View Poll Results: Is Google+ a "Virtual Ghost Town"?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 80.00%
  • No

4 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Is Google+ a "Virtual Ghost Town"?
    I do not use Google+ much, certainly not nearly to the extent that I use Facebook for business or personal uses. Some people in the know, however, love it and say it is essential to any complete social media marketing campaign. Expanding my use of Google+ is something I hoped to do this year.

But, in the "Net Briefs" column of the January issue of Website Magazine, in a brief note describing two new tools that Google+ has recently unveiled, they describe Google+ as a "Virtual Ghost Town".

Is it a virtual ghost town? Are they right, are they close, or are they crazy?

What do you think?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    It must because of the friends I have on it... but I find it completely boring. I'd rather look at pics of friggin' cats on FB then read any of the posts on Goog.

I belong to several G Groups, and no one ever responds to anyone's posts on these groups.

Best/Billy

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Added a Poll
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Talking
    Google+ is good for curating purposes.

Here's a recent article suggesting it's a Ghost town:
    Google+ Active Users - Business Insider

I have trouble finding my own previous posts on Facebook.
    Last edited by Rhia7; January 27th, 2015 at 10:04 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

5. Thanks From:

What is Google+?

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I'm in one circle that people communicate regularly, but that's because it's about software we purchased and there's updates, questions, etc. I've attempted to use it more, but can't get into it very much.

What's galling is the continued blogging about G+'s superior "SEO value"...is this the subliminal fear factor mentioned in another thread here?
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Umm, should have a Don't Know option Am there but majority I don't communicate with on a regular basis. Usually just go there when I receive a notification someone's added me. Basically, except invitations at all the places since am afraid of hurting feelings by not doing so.

Do receive the notifications tho so I take a look at what they've posted. Sometimes I do comment. Big * tho these are only the circles am in that are relevant to me tho like animals or teddy bears and not affiliated related.

Can't say if is really benefiting for other reasons for anybody.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Seems Gmail too the +1 button out of the email updates to force you to go to the post to read and vote. I used to vote for those articles of interest or written by colleagues but now I delete the update emails.

I have heard from several sources that G+ does give an SEO bump which is a bias towards G. It certainly is a lame excuse for a competitor to Facebook.

10. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Personally only know ONE person who uses this 'service'.

Who's using as a non-marketer?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

12. Thanks From:

We like google+ and wish it was more popular.

Never been there. Who has time for all the "other" social media sites?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Don't know. Never been there.

17. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    Don't know. Never been there.
    Same.

19. Thanks From:

I might be 'out of the norm' here, but Google+ has been great for me, much moreso than FB or Twitter. I started my account about a year ago and have almost 700 followers and over 7,000,000 views (none of which were attained through paid ads or follower gimmicks). I would have probably over 1100 followers, but I'm also very picky about who I allow to follow us and who I block. One of my favorite perks with this as opposed to FB is that you don't have to pay for your business page posts to "reach" more people. They become part of everyone's feed, just like any other regular post.

As with all social media, sure - it can be boring. But personally I enjoy it. FB just has WAY too much drama. G+ doesn't. And it's allowed me to go beyond my immediate circle of friends and meet many new people. Something FB can't do as easily.

On the other hand, G+ can be monotone - you see the same things over and over again. And getting true interaction with people can be difficult. But I like the communities in G+ and the nice add-ons like Google Hangouts for live virtual chats. And G+ is made by Google, so the theory is that the presence of a good G+ account can only help your ratings by Google.

That all said, because of my niche, I'm starting to find that I NEED FB. And though I can't stand that I have to pay for ads and posts, it does offer targeting options that G+ doesn't seem to have (yet). So this year I'm a bit more focused on that platform.

21. Thanks From:

Is Google+ a "Virtual Ghost Town"?
    Quote Originally Posted by americasfootprints View Post
    fb just has way too much drama. G+ doesn't.

> <---- applause smiley

23. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    I do not use Google+ much, certainly not nearly to the extent that I use Facebook for business or personal uses. Some people in the know, however, love it and say it is essential to any complete social media marketing campaign. Expanding my use of Google+ is something I hoped to do this year.

But, in the "Net Briefs" column of the January issue of Website Magazine, in a brief note describing two new tools that Google+ has recently unveiled, they describe Google+ as a "Virtual Ghost Town".

Is it a virtual ghost town? Are they right, are they close, or are they crazy?

What do you think?
    Hi Everybody,

Yes Google+ is very beneficial for new business as well as established business to gain visibility in search results it is necessary to have business page. You also get a URL for the page. Take a look at shared information it is useful.

With Google+ Local, users can discover and share places. Through the scoring system they can get information and read reviews of a business before even visiting it. The info comes from those who have already been there and/or are already part of THEIR circles, hence, people they know and trust.

Alex Steven
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; January 31st, 2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Removed link to paid service and manual sig

I like Google+. I wouldn't exactly call it a ghost town. It's not as popular as Facebook but there are plenty of people who actively use it. It's just a different kind of audience. Getting attention on G+ is a whole lot easier than doing the same on Facebook.

G+ is great for SEO, and it's a lot cheaper too. Having said that, it's not best for every niche. G+ has a specific kind of audience unlike Facebook which has almost everyone, so whether you will have people following you on G+ or not depends upon your marketing, and also on your niche.

I both use google+ and facebook. And I think google+ like a school, google school, we comply with the school rules, that's all. Facebook like a building, they have their own rules.

Not ghost, not a town. A homepage from 1994. Google is probably losing money on that one. Good.

28. Thanks From:

Google+ Traffic
    I do post to Google+ and have made a few useful contacts there. However for links to my blog articles it doesn't get as much traffic as Twitter or Facebook but this could be just due to having a lower number of Google+ friends.

I also don´t know many people who wuolud really use this site, even if they are members.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Went to a social media meetup Monday and a Google Hang Out expert showed up. Evidently G is giving significant relevance to Google Hang Out which also publishes to YouTube.

If it was tweaked and improved a bit more, it has serious potential to fill in the gap between Facebook (which is too casual) and LinkedIn (which is the other side of the spectrum, fully professional and, to me, a little dry and sterile).

I would've thought it should be considered a ghost town, however I get reports on my views on FB and have a counter on my G+ profile - and shockingly far more people look at my business on G+ than on FB. This is despite me giving up on G+ because of initial headaches with profile administration and thinking it was dead, so making most of my posts on FB.

G+ is good for, if nothing else, SEO as I hear google loves mining data from there and rewarding users.

Statistically, they can make it look dead, because they forced new google account/gmail users (of which there must've been many, fuelled by the growth of Android) to get a G+ account at the same time, similarly they tied it in with YouTube too, before recently removing that link. Therefore, despite there being 2.2bn accounts, I reckon only about 8% of those users even know they have an account.

As a business, the obvious two platforms are Facebook and Twitter. I then lump G+ in with the second line of services along with Pinterest, LinkedIn, Instagram etc - platforms that may be of use to the right person/business using it in the right way. In some cases, Twitter hasn't been appropriate so I've set up FB and G+ for people instead.

All the above points are related to small businesses in niche markets, and not to affiliate sites

33. Thanks From:

I think G+ is a fairly "smart" social network that it tries to put privacy first. You put people into circles and can choose what to share with whom which is pretty cool for privacy / posting by demographic. I cannot count how many times I want to post something on Facebook but pull back because I wouldn't want my clients to see it. Don't get me wrong I know Facebook has these features but G+ places them front and center thus making them a whole lot more obvious.

In my experience with G+ it's pretty much DOA. The friends of mine who do post are mostly self promoting. I've also noticed the people's posting habits/behavior on G+ is somewhat of a cross between Facebook and Linked In. You try and be more professional on Linked In than Facebook. G+ seems to be somewhat of a middle ground.

35. Thanks From:

I like facebook better ,but Google +is ok for me too.I really want know how to get more followers on both facebook and google+.

I have a facebook page ,named ...,but only little followers,I feel not good these days.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; May 6th, 2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: removed self-promotion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast