Are Subdomains Okay To Use?
    So, say I decide to sell widgets. Is it better to make a website for the product or is it okay to use a subdomain on my current website? Or does it make any difference at all?

Example: widgets.com vs. widgets.myexisringwebsite.com

Thanks!
    Phil

P.S. I don't own either of those sites - they're just examples
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; January 8th, 2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: removed link

I think subdomains are okay.
    Other people may have different opinions.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It depends upon how you are going to generate traffic. Something that might help you decide is to look at the information out there from reliable sources on the decrease of importance on EMD (Exact Match Domain)... and the difference between EMD and PMD (Partial Match Domain). There are search issues as well as branding issues you will want to consider.

Will your current domain rankings help boost the new subdomain? Will the subdomain want to survive on it's own in the future?

My rule of thumb is to make sure the domain and any subdomains are in the same industry.

With the small cost of a top level domain, I will opt for new domain for a new "vertical" or new "industry"... and with a new domain I do not worry about EMD or PMD.

My two cents.

Lindy

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy Rig View Post

My rule of thumb is to make sure the domain and any subdomains are in the same industry.

With the small cost of a top level domain, I will opt for new domain for a new "vertical" or new "industry"... and with a new domain I do not worry about EMD or PMD.

My two cents.

Lindy
    That's what I was thinking. Something like:

redwidgets_companya.widgets.com
    bluewidgets_companyb.widgets.com
    greenwidgets_companyc.widgets.com

As opposed to:

redwidgets_companya.widgets.myexisringwebsite.com

And leave the main site as a general information/blog site about widgets in general

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    If you are planning to use these for affiliate marketing, it is also important to know that while some merchants are okay with these pages, others specifically forbid them.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Subdomains?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Sub-domains are just fine and dandy - the search engines have long figured out the structures of websites. So sub-domain.example.com and example.com/directory are basically equal.

Per what JCrooks was saying, merchants often forbid merchant-name.example.com and allow example.com/merchant-name. However, there are paranoid merchants that do not allow their name in the URL at all...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    If you are planning to use these for affiliate marketing, it is also important to know that while some merchants are okay with these pages, others specifically forbid them.
    Are you saying that merchants forbid subdomains or were you
    calling out the fact that Philcarson's use of "redwidgets_companya.widgets.com" might hint that company name is
    being used in the subdomain?

What if I have a site called BlueClothing.com
    and I want to use a subdomain DenimJeans? What's wrong with that?
    No brand names are being used.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Some merchants don't like/allow use of their brands in subdomains of an affiliate's site. I know we don't.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Some merchants don't like/allow use of their brands in subdomains of an affiliate's site. I know we don't.
    But if an affiliate steers clear of brand names in the subdomains and
    just uses generic descriptions, that should be okay

Don't put a company name or a trademarked trade name in a
    subdomain.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean use the company's actual name, just use that subdomain for their product only on a website that is geared toward that type of product vs. one master domain for all affiliate products, no matter what type of product it is.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Yes, Rhia, just wanted to make him aware that brandname.sitname.com could cause problems, but something generic link "denim jeans" wouldn't. And it's not even an issue with all merchants, but I've seen it in enough T&C's that I would rather suggest he confirm first rather than go through all the work of one involving a brandname only to discover that it's not permitted.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

It's good for newbies to know that they should not use a company name or a trademarked trade name in a domain or subdomain unless they own the trademark.

The use of generic descriptive subdomains is okay.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

There's no SEO value in using keywords as domain names anymore. If SEO's your goal, simply don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by login View Post
    There's no SEO value in using keywords as domain names anymore. If SEO's your goal, simply don't do it.
    That is not entirely true...

While it may be true for the Google, BingHoo does still look at domains and consider them for SEO. We have some exact match generic domains that do poorly in Goog but are still on page one with Bing and Yahoo.

Now we can wait for someone can come along and say that BingHoo is a "waste of time and effort" because the Google provides 80% of all search traffic. That's fine and I can agree with that statement. However, I'm certainly happy with the BingHoo traffic that we do get.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

16. Thanks From:

As The Bill says:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Now we can wait for someone can come along and say that BingHoo is a "waste of time and effort" because the Google provides 80% of all search traffic. That's fine and I can agree with that statement. However, I'm certainly happy with the BingHoo traffic that we do get.
    There's a ton of "one size fits all" advice floating around. Just because it's repeated ad nauseam like a mantra, doesn't mean that you should blindly follow it. Sometimes the best thing you can do is simply ignore it and remain focused on your core efforts.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

So, in getting back to Phil's original question. Yes, there has been a lot of advice bantered about. So how about we give him an indication of what is is that we do (and I'm sure there will be differences).

Who here uses sub-domains as a normal course of their affiliate business?

I'll start: With over a (few/several) dozen different sites online, including many, many small ones (tightly niche focused) in the checks vertical - I have exactly zero sub-domains in use.

Zero - 0 - nada - zilch- none.

However, there was a time (way back when) I had a hotel reservations site with a sub-domain (dynamically generated) for every city in the US. That proved to work not nearly as well as having another travel site with each city existing in a directory under one domain.

Next.....
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Ditto.

I have the same number - zero - sub-domains among my sites (both large ones and small, very focused niches).
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I'm up to the plate...

Of all of my sites, I have/had two sub-domains in use.. they were geographic specific, and did fine that way. But I have now purchased domains with " - " and will be moving them.

i.e. ga.mynichesite.com will now be ga-mynichesite.com

With the cost of domains a low barrier, with hosting companies allowing 100+ domains with one account, with EMD not giving significant juice... all those factors lead me to having more specific domains, rather than sub-domains

Lindy

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy Rig View Post
    [B]
    With the cost of domains a low barrier, with hosting companies allowing 100+ domains with one account, with EMD not giving significant juice... all those factors lead me to having more specific domains, rather than sub-domains

Lindy
    I was thinking the same thing - GoDaddy has online coupons for 99¢ .com sites and my host (HostGator) will allow tons of "AddOn Domains" for one low price.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilCarson View Post
    I was thinking the same thing - GoDaddy has online coupons for 99¢ .com sites and my host (HostGator) will allow tons of "AddOn Domains" for one low price.

Smart move in having your registrar and your hosting with different companies. Most everyone does the exact same thing.

23. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    We have a large site which is built using sub-domains

Not quite in the format of the above examples, but built using sub-domains, nonetheless. This was done for a multitude of reasons, least of all for SEO - BUT, that's not saying that even the Google doesn't 'appreciate' our site structure - seems to.

As for EMDs - Like Bill mentioned we do great on Binghoo while the Google spanked us hard.

You will find different views on different questions - however, if you think out your site clearly (like you appear to be doing based on your questions) AND build your NAVIGATION and site structure for the human visitor - you'll have far more success than if you do not...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

25. Thanks From:

I use a subdomain only for my static images, css, some scripts, etc. as I don't have enough to justify using a CDN. Seemed to improve site speed a tiny notch.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

I think sub domain wouldn't be ideal for you. Because every one expect for a easy and remember able domain name........

28. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread