Tax Paying Member
    Do you promote the merchant or do you promote sales
    This may sound like a newbie question.....but I am curious.....

Do you as an affiliate promote the Merchant's name and place of business.......or........Do you promote the products of a Merchant.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Products........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Products...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Always products. People are online looking for specific items.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Assuming you are trying to sell a tangible product that one can hold in your hands, you always promote the product. The merchants come and go and it is true that a merchant no reputation that turns bad can hurt the affiliate. But as an affiliate you are trying to add value to the product not the reputation of the merchant so the user will actually buy the product. A good affiliate (and I'm not saying I am one) will presell the product before the user ever gets to the merchants site.

Unless you are doing a comparison of similar merchants that sell products and are willing to be ultra-critical of them, then you are 'selling the merchant'. But if you do this you must be sincere. If you make a mistake and give a good rating to a bad merchant for financial reasons, your reputation will become shot very quickly.

But there are times to sell the merchant and I believe those times are when you are selling a service not a product. Because the service and the service provider are interlinked and thus you have to make the visitor know that the merchant providing the service is a good merchant.

IMHO
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

6. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    products .... 98.9%
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Products.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    In the beginning of launching an affiliate program we promote the merchant to get the name out and for minimal branding. Then we focus on the products and in the case of an unbranded merchant we will often times strip the branding and focus on the generic product. Additionally when we promote the merchant its usually to the affiliate showing the benefit of high conversion, good commissions and low reversal rates.

10. Thanks From:

On our checks sites we promote the products. On one of our checks sites we do both and I am about to add a merchant-specific sub section to GirlyChecks.

On our nicke travel sites we promote individual hotels AND our white-label Bookable.com site. I sometimes see a booking in Michigan or Californina with a reference tag from one of our Ocean City or Baltimore sites.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Tax Paying Member
    Thanks for the responses..........I have always promoted the product....

Recently, I have gotten the impression that some merchants are more interested in getting there name out front.

Maybe I am just in a fowl mood.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I'll second that .
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    Thanks for the responses..........I have always promoted the product....

Recently, I have gotten the impression that some merchants are more interested in getting there name out front.

Maybe I am just in a fowl mood.

Those merchants are doing it wrong - an affiliate program is direct response marketing. Sell, sell, sell or don't do it.

Bob

ABW Ambassador
    Always promote products.

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    I see this all the time, even been asked several time to give them a direct link so they can boast their SEO ranking. Their goal in the long run is to get more direct traffic and get ride of their affiliates. And the funny thing is their a lot of affiliate out their who are willing to help them do this.

One example this week is a merchant want me to give my visitors a 10% discount if I help them get my visitors to signup for the merchants mailing list!!
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    One example this week is a merchant want me to give my visitors a 10% discount if I help them get my visitors to signup for the merchants mailing list!!
    Do they pay for the order if the customer signs up for the email list and then orders within the cookie duration or is it reversed? Alternatively, are they paying for email sign-ups?

It was just a regular discount code affiliate link in their weekly email with text something like "Get 10% off at XYZ if you signup for their Mailing List today"

I guessing a lot of affiliates with automated scripts were promoting the merchant mailing list without even knowing they were doing so.

19. Thanks From:

Being a merchant we want the affiliates to promote our products.

Our brand sells itself.

21. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Our focus from the merchant end is getting affiliates to promote the products... the branding we gain from banners is great, but I'd rather see the revenue and we get more revenue from product and text links than we do for more brand focused banner ads by a long shot.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

our compny promote the products.

We promote products first and foremost - our readers are looking for specific types of products, and don't necessarily care as much about the brand/merchant. I do, however, promote a brand or merchant when it fits within the content I'm creating. There are times that promoting a brand makes more sense than just pushing a product that everyone is offering. I let the content make the decision (though most times the decision is to promote the product).

My approach is similar to Chubstr's. Most of the time, I focus on promoting products, but I do some of both kinds of promotion. I sometimes introduce readers to several competing choices for an item, and I also like giving my readers a clue about where they'll end up if they click a link. In those cases, it works out well for me to write something like "You can buy these pink widgets at merchantx.com, merchanty.com and merchantz.com," along with appropriate affiliate links to each merchant.

I vote "no" on posting banner ads, though. When I was a newb at this, I put up zillions of them and never made a penny with them. More recently, I've experimented with using them as backfill for CPM ads on a couple of ad-driven sites. I try to stick to posting only banner ads that I'd personally find intriguing enough to click on (those are rare) but still found that they haven't converted well.

26. Thanks From:

Neither the affiliate or the manager is rewarded for brand promotion so it is products all the way. Products bring the call to action you need for the conversion
    Stephanie Robbins
    Robbins interactive

Between those two choices... The product.

But you also have to keep in mind the old (yet very true) saying, "Sell The Sizzle, Not The Steak". So it's not so much about the product, but what the product can do for the consumer!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

@Phil: the accurate number is sarcastic or is it based on something? I'm 98.9% sure is sarcastic, but I like to be 100% always sure
    Last edited by Cristina; April 2nd, 2015 at 09:41 AM. Reason: forgot to quote

30. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread