ABW Ambassador
    Its that time again, the reversals have begun.

May all your ups and downs be in bed

Well I hope that was it! I only lost $10 today. Looking at my past reversal rates I would have expected a $30-$40 loss. Things might be looking up after all, but not in bed.

ABW Ambassador
    Mine are surprisingly low as well. I don't trust it.

Chet

So far I've had 3 waves of ebay reversals today, each one about 1 hour apart.

This is my first month where I have actually made money with CJ with products where reversals might happen.

Do the reversals show up when you run a transaction report? If so I must not have been hit yet....

Burke

Haven't got any reversals yet, Masde $5 from a registration from Ebay.

Jason
    Santa Cruz

ABW Ambassador
    This is my first month with no Ebay reversals whatsoever...because I canned them in January.

I can't tell you what a delight it is to not see all those stupid nickel posts for all those people that "didn't bid".

I think I have discovered self respect for having done this. Well worth a couple rolls of nickels.

Here's how I look at it.

Any eBay transactions that show up as Extended in a given month will most likely be reversed. If any are *not* reversed, I consider that a bonus.

This has basically been fact for the past few months. If a lead isn't accepted in the first day, it is almost never accepted in the following 29 days.

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

ABW Ambassador
    So kelly626, what auction site did you make money on this past month?

You can tell when the reverals are done by looking at the date of the correction.

For the 25th the reversals go through the 15th of the month. For the 10th it is 16th through the end of the month.

$20 and counting............

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    So kelly626, what auction site did you make money on this past month?

None. I discovered alot of people who didn't know much about Ebay and were signing up didn't realize Ebay was primarily an auction site of used items. Imagine that.

When I had described Ebay as it truly is following a text link, clickthroughs dropped dramatically, and very few signed up...but no reversals for these sign-ups.

I dropped the program after this.

People not knowing about Ebay get the impression it's some big Sam's Club like discount site. They're not looking to bid on used items from strangers.

You can either believe this, or believe that Ebay fraudulantly rips you off. One thing is certain, there is a reason for such high charge backs.

Try it yourself. Provide a text link to Ebay, and following it, describe Ebay as an auction site of used items. You may find you make just as much money...without the hassle of all multitudes of reversals from people with the wrong impression.

Notice that most Ebay banners don't do a good job describing Ebay as an auction site of used items. "Digital Camaras, click here", etc.

Ok, I'll sign-up. Maybe I'll find that great deal on a new digital camera. I might find it, buy it, make no bid on any of the auctioned used items. How much money did you make off me?

ABW Ambassador
    Yea, that sounds crazy and all.

Another aspect to consider is Ebay's reputation on the internet. Searching the newsgroups is a good place to look for information.

You hear all the stories such as this:

quote:
    More than two dozen online bargain hunters agreed to pay $605 apiece, in some
    cases wiring money to Germany. But there were no camcorders.

The two-day auction was a fraud.

I personally met the owners of Network Solutions while on business in Kansas City a few years ago. We engaged in a conversation about Ebay. The one gentleman told me how he was ripped off by someone on Ebay, and he was contemplating a lawsuit against the seller.

I imagine celebrities, government officials, and quite possibly some people's grandmothers have been taken by scam artists on Ebay.

I can no longer in good conscience promote them. Oh, yes, and they do have a suspiciously high reversal rate too.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I still got tagged wit a coupla leftover ebay bidders that got reversed. I did not drop the program, just stopped promoting them. I was spending WAY too much in PPC on them anyways - at one point I had 12,000 keywords pulling in auction or used item hunters - and I don't miss not spending that money a bit. The only way Imight use ebay in the future is to actually sell items. If they ever changed to a commission based strucutre, like a 30 day 5% commission on sales, maybe I would take a look, but this lead reversal crap is just too irritating. For now, not promoting ebay has made me quite happy.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

ABW Ambassador
    kelly626,I have to disagree. My ebay site is about nothing but ebay. Everyone visiting is coming to view auctions and nothing else. We have no banners, only text links.

We do pretty well and I think I understand our reversal rate and it has nothing to do with fraud, consider it an empty shopping cart. Anyone running a commerce site will tell you, people will spend hours filling a cart, only to leave it at the checkout with no real sense for why.

elbowcreek, i agree on not spending money for traffic to send to ebay, that will be a losing proposition. We do all of ours on free traffic and send about 2,500 to 4,000 clicks a day to ebay. That is traffic that simply has no other place to go but an auction site and even that I will say - it has no other place to go but eBay.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know. You never see people at the Wal-mart store leaving their filled baskets and walking out of the store, even though they might leave items here and there out of place they've changed their mind on.

Hours filling their baskets? Won't be putting up any Ebay Easter links for sure.

There is the mystery of the magic nickels to consider as well...

I still occassionally get nickels in my reports from sign-ups during the Christmas season. Funny thing is, most everyone of the sign-ups were reversed.

Notice how the nickels roll on in on a slow day. Is this Ebay's 5 cent message to you that you need to promote them more in the wake of declined sales from other merchants?

These and other Ebay mysteries when we return.

Speaking of reversals...

Is anyone else finding it incredibly hard to reconcile the money that should be your check from eBay/CJ?

I just received a check which should have represented all transactions from February that weren't extended, plus any leftover transactions from January that were converted to an Accepted status, not reversed.

So I downloaded all my February transactions, ignored the payment & the extended/reversed transactions, and totalled the amount to $240.90.

If there were any transactions leftover from January which were changed from Extended to Accepted, that would only increase that total.

Yet my check was for $232.24.

Why the difference? What am I doing wrong?

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

quote:
    Originally posted by kelly626:
    I don't know. You never see people at the Wal-mart store leaving their filled baskets and walking out of the store, even though they might leave items here and there out of place they've changed their mind on.

Not true..I have abandoned my cart many times at Walmart when they have 20 people in line and only one checkout open, while 5 or 6 employees stand at the customer service counter chatting away.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    Come to think of it Connie, I've left stores myself on occassion. But it was because I had very little (maybe a single item), and I just wasn't going to wait because of a shortage of checkers.

But I'll have to try the leaving a whole basket full some time. That'll make em think.

ABW Ambassador
    kelly626, I didn't realize you ran affiliate programs for inside of brick and mortar stores.

Online, abandoned shopping carts are a very,very, very common issue.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...+shopping+cart

chet

Amazingly enough, 0 reversals to-date with eBay on my site.

--
    "No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities – always see them, for they're always there." – Norman Vincent Peale
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ACK! Don't say it out loud, FFoc, you'll jinx yourself, lol.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

ABW Ambassador
    eBay sales way down for me. Had two reversals yesterday. Both had 5c bids register minutes after the $5 sign up. Very suspicious.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I abandoned my shopping cart at Sams Club a while back, but that was during a 7.something earthquake. :^)

>I personally met the owners of Network Solutions while on business in Kansas City a few years ago. We engaged in a conversation about Ebay. The one gentleman told me how he was ripped off by someone on Ebay, and he was contemplating a lawsuit against the seller.

Fancy that! Someone who "owns Network Solutions" complaining about getting ripped off.

Now would be a good time to quote the bible - it goes something like "reap what you sow" or something?

Jimmy James fan club membership # 3312

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread