Question Trying a new approach ...building traffic via social media
    Hi All,

It's been a very long time since I posted on here but in the past year I stripped down my old website and started again. Basically I used to have a standalone diy site which was coded (badly!) by me....in the 6 months it was up i generated a poor 9.60.

I read alot of info on here and decided i needed a more flexible, mobile friendly site, so I've now started a new clothing website, based in WordPress and invested in quality plugins like datafeed importers and also graphic designers to make the site look more professional.

I'm fairly happy with the site now but my new challenge is traffic. I used to try and list as many pages on google to pull in the traffic, with little success and high bounce rates.

I'm now trying a new approach, social media. My theory is that the traffic on social media is from people who have shown an interest in my products, therefore my chances of conversion are higher. I used to be obsessed with high traffic of any type but when the conversion rate was little over 0% my opinion has now changed, I want good traffic which converts.

I wondered if anyone has any tips or have found themselves in a similar situation? Is my theory correct or am I still missing the point?

I'm looking forward to the challenges in 2015!

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
    Chris

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    How are you using social media? Instagram seems to be very popular with the fashion vertical. Good photography will be important. Don't just pitch your products, though. To break into there, you'll need to be a part of the conversation. Perhaps share info on fashion trends, latest fashion shows, new things to do with your current wardrobe, etc.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been very busy over the Christmas period ....probably a bad time to post my first post.

I'm using (used)facebook with paid advertising to get likes to my page, I currently have 122 likes, but I have generated zero sales from this. So my theory is pretty much shot down before it even took off!

I have however generated a few sales (more than double my 9.60!) from organic traffic in the last two weeks and currently i'm getting approx 200+ hits per day (less the spam that I'm working on filtering out) and this appears to be growing daily. The problem is that the hits i'm getting to a product page and then the user is exiting 80% of the time.

So I'm thinking i need to work on diverting users onto my Category pages to view an entire range of products instead of just one. I have added related products and recently viewed products but still I think I can do more.

Have you any tips on how you do this on your site? (i'm not asking for links etc. just examples or ideass)

Just a quick comment too, I've installed SEO Yoast for wordpress for the first time, i'm sure alot of people already use this, but I've found it's brilliant for SEO in WP, and the woocommerce extension really helps getting products on Pinterest, twiiter cards etc.

Cheers
    Chris

Chris... sounds like you are learning well as you go. As you know by now, no "one way" to do things... no "magic bullet"... but as you see steady increases in traffic and conversions you'll start to see a path or two open up to you.

I would concur that the BEST traffic is based on a community which will follow you and spread the word... and that means adding value and relationship, and that means content, content, valuable content. That's the plan for making this a marathon and not a flash in the pan sprint. Soon you'll be have a SWISS bank account... (Sales While I Sleep Soundly).

Lindy

I love this question, especially since I've created a Facebook page that got quite a bit of likes all on its own with little effort on my part.

That gave me the idea of creating a website of the same subject in hopes to move that traffic over to the website.

My website isn't quite launched yet, but I'll be sure to let you know how it works for me!

I do plan on jumping on the Instagram band wagon for sure. I have a buddy who was able to get 10,000 followers in under 30 days (without paying for them). His goal is to not build a website to see if he can do the same thing.

I definitely agree with the idea of building a community around your brand is a good thing. Providing as much "value" as possible is what everyone says but is completely true.

Quote Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
    Hi,

I'm using (used)facebook with paid advertising to get likes to my page, I currently have 122 likes, but I have generated zero sales from this. So my theory is pretty much shot down before it even took off!
    Perhaps you need to target more specifically. See what kind of interests people should have that you want to sell to. It will differ depending on what kind of clothes you plan to sell. Set the demographics, and the country. Pinpoint exactly the kind of people you want.

Put up some trendy pictures of clothes you're trying to sell, and for getting more organic likes, hold a contest. As a prize give one of your dresses away for free. Give them a good one, the contest will bring you more likes and shares, and the giveaway will show them the quality you offer.

Things might hit off better this way.

7. Thanks From:

I'll say this about Twitter: people appreciate a personal approach.
    Don't go heavy handed in terms of trying to sell products or anything else
    because people will unfollow you in a minute (there are lots of marketers
    on Twitter btw).

Post things that interest you and that you think would be of interest
    to others.

This is a great guide to getting Twitter followers:
    How to Get Twitter Followers : 47 Tips to Attract Followers

Note: The above url is NOT an affiliate site but it indirectly
    advertises some sort of SEO/Social Media Agency.
    The information is great. You can read the advice and follow it.
    You don't need to hire an agency.

I have not used my "influence" to sell/market anything on Twitter
    but I helped a friend's band gain popularity in a national music contest.
    The contest did not require money or any sort of registration.
    People merely clicked an url to a "voting page" and "voted" for a band
    out of a list of bands.

Up to now I've just been "collecting followers" by tweeting what interests
    me and what I think might interest others.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
    Hi All,

It's been a very long time since I posted on here but in the past year I stripped down my old website and started again. Basically I used to have a standalone diy site which was coded (badly!) by me....in the 6 months it was up i generated a poor 9.60.

I read alot of info on here and decided i needed a more flexible, mobile friendly site, so I've now started a new clothing website, based in WordPress and invested in quality plugins like datafeed importers and also graphic designers to make the site look more professional.

I'm fairly happy with the site now but my new challenge is traffic. I used to try and list as many pages on google to pull in the traffic, with little success and high bounce rates.

I'm now trying a new approach, social media. My theory is that the traffic on social media is from people who have shown an interest in my products, therefore my chances of conversion are higher. I used to be obsessed with high traffic of any type but when the conversion rate was little over 0% my opinion has now changed, I want good traffic which converts.

I wondered if anyone has any tips or have found themselves in a similar situation? Is my theory correct or am I still missing the point?

I'm looking forward to the challenges in 2015!

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
    Chris
    Social media is the best option but I will recommend to start internal blog. It is the best way to get traffic from Google. You have to update it everyday with the informative content. Blogging and social media is the best way available to get traffic in 2015

Here are the reasons you need to blog:

1. Drive traffic to your website.

2. Increase your SERP

3. Develop better customer relationships

4. Position your brand as an industry leader
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; January 9th, 2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Removed unauthorized links

10. Thanks From:

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, they're really helpful.

I've definitely learned that I can't just create a shop from datafeeds, add a few fancy bits and expect to sell .....which I did think a few years ago when I first looked into affiliate marketing!

I think it's obvious to me know that I need to keep people interested in the form of a blog and social media. I've actually bought a new theme for my site which accommodates a blog and also a store perfectly so will give this a go when I switch to it.

Rhia, Thanks for the link, i've not had chance to read it all yet but it seems to be very helpful, i'll finish reading it this weekend ...i've been trying to get through it today but I don't this my Boss approved!

I like the idea of a content, I've seen this more and more recently and I can see the appeal. I need to generate a bit more income and get a few more followers before I can do this, but I think it definitely has potenital.

As helloeddy mentioned, i've not even though about Instagram, it's something I'm going to have to look into. 10,000 followers in 30days! That's really impressive! I'll set that as my target to beat when I start

Thanks again and i'll keep in touch!

Cheers
    Chris

I have been experimenting with Facebook, the most popular page that I run is a niche product page with over 12,000 likes mostly from U.S. residents. I only post once or twice a month, conversion rate is 1.5% , but if I increase the number of posts, the CR decline and facebook users interaction with posts also decline. I once paid to boost post and it failed miserably, the clicks did increase many fold, but I didn't make a single sale for $100 advertising cost. Since I started doing affiliate marketing 10 years ago, the only real source of income has always been from organic traffic and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

13. Thanks From:

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread