the place. "Free to sign up"...puhleeze! And this isn't always stated explicitly or else buried in the small print. Yep, just a new way to scam...legally.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    Unfortunately, I see this all over the place. "Free to sign up"...puhleeze! And this isn't always stated explicitly or else buried in the small print. Yep, just a new way to scam...legally.
    Yeah tell me about it. They have done a really good job tucking this into their fine print somewhere. Nowhere did she notice anything about a fee or a pending sales pitch. Legal - OK. Ethical - no way.

5. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I did a search for complaints and allegations of scams by them, and found this site for the Better Business Bureau of Central Ohio, which has these four reviews, all very bad, and 106 complaints just for Central Ohio BBB.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    I did a search for complaints and allegations of scams by them, and found this site for the Better Business Bureau of Central Ohio, which has these four reviews, all very bad, and 106 complaints just for Central Ohio BBB.
    Wow - and yet they still have an A+ rating with BBB!? How is that even possible!? Really makes you question some things

9. Thanks From:

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread