Managing multi-network program
    While I've been managing affiliate marketing (as a merchant) for some time, it's always been in single-network shops: CJ or Linkshare.

I now am facing a setup with two networks: Impact Radius and ShareASale. My sense is that they target different kinds of affiliates, but I face the issue of double-tapping - both when an IR affiliate and an SAS affiliate "claim" the same sale AND that there are a couple affiliates signed up in both programs...

1) Is there any 'best practice' for avoiding double-paying two different affiliates across networks?

2) Is there any best practice for managing double-entries by one affiliate in multiple networks? Just leave them in your most-preferred network and remove them from others? Really the same issue as #1 I suppose, except the potential double-tap could come from the same folks...

Thanks,

Kris

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Frequently most merchants won't let an affiliate join via both networks - pick one or the other. You should also be able to see when the transaction occured to determine which network should get credit, if you want to do it by last click. I know for AWin, we have a deduping system in place if a program is on more than one network; not sure what the other networks have in that area.

When I have merchants asking me the same question, I also try to check the time between first click and the actual transaction. If it's close to the normal amount, then that affiliate gets credit; if it's only a minute or two, then I know that the consumer probably just clicked through the second affiliate because they were looking for a coupon or something like that, since there wasn't enough time for them to have actually done a search on the second site and go through the buying process.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Single network for the affiliate makes most sense as a first step. Then you need to use source referrers to identify which network the click comes from such as network= or aff=. Finally you dynamically generate the Thank You page pixel based on last click made the sale rather than running three pixels. We call it conditional representation.

Contact Shareasale merchant support. They have a system in place to help.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Something to think about - 5 Reasons a Multi-Network Affiliate Strategy Sucks

Just make sure that as you launch on multiple networks that you've given some thought to why and what you're looking to accomplish with it. I recommend not launching on both simultaneously, but to get one up and running, get it optimized and then look at adding the additional platform if it's needed. More networks/platforms = more work and not necessarily more benefits.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

6. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Pearls.com - make sure to contact us using the "Help" button and we can help you find a solution to duplicate commissions and such. One thing you will need to consider though is to make sure that your Affiliate Agreement, the legal agreement between you and your Affiliates, takes into account that you are measuring against 2 different channels (2 networks).
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

8. Thanks From:

I just want to reiterate that ShareaSale's multi-network policy and tools help tremendously. But I do agree with AffiliateWarrior in that sticking to one good network or establishing one first should be considered. I managed a program that was with SAS and WebGains, and while the SAS system helped with duplicates, it was a lot of work to proficient manage the program on both networks (they eventually moved over to SAS entirely).

Not sure if it's already been recommended to you or not, but if you really want to play it extra safe, AvantMetrics has a great pixel/tag tracking solution designed specifically to help prevent duplicates.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks, Brian! We will do that.

Thanks GreenAffMan. We'll look into pixel-tracking though at this point it's also likely we're going to stick to a single network anyway.

Make sure that a multi-network program is right for you. I wanted to see if there are other multi-network programs and which would you recommend and why?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread