New Guy Here - Needs Help For AvantLink Approval
    Hello All!

I must say, this is quite an awesome forum for someone new to the Affiliate Marketing business!

That being said, I would very much like to be accepted at the AdvantLink network. I applied, but as a new business my website has nothing but my logo, basic social media links, and an FTC disclaimer for marketing.

I applied to AvantLink, but was denied - presumably because of the "nothingness" on my website. As a new person to affiliate marketing, I need to start somewhere, and I really want to join with AdvantLink. After being denied, I decided to send a note to them via their "Contact Us" page on their website. Here's what I wrote:

"Thank you for taking the time to review my application to become an affiliate with AvantLink. I was very discouraged when I found out my application was denied.

I am very new to the affiliate marketing business, and was referred to your site as one of the higher quality affiliate networks. I know my website is extremely limited at this point, but am hoping you would overlook that for the time being until I can begin a couple campaigns with your program. I would very much like to start out with a quality network, and not some of the “seedier” types I’ve come across.

I have been in contact with some of the more experienced people on the abestweb.com website, and they’ve given me a few very helpful pointers (such as needing an FTC disclosure on my landing page). Also, a moderator of the forum suggested I contact you folks directly to find out why I was declined – which is what I’m doing now.

I do have previous experience with internet sales, running an eBay based vacation rental business from 2004-2006. Unfortunately, the economy took a hard fall and people were no longer taking as many vacations as they were previously.

At any rate, I was hoping you would give a newcomer to the business a chance and allow me to join the Avantlink Affiliate Network.

Thank you for your consideration,
    Phil Carson"

Please let me know what else I can do to be approved by AdvantLink.

I'm not sure if I can post my website link here or not, so please PM me if you'd like me to give you the url so you can see what I mean.

Thanks!
    Phil Carson

New Guy Here - Needs Suggestions For AdvantLink Approval
    Hi All!

Well, like the title says, I'm new, and I need to be approved at AdvantLink. I really want to stay with the higher quality networks - I've been approved at CJ and SAS already. I've been approved (and denied) by a few others, but after talking to a few people in the "Introduce Yourself" section of the forum, I'm better off staying with just a few higher quality networks. So, I will concentrate primarily on CJ, SAS, and (hopefully) AdvantLink.

I've also posted to the AdvantLink forum here. Here is a link to what I posted over there: New Guy Here - Needs Help For AdvantLink Approval

Thanks for all your help!
    Phil

Better Luck Next Time
    Well, I just received this email From Mark Kalbach:

Phil,

We do typically recommend newer affiliates wait to apply until they have
    built up some authority in the niche they are working in. This helps
    ensure you get the best start possible in AvantLink and do not get
    denied at the merchant level even if we activate your account at the
    network level.

We also typically ask if you have any additional stats, authority sites
    etc.. to help us determine how you will do in the network if the site
    you apply with is new, has very little content or does not have any
    relevance to your promotion methods.

Any additional information would be helpful but as I said, it may be
    best to hang on to your application for now and have you contact us
    again in the near future with progress.

Thank you,

*Mark Kalbach*
    Director of Compliance

I guess my only option is to run a few campaigns to get my website "up to snuff" to get a little more experience, then re-apply.

Well, I just got an email from Mark Kalbach saying they would prefer I get some experience, then re-apply. I'll give it a month or two, then go ahead and re-apply with some stats.

5. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I combined the two threads, as there is no reason to basically duplicate this question in two places on the forum.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Affiliate Network Rep Chad-AvantLink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilCarson View Post
    Well, I just got an email from Mark Kalbach saying they would prefer I get some experience, then re-apply. I'll give it a month or two, then go ahead and re-apply with some stats.
    Hi Phil and welcome to the ABW community! (and thanks for the donuts in the other thread!)

We're glad you're interested in joining the network. As you've listed above, we definitely want to make sure that affiliate sites have a bit of history, content, etc to help get the ball rolling as they start in AvantLink. Our reasoning for this is to ensure that the merchant programs you apply to join on the network understand just what you represent and do as an affiliate. I'm sure you'll understand that many brands who see an application from an affiliate with a landing page and not much more at the moment will likely deny that application based on a lack of content or purpose. That's not to say you don't have great plans for that content or purpose, but often times it's much easier to build up relationships with merchants when you have a demonstrable history on your site.

We would love to have you as an affiliate on AvantLink once you've gotten the ball rolling a bit more on your site. When you feel your site is ready from a content perspective, please do followup with us and we'll take it from there!

8. Thanks From:

Thank you Chad - I really do appreciate the input.

I'm looking at affiliate marketing style WordPress themes right now to snazz up the sight a bit. I'll put up a few campaigns, maybe a review or 2, and we can go from there. Does that sound like it will work for you guys?

Thanks again,
    Phil

Affiliate Network Rep Chad-AvantLink's Avatar
    I'm looking at affiliate marketing style WordPress themes right now to snazz up the sight a bit. I'll put up a few campaigns, maybe a review or 2, and we can go from there. Does that sound like it will work for you guys?
    Well, yes and no. First and foremost, we don't gauge perceived quality of a site based on if that site is running ad campaigns (affiliate or other). Advertising provides zero indication of quality. For us, it really is 100% about content.

You mention reviews for example. Reviews about what? Are they about products that are relevant to what any of our merchants sell? Is there a history of consistent reviews that affect the editorial direction of your site? Is there a reasonable assumptions that a reader (and merchants in this case) can expect to see more reviews of products related to the verticals of products you've written about in the past? Does your consistent history of content production give visitors an expectation of when they can see your next round of editorial content?

If we can answer 'no' to any of those questions, an application is likely to not be approved. Please don't take this in a discouraging way, but two reviews is unlikely to meet those qualifications. For affiliate sites, we look for indications of longevity and future planning based on content production around a vertical, industry, or something that you're passionate or an expert about.

We definitely realize it's frustrating for affiliates who do have full intentions, probably like yourself, to build up a high-quality site that's in it for the long run. But until we can see some history on an affiliate site, we continue to deny the many blogs that apply each day that have a flurry of posts over a week and then never post again for two years.

AvantLink does its best to enable affiliates with different, unique and very powerful cutting edge ad tools (think WAY beyond the banner ad) and datafeeds. On the other half, we try to enable our merchants by making sure the affiliates on the network are the most vetted and absolutely serious affiliates in the industry. I hope that's an understandable mindset.

Get a few months of content under your belt. Don't focus on a specific number of posts, but more about establishing your site's own brand and purpose. At that point, please reach back out to us and we'll likely be able to move forward.
    Last edited by Chad-AvantLink; January 7th, 2015 at 11:46 AM.

Chad, Thank you - that is exactly the type of input I am looking for.

I plan on using BBQ as my niche, and anything related to it. Outdoor cooking, food safety, recipes, competitions, hosting a BBQ forum, etc.

I'll work on it, and when I get a steady stream of followers and forum users I'll re-apply.

Thanks again,
    Phil

12. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Phil - cool niche. If you know your stuff and put some good content out there, you will have no problem getting approved. One of the reasons I enjoy working with AvantLink is that there is a bit higher barrier to entry. This means that as an affiliate manager, I know that someone is a bit more developed coming in the door if they come through AvantLink because they have made it through their process. CJ approves pretty much everyone that comes in the door without really reviewing and as a Manager this creates a ton of extra work to review and weed out the garbage apps from the good ones. SAS is better because they at least require a live site and have a process to verify ownership of the sites you're claiming. I don't miss working with CJ or their hundreds of bogus applications from India with guys claiming Google.com as their website in the least.

BTW Phil - when you get approved - got all kinds of team logo tailgate/grilling/barbecue stuff for you to sell.
    Last edited by AffiliateWarrior; January 7th, 2015 at 01:41 PM.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

14. Thanks From:

Chad, Thank you - that is exactly the type of input I am looking for.

I plan on using BBQ as my niche, and anything related to it. Outdoor cooking, food safety, recipes, competitions, hosting a BBQ forum, etc.

I'll work on it, and when I get a steady stream of followers and forum users I'll re-apply.

Thanks again,
    Phil
    Sounds like a great niche, Phil. Get something together with unique narrative and you should be good to go. I haven't seen much emphasis on food safety - that could be a good "hook" for attracting some attention.

Don't worry too much, initially, about forum users. That can be a tough nut to crack. Get a few interesting pages of narrative together first. When you do, I may be able to provide a bit of social media love. I've got 25,000 Facebook "beach" fans - some of whom may wast to read about BBQ and grillin' during the off season.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Well thank you, Bill!

I started a BBQ website a while back, just haven't done anything with it yet. (Actually, I own over 20 domains for various reasons.) I just put up the responsive WordPress theme for the home page and will go from there.

And boy, I could use some beach fans!

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Phil - cool niche. If you know your stuff and put some good content out there, you will have no problem getting approved. .
    Thank you - I do! I'm one of the top posters a a relatively well-to-do BBQ forum.

CJ approves pretty much everyone that comes in the door without really reviewing and as a Manager this creates a ton of extra work to review and weed out the garbage apps from the good ones. SAS is better because they at least require a live site and have a process to verify ownership of the sites you're claiming. I don't miss working with CJ in the least.
    Yeah, that's what I'm finding out. At the very least, I'm going to concentrate on the ins-n-outs of SAS, and then learn CJ. By then I should (hopefully) be qualified for AdvantLink.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I think if you just spend a couple weeks getting some good content built and your social channels established, you'll be all set.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

19. Thanks From:

I think if you just spend a couple weeks getting some good content built and your social channels established, you'll be all set.

Horse. Cart.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

21. Thanks From:

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread