Feel like I've hit a wall - suggestions?
    Hi everyone,

So as some of you know, I am setup as a merchant who is looking for ways to drive traffic to our website (and sales) through affiliates. I won't mention the site name or provide any links since I know it's a big no-no given my 'newbie' status. But recently I feel like I've done everything I can with no results, and i'm hoping you guys have some suggestions.

First, though I am new to the affiliate world, I understand all good things take time and that there really is no 'secret recipe' for overnight success. From an affiliate standpoint though, I feel like I've done everything under the sun for the past two months.

I've setup an ad in the Clickbank Marketplace, following every single suggestion they had for posting "good quality" ads. I have several links from there to my website, and I have an affiliate page directly accessible by anyone who visits the website in general.

I know for a fact our product is very unique, and (in my opinion) is very good, and very affordable. I am offering affiliates up to 60% (and more via bonuses). I've setup pages and resources for affiliates to go for additional information about our company, and I've even given them the option of attending a virtual hangout to speak with me 1:1 if they have any questions.

I've joined what I believe is the best forum for affiliates (this one), and am even part of other affiliate communities on social media sites like G+.

And the list goes on.

Bottom line, I haven't gotten a single sale even after all of these efforts. Only one person expressed interest, but after sending them the information and attempting to follow up, they never responded again. And what's frustrating as well, when people visit the Clickbank Marketplace, I have no 'sales stats' to show them like many of the other ads do. Hence I'd imagine many will just pass right by the ad.

I guess in the end I'm hoping for some guidance to the following:

a) Because I'm new with no proven results, what else can I consider doing on Clickbank to peek a visitor's interest?

b) What sold YOU? When you see affiliate opportunities from newbies like myself, what catches your attention so much so that you say "yes -I'll give this a try" (even though there is no history or track record backing them)?

Looking forward to your feedback everyone. Thank you! -Joe

Clickbank.

Sorry...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

3. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I have to agree with Bill. Affiliates using Clickbank frequently adhere strictly to formulas, employing a methodology which doesn't involve the type or quality of the product. It is at heart a numbers game, and if your program doesn't have the numbers, it won't be embraced. You sound like a very committed AM, which I applaud, so the best I can suggest is that you may want to consider a different or second network, as the Clickbank affiliates have indicated that they aren't interested in your offering.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

5. Thanks From:

Lesson learned I guess. I know there are plenty of other networks to pick from. But are there any you might suggest who may be more open to newbies with no stats yet?

Networks all provide conversion stats (or "new"). Affiliates anywhere are going to look at your stats (or see "new") and wonder if it will convert. I'm sure SAS won't have an issue with no stats yet. Good luck and best to you!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Thank you Joy!

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasFootprints View Post
    Lesson learned I guess. I know there are plenty of other networks to pick from. But are there any you might suggest who may be more open to newbies with no stats yet?
    I got exactly the same problem like you - recruitment. I got some affiliates and got some sales but still pretty far from black numbers.I have tried 2 other networks but generally they don't care much about new merchant if they keep the similar established merchant already.
    I decided to outsource some company specialized on affiliate recruitment 3 weeks ago so will see if I get some results in 2 -3 months.
    Planning to give a try with CJ but I guess its gonna be the same and they won't bring any affiliates making sales.
    Its hard to get in thats all.

Switching from network to network or adding additional networks will not help a flawed program grow. Clickbank wasn't a good first choice for AmericasFootprints, but with the more mainstream networks, if it doesn't work on one, it most likely won't work on another.

Before adding/switching, review your program:

- Is your conversion rate good?
    - Are your commissions competitive?
    - Do you offer a wide variety of well-designed ads?
    - If you work with coupon sites, do you always have a good offer in place?

There are companies which will do a program audit to ensure that everything is in optimal shape for success with affiliate marketing. It's well worth the cost to do that first, before going through another integration process only to have the same results repeat.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

What Jeannine said. :-)
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

One thing I'm taking away from all of this is that I need to establish more stats as a business first. Get more conversions. Find out what ads work better than others. And overall just get more clicks, views, and sales...without the help of the bigger networks. I believe having that will help draw more attention to any affiliate offerings we put out there.

13. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasFootprints View Post
    I know for a fact our product is very unique,
    How "unique"? So unique that most people aren't interested as it doesn't fit? So unique that no-one bothers to sell it for a reason? (i.e. it doesn't sell).

I don't mean to be rude, but these are reasons people aren't so interested. Can you set up on another network and then approach likely sites individually? If you market/product is very niche, then I'd try this approach.

No offense taken. I know what you mean Paul. I'm not going to say it's the "first of its kind", but it's a very unique concept. I guess from an outsiders point of view, I see 'unique' as an opportunity because it has minimal competition. But I understand how a unique idea can also be seen as a challenge not many are willing to take.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    Switching from network to network or adding additional networks will not help a flawed program grow. Clickbank wasn't a good first choice for AmericasFootprints, but with the more mainstream networks, if it doesn't work on one, it most likely won't work on another.

Before adding/switching, review your program:

- Is your conversion rate good?
    - Are your commissions competitive?
    - Do you offer a wide variety of well-designed ads?
    - If you work with coupon sites, do you always have a good offer in place?

There are companies which will do a program audit to ensure that everything is in optimal shape for success with affiliate marketing. It's well worth the cost to do that first, before going through another integration process only to have the same results repeat.
    I read all your posts here carefully as you know what you are talking about but here I disagree. Some networks got different base of webmasters , some are more GEO targetted , some have larger base of mailers and some social net. affiliates , some have co-managment or full managment offers etc etc - worth a try to test with different networks.

Anyway I would be curious if you can show me some of program audit companies that you mentioned - if the price is decent I would surely give it a try.

I do agree with you that the affiliate base for each network varies. To build on your point, I know of many affiliates who prefer working with one network over another for a variety of reasons - tracking quality, interface, affiliate support, etc.

My point here was that it would make sense to ensure that everything was in proper order before switching or adding networks; once that's done, then having a second network can indeed help grow a program. (Caveat here - don't go crazy and just keep adding networks; I've seen programs with 6 or more and that caused a host of other problems!)

I know that Nicholas Podrasky, NickNap on ABW, does these types of audits. He has some white papers on his website which you may find helpful. I'm sure there are others who provide this service as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    I do agree with you that the affiliate base for each network varies. To build on your point, I know of many affiliates who prefer working with one network over another for a variety of reasons - tracking quality, interface, affiliate support, etc.

My point here was that it would make sense to ensure that everything was in proper order before switching or adding networks; once that's done, then having a second network can indeed help grow a program. (Caveat here - don't go crazy and just keep adding networks; I've seen programs with 6 or more and that caused a host of other problems!)

I know that Nicholas Podrasky, NickNap on ABW, does these types of audits. He has some white papers on his website which you may find helpful. I'm sure there are others who provide this service as well.
    Thnx a lot J - enjoy the rest of the weekend

I just took a longer look at your product (because I maintain a genealogy site for my SIL and thought this might be a viable offer for our readers) and see this...
    Because everyone's story deserves to be remembered in America's history - FOREVER
    ...but do not see where you explain how you guarantee to do this.

Can you describe how the data are stored, the redundancy/backups, etc. How can you guarantee connectivity into perpetuity?

Not meaning to be hyper-critical here - just playing devil's advocate.
    Last edited by Bill; January 4th, 2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Removed verbose narrative...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

At the risk of saying too much about my business to early on as a member here, I'll just respond with: "point well taken Bill. Thank you."

AmericasFootprint - As has already been recommended, you definitely need performance metrics for recruitment. Some types of offers can launch out the gate with affiliates first, but there are special circumstances and it's typically not recommended or successful. It's fine that with the new network there are not yet any stats since no traffic has gone through, but you can and should still share with your prospective affiliates your historical numbers. Let them know everything you can about who your target audience is, who is buying the product (not always the same), and how the various media performed. They can use this information to help see whether or not there is an opportunity with their traffic or not. Then you can have the conversation about commissions and conversions.
    I'm happy to get on a call and have a chat about where you're at if you'd like. Hopefully it's just a matter of better positioning your offer so you can find the right affiliates with the right traffic. -Nicholas

Thank you Nicholas. I appreciate the suggestions and will definitely be adding a few more stats for affiliates to see. -Joe

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread