I Want A Website, Not A Blog
    Will this be a problem for me? I'm a salesman. I'm not high pressure - I really do try to "help people to buy" rather than try to hard sell them whatever makes me the most money. That being said...

I have no desire to run a blog. I don't want to be in the affiliate marketing business to make a few extra bucks to support my blog and maybe take the family out to a nice dinner once a week. I plan on making a living at this. I have no lofty ideas about getting rich quick, although I do plan on being able to quit my day job in about a year - or hopefully less - to do this full time. Yes I know it's work, and I have no problem putting in the long hours it's going to take to make this happen.

So - what are your suggestions? Is there anyone else here doing the same thing I can exchange ideas with?

Please give me you honest opinions.

Thanks,
    Phil

ABW Ambassador
    Nobody can tell you how long it will take you to make a living from aff marketing. You are the only one who can answer it AFTER you have done it for a while. If you haven't made any money yet, you shd wait until you make some money first.
    A goal oriented approach may help. See how long it takes you to go from $0 to $1000. Then to $10000 and so on.

Also not all business models are scalable. A small super niche site can make a few hundred bucks per month but it may never be scaled up to make more. So you will need more niche sites to make more. That's easier said than done.
    Last edited by sam_park; January 11th, 2015 at 11:13 PM.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    You can do a site which simply displays products without a blog. Blogs can help significantly with SEO because of the constant stream of new content. Know that if you just cut and paste a datafeed, you could have many issues with duplicate content (because you'd be identical to everyone else who did that), and you are at the mercy of whomever created the datafeed content (bad writing, typo's, inconsistencies).
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

4. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Keep in mind that WordPress (for instance) is just a Content Management System and that you can make it look however you want using Themes or if you're willing to code or pay someone to do it. There are a lot of big sites out there built on WordPress because it's SEO friendly and a very powerful tool for site building and content management.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

6. Thanks From:

With Wordpress, you can create static pages, so it doesn't have to look like a blog. And then you have all the advantages of using WP plugins + SEO benefits as Wade said.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    It takes about 10 seconds to change the default "blog" home page to a standard "page" with wordpress regardless of the theme. The "blog" can be in the background, and you can have literally thousands of "Pages" at the forefront, attaining the look of a standard site with the benefits and versatility of WP.

There are many other programs out there that are almost as easy to use as WP, but that can provide different looks and for some may be more suited for affiliate sites. Most of my sites are built with RapidWeaver, which is an inexpensive and very easy to use and customize software system, but it is available only for Mac users.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

AffiliateHound I just took a look at RapidWeaver - and I like it a lot! You might not know, but does anyone else know of something similar for Windows? All I need is a simple interface to make simple web pages. I signed up for AffLanders, and it's a start, but just a little too simplistic

There is Adobe Dreamweaver. It used to sell for several hundred dollars, I believe (many times the cost of RapidWeaver) but now I think it is only available on a monthly fee basis, at something like $50/month for multiple sites.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Dreamweaver is the best, but it's got a large learning curve. Probably will take you several months just to get the hang of it. The most most important thing to quick success, is to find a niche that's not mega-competitive. Find a decent hosting company as see if they include basic html templates, and most importantly, a well supported shopping cart.

dingoblush:

1. Affiliates have no interest in or use for a shopping cart;
    2. "Niche" is a totally different topic - this discussion concerns blog v website and how and with what tools to get it built;
    3. "Templates" produce their own duplicate content issues. What is needed is a customizable CMS that can easily become something unique.

13. Thanks From:

Here's an afterthought - Joomla or WordPress?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilCarson View Post
    I've looked at both. I use Wordpress.
    YMMV
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Smile
    You might want to create something from an HTML boilerplate

How to use an HTML boilerplate | Web design | Creative Bloq
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

17. Thanks From:

Wordpress.

Been at this 10+ years and nothing works better then learning to code using PHP (or ASP) /CSS and MYSQL and using Dreamweaver as the editor. I bought a new version of Dreamweaver CS6 a month or so ago for about $199 well worth the money.

About giving up your day job good luck but I would never count on AM to pay my family's bills even though I make twice my wife's full time salary with AM, to many thing change, one hit from Google and it may take 2-3 years to recover if you ever recover at all.

Good Luck...
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

20. Thanks From:

I have no desire to run a blog.
    I used to have no desire to do many things. Now I'm a greeter at Walmart. Well, not really, but I do have a night job.

IMO you should build a blog to funnel to your website. Even though our blog isn't our top referrer, it does generate over 1000 referrals a month.

I believe that both i.e., blog and website are useful. You can tell your ideas through blog and you can extend your help through website.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread