Logging on to CJ I see I have a CJ Advisor box at the top of the screen. Upon clicking it, I get:

quote:
    Advisor Delete Advice (On Close)

You are currently using one or more invalid links.
    For your convenience, we’ve included a link to your Invalid link report here.

To use this report in the future, please go to the RUN REPORTS tab, where you’ll find the "Custom Reports" drop down menu. Select the option for "Invalid links generating traffic".

Step 1: Run report
    Step 2: Identify the invalid links
    Step 3: Substitute the bad links with new advertiser links immediately
    Step 4: Start generating commissions again!

Well, I followed the instructions and found two invalid links (deactivated merchants). The problem is that it does not list the referring URL's. How the heck do I find these with the dozens of sites I have?

I think what we have here is an invalid report generator for listing invalid links.

Thanks for the advice CJ, but it really did not help at all. Hope upgrade 6.0 resolves this. I really would like to know where my invalid links are so I can delete them.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

So the 6.0 interface started, eh? Wow!

ps, this is my 99th post...

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268
    ::visit our private forum on abw::

Patrice,

Don't think they've implemented it yet. This feature has been here before, with varying levels of advice. I think it is a great idea, but it is not very functional at this time.

Resond to my post and make it 100!

Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

Well, I was going to post "this is my 100th post" 100 times, but I think that's maybe a little excessive. Then I was going to line up 100 dancing bananas, but it was too mezmerizing and I began to fall asleep. So I guess there isn't going to be anything utterly stupefying about this, my 100th post.. Oh well.

-patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

quote:
    Originally posted by 7-days:
    Well, I followed the instructions and found two invalid links (deactivated merchants). The problem is that it does not list the referring URL's. How the heck do I find these with the dozens of sites I have?
    I "think" that when there is no referring url, that the activity is from cached versions of the page in places like WayBackMachine, perhaps even related to their, or others, crawls as I had a few pages worth last week but am down to a couple now. When I still have the link on a page from a deactivated merchant (or after I dumped one) it generally (or used to) shows the url.

As to how to find them when it doesn't, with BeFree you have a unique merchant ID, with CJ you may be able to find a unique section of the code (in addition to the link ID which would only work on that one) to do a global search - I just dumped Catalog City and found them all by searching on "ccimg" I think it was.

Just another, um, quirk in CJ's control panel.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Patrice ..you are an artist and a welcome relief as another pro-affiliate AM.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I have the same message at CJ, and the invalid link they show is one I know has been removed for a long time.

Someone or some thing must have a really old cache out there, and people are clicking on the old ads.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

quote:
    I "think" that when there is no referring url, that the activity is from cached versions of the page in places like WayBackMachine, perhaps even related to their, or others, crawls as I had a few pages worth last week but am down to a couple now.

That would explain a lot of what I see. Thanks for the explanation. It would be helpful if CJ could include this type of information when they atempt to give out advice.

Ecom, thanks for your message. It's quite a compliment!

Ron - good luck with your referring url issue, and hopefully, maybe, I still hold out hope...CJ will rectify that advisor soon.

-patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

Patrice your program and website deserves more promotion from me. I'll take time to make sure I send you more clicks as I don't have to worry that some parasitic affiliate or diversion trickery takes place to eliminate my commission potential.

I'll start to actively take some CJ -BeFree and Linkshare Merchants to task as more affiliate managers seem desperate to eliminate commission checks to normal affiliates.

Amazing how this community can make or break merchant's programs and turn many of them around when their AM's play fair. Catching someome like eHobbies reversing sales back as far as 10 months, not reporting new sales and carrying steady reversal ratios above 80% needs exposure. Replacing their links with Hobbytron doesn't bring results since that AM just got blasted by me for ZERO sales on hundreds of clicks from very targeted pages.

WalMart went from 1/66 conversion ratio in Nov/Dec to 1/2118 for all of Jan-March and took 3 months to pay up on the commissions when their shopping cart was turned on. Shame on Linkshare for even letting them have merchant status. I just blasted Computer Geeks for developing a new e-mail alert system on all product pages and purposely showing nothing but OOS product links at BeFree. Their conversion ratio and commission exposure went from 1/85 to 1/580 when they devised this scheme and they refuse to come here and learn from TigerDirects Andy what a good AM could do to make their program competitive.

I see some defending Collectables Today over GoCollect for just cause but thta AM still doesn't pay commisisons on time and their conversion ratio sucks just like GoCollect with or without parasites. Crooked affilates are a fact of life but lazy and scheming affiliate managers are also a scourge of this industry.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Wow, THANKS, Ecom! I could really use the boost!!

I have to give credit to my company, though - they hired me to ONLY handle the affiliate program. I really feel for those guys out there who have many hats in addition to their AM cap. I feel pretty grateful that I can concentrate on my affiliates. I think there are plenty of AMs out there who can't. (There are also enough out there that just won't, too, though.)

The downside (if you can call it that) is that I have to really perform now - so that is why I am so grateful when someone like Ecom helps me out.

Rock on,
    -patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

My main site, as many here will point out, is a test bed for evaluating merchants ability to convert. I don't use any e-mail marketing tactics or push any PPCSE traffic with keywords. Basically if a merchant AM can sell the shoppers at EcomCity they should be able to sell on any of the 7800 affiliate sites represented here at a higher level.

Over a month ago I took a liking to Akiva with Essential Apparel due to his willingness to absorb what his affiliates needed to help boost sales. Without product links, which I owe his fine program as needed exposure, my not ready for prime time CyberMall does OK for him.

essentialapparel.com MARCH earnings=$114.09 sales=12 0 clicks=442 impressions=23,292 0.019 $4.90 0.025 EPC=$25.81

Main thing is Akiva is willing to run a parasite free program modeled after Andy of Tiger Direct so a steady 1/40 conversion ratio should be seen by all his affiliates including me.

Main goal for any affiliate manager is try and achieve & maintain better than a 1/100 conversion ratio to deserve a showcase merchant status. Once that status is earned then they can sit back and address way to get affiliates to guarantee them 100 clicks per day and make some real money. It is a real dissappoint for me to find that some merchants getting that 100+ clicks a day from my savvy shoppers go from a 1/60 conversion ratio to 1/900 by throwing their Easter Eggs into the BHO parasite basket or employing diversion tactics.

I'll plan to rotate Eastwood into more traffic sections and let you slug it out with JC Whitney. Worse that can happen is I'll have referred some happy customers into a spamm free merchant.

Charlie ...

Ecom, again, thanks!!

Actually, in terms of product, there is only a small amount of overlap between JCW and Eastwood. Rick's a class act with great skills and a great company to back him up, and I have a great deal of respect for him and for JCWhitney. I think that we'll both do well with marketing efforts from you!

Thanks again...

-patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread